[NBR] Interesting Study on Riding in the Rain

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

runtotorun121

[NBR] Interesting Study on Riding in the Rain

Post by runtotorun121 »

Interesting post from a vintage Honda board:

Being caught in the rain, during a ride,
is dangerous in more than one way.

University of Tennessee - Knoxville - Medical Research Team - 8/2/08

Those who are exposed to the road film mix that is sprayed into the air, after or during a typical summer downpour, need to understand that they must protect themselves from exposure to this bacteria, chemical, disease laden bath.

Teams studied samples taken during May 2008 rain storms, that were collected from I-65 south of Brentwood. The specimens collected of the highway film, found that the water sprayed into the air by traffic had heavy concentrations of Staphylococcus, along with over 30 types of other air and liquid born diseases and contaminants.

Most surprising was the high level of virus and bacteria examples that are found typically in human and animal expectorations and feces.

The teams determination is that the improper and illegal dumping of Motor home waste tanks and debris from animal transportation vehicles, on the highway surface, may explain the high concentration of these types of liquefied waste products.

Any exposure to this liquid can cause dozens of serious diseases of the skin, eyes and other organs. Other exposed bodily surfaces, including parts that become wet through soaked clothing, are at risk. Skin, eye and throat diseases are most common. But contamination is not limited to those areas.

After being exposed to road waste water, victims can develop severe red, swollen and painful pimples, or boils on any expose surface. The lesions can turn into impetigo, which turns into a crust on the skin, or cellulites, a swollen, red area of skin that feels hot to the touch. These types of staph bacteria are very resistant to certain antibiotics, making infections extremely harder to treat.

Caution is suggested to insure that there is no bodily contact with this liquefied road waste.
~Celebrate~
docutech

Post by docutech »

Another reason to wear your gear all the time. :nerd:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ew.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I've always had a rule to not ride in the rain. Now I have yet another reason to avoid riding in rain. Yech.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i think it rains enough here that its not as much of an issue...

at least that is what i am now telling myself.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

MikieTaps wrote:i think it rains enough here that its not as much of an issue...

at least that is what i am now telling myself.
Hey, what's that brown thing on your faceshield?
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

:bleh:

thanks for the info, run.
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

All the MORE reason to ride in the rain. Our immune systems need practice for when Scootists take over the world.
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

ericalm wrote:ew.
Totally. Good thing it rains so much here - there's no time for buildup of all that crud!
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Is anyone else thirsty?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronin_000/

"We're just all jealous that you will be able to ride for more than 45 minutes without your butt going numb." - jmazza
Schwiering

Post by Schwiering »

I-65 south of Brentwood
I sure am glad that I don't live anywhere near this place! :roll: Oh, wait, bad news for me.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Schwiering wrote:
I-65 south of Brentwood
I sure am glad that I don't live anywhere near this place! :roll: Oh, wait, bad news for me.
And all those people who moved from the 'ville to Franklin think they are hot sh...

wait... they kind of are!
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

madtolive wrote::bleh:

thanks for the info, run.
:D

When my husband told me that he had read this I said I had to post a copy on our board because I was certain it would initiate. . .instigate? :wink: . . .the interesting discussions that occur here. :)

Doesn't deter me a bit, but I figured my husband would carry a plastic tarp with a couple of arm and eye holes to cover himself if it started raining. :rofl: But, no, my theory was tested today and he rode off in the face of feces. . .or is that feces in face? :shock: GAG!

MikieT, I wondered the same thing you guys mentioned about the NW. I thought that maybe the rain frequency might clean things up a little for you guys, but then I realized that it wasn't exactly like oil since there seems to be a continual supply of saliva and urine and poo hitting the ground. . . :wtf:

Okay, off to see what else I can find to entertain myself at one week of no-scooter-riding and counting. . . :?
~Celebrate~
skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

You think that "the crap" might be more prevalent on the Interstate than on all the side streets that scooters frequent. I don't see motor homes cruising around my town. I think people might be less likely to "dump their load" on city streets.

Like I was planning on riding on the Interstate in the rain! Holy crap! I think feces in the face would be the least of my problems! :)
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

well it did say "human and 'animal' expectorations and feces".

Can you say lugies and dog, rat, hippo poo? :wink:
~Celebrate~
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

MikieT, I wondered the same thing you guys mentioned about the NW. I thought that maybe the rain frequency might clean things up a little for you guys, but then I realized that it wasn't exactly like oil since there seems to be a continual supply of saliva and urine and poo hitting the ground. . . :wtf:

But you see, it's more dilute here than in places where it rains less often! Right? Right? :no:
- Albert Schweitzer

www.olygeek.com
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

coffeekittie wrote: But you see, it's more dilute here than in places where it rains less often! Right? Right? :no:
ummm. . .yes. ?
:wink:
~Celebrate~
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Oh Man, Not the post to read while I am eating my breakfast :bleh:

Next time I get caught in the rain I am going to freak out a bit . . . then again, it builds up your immune system, right !
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

however yicky it may be, i am sure the good folks in atlanta would love some of it to fall into lake lanier
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

There's not a lot of detail but this study was one month on one stretch of highway.

Depending on just HOW far South of Brentwood they were, it starts to get rural pretty fast.

Motor home waste dumping and animal transport waste.

I don't see a lot of that kind of traffic around I95 in South Florida. I just wonder how representative a study this is.
Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin »

My excitement for riding in the rain for the first time just vanished... thanks :cry:
Scooting is ZEN....
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

You're probably getting some of the same 'crap' when you're riding in the safety of your cage. I doubt if the ventilation systems can keep everything on the outside from getting inside. You may not be getting splashed or wet but you're probably breathing in all kinds of stuff. If you don't think so just drive past a dead skunk with your windows rolled up and tell me where the smell is coming from. Those are very small particles that just got into your car.

I seriously agree with one poster that said it just helps to build our immunity.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Geez, yet another reason to be afraid to ride! Don't you boo birds ever get tired of scaring yourselves? :roll:

Been riding for 30 years. And when you go interstate, you have to accept the weather. IMO that's what riding is all about! I suspect many of you boo birds must just peek your scooter out of the garage on cloudy days, then put it right back in again! :shock:

Someone asked me years ago about my motorcycle: "What do you do when it rains?"
"I get wet", I told them... 8)

Stop looking for all these terrible things that might happen to you; life's too short to be so terribly neurotic and frightened! :twisted:

Sheeeesh!! :roll:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

Drumwoulf wrote:Geez, yet another reason to be afraid to ride! Don't you boo birds ever get tired of scaring yourselves? :roll:

Been riding for 30 years. And when you go interstate, you have to accept the weather. IMO that's what riding is all about! I suspect many of you boo birds must just peek your scooter out of the garage on cloudy days, then put it right back in again! :shock:

Someone asked me years ago about my motorcycle: "What do you do when it rains?"
"I get wet", I told them... 8)

Stop looking for all these terrible things that might happen to you; life's too short to be so terribly neurotic and frightened! :twisted:

Sheeeesh!! :roll:
:lol: I've been just joking myself... you are absolutely right! 8)
- Albert Schweitzer

www.olygeek.com
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

I have always said tn has the crappiest roads.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:I have always said tn has the crappiest roads.
:rofl:
lemontootsie

Post by lemontootsie »

eww gross!!
:shock:
UrbanBuddy82

Post by UrbanBuddy82 »

So when riding my scooter gives me a big, sh** eating grin.... it is literal?
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

So just don't open your mouth to try to catch the road spray for fun.. :D
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Don't eat yellow snow, don't drink brown water...even if it's being sprayed at you.
creampuff

Post by creampuff »

That particular stretch of road on I65 south of Brentwood is near the Williamson County Fairgrounds/Agricultural Center. The county fair, numerous dog shows, etc., right next to the highway. Motor homes are a staple of events there. There is also cattle land next to that. Who picked that stretch of road to study?