Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Panels & Paint Any Tips? [Updated] *Again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
addictionriot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Panels & Paint Any Tips? [Updated] *Again Reply with quote

So I've decided that I am now brave enough to paint Benny. I have several ideas, but I'm going to start with a basic one. Once I've seen how that goes I might just redo everything. Very Happy

I've already hit one problem, the screw on the front panel is really tight, is there a way to unscrew it without stripping it?

Do I need to sand it? If so what grade did you use?

Finally are there any step-by-step instructions on removing all the panels, tires, etc? I'm terrified I'm going to take it apart and either break something or not be able to put it back together. Shocked

Last edited by addictionriot on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:12 am; edited 2 times in total
xtetra

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take care lifting off the front panel. I broke one of the little plastic clips early this spring, but like an idiot I was taking it off on a cold day when the plastic was probably pretty brittle.

Are you using a spray gun or rattle cans?
addictionriot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planned on using Krylon.. seems to be the easiest

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic_mystic_prism wouldnt that be trippy...
maribell

2009 Stella-Orange

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is color is awesome!

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that does look cool. I saw a chrome some chrome body parts...I think on Scooterworks website. I know for a fact the piece that goes around the headlight but maybe fenders too...might look cool to mix em' up.

I think it would look pretty cool. Hope you post some pics for us all!
addictionriot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I was just using that as an example. I'm staying green Smile here is what I want:

but after looking at the Krylon website, it may not work with their spray. I dont see the colors I want.
OKBubbles

2008 Baby blue Buddy 125 "Bubbles" (RIP), 2008 Hyacinth Blue Buddy 125 "Dorothy"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the prism paint idea. Have you actually been able to find the paint in your area? I looked when I was getting ready to paint Dorothy, but couldn't find it ANYWHERE in town. My local stores all said they could order it -- but I'd have to order 6 cans, which is more than you would need, but could come in handy for future touch-ups. You might want to put on a coat or two of clear gloss when you finish, but try it out on a sheet of cardboard to see if it messes up the prism effect.

I painted my scoot with Krylon, and found 3 cans was more than enough. The front panel is the only one I removed completely, and then popped out the chrome/plastic logo before painting. The rest I carefully taped off with blue painters tape, and masked with newspaper and plastic bags. Tear the tape into small (1/2") pieces to work around the tight curves, and don't skimp on the paper and bags. Overspray is a pain, but I understand you can remove it with a bit of gasoline on a clean rag! I need to touch up a bit around the speedo frame with a small paintbrush. You'll also find that there is a tiny area underneath the "deadlights" that you can't get to without removing panels. My base color was orange, so if somebody just glances at it they might think it is just part of the light!

If I ever decided to do this again, I'd probably remove more panels. I think it would be less hassle and time to unscrew/screw than it was to do the masking! There are two guys who posted here (sorry, I don't remember who they were, but you might do a search to find their photos), who did an awesomely amazing job of repainting their scoots. As they removed each panel they numbered and labeled a section of the paper/drop cloth they used. The screws and fasteners for each panel were placed in the numbered sections so the whole thing got put back in the correct order and manner.

Post photos when you finish!
addictionriot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4865&highlight=lola

Was that what you were talking about?

Anyway I did see the prism paint at my local Walmart

I'm going to try it this weekend.. I have 3 days off so hopefully It will be in one piece by the time I have to work. Confused

Last edited by addictionriot on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
OKBubbles

2008 Baby blue Buddy 125 "Bubbles" (RIP), 2008 Hyacinth Blue Buddy 125 "Dorothy"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here they are . . .

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4150

Two beautiful (and One Of a Kind) Buddys!
addictionriot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one sweet scooter.
newslinky

Buddy International St. Tropez 150

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that chocolate colored one for sure and both are very nice to look at! I keep thinking I want to do something with my St Tropez but whenever I look at it with that thought in my head I think you know it looks damn good as it is. Very Happy
coffeekittie

2008 Genuine Buddy, 87 Honda Spree, 86 Honda Spree FOR SALE!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!!! Those are some amazing paint jobs!!!! I've been considering painting some detail on my girl, and seeing those pics has inspired me - I only hope I can do a decent job Razz
So impressed....

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
ericalm
Site Admin

STELLA FOUR STROKE FURY! + Vespa LX 150/190 + '87 Honda Helix CN250

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using the Krylon Fusion, you don't need to sand.
You can also buy clearcoat if you want.

Have you done much spraycan work? Consider practicing on something else.

addictionriot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericalm wrote:
If you're using the Krylon Fusion, you don't need to sand.
You can also buy clearcoat if you want.

Have you done much spraycan work? Consider practicing on something else.

I've never sparyed anything but theres alot around my house that I can practice on.

Is there a way I can match the Italia color for the trim? I also thought about taking it to a pro. If I took the trim off myself and gave it to them, how much could it possibly cost? The rest I can do, I just want that Italia green on the bottom to match as close as possible.
Jessica

'07 Buddy 50 "Peggy"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to paint my panels as well, but the Krylon Fusion has VERY limited color options. Would it be ok to use the Fusion primer, then cover that with a non-fusion product, and then cover that with a clear coat? In theory the paint should stick to primer, it's the primer sticking to the plastic panels that is an issue, right?
Modern Buddy Member #2753
Raleigh Scooter Organization #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
addictionriot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessica wrote:
I want to paint my panels as well, but the Krylon Fusion has VERY limited color options. Would it be ok to use the Fusion primer, then cover that with a non-fusion product, and then cover that with a clear coat? In theory the paint should stick to primer, it's the primer sticking to the plastic panels that is an issue, right?

ooo good point, anyone know?
hackett

2009 Stella 2T

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very excited about the Krylon Fusion until I saw the color range, too. Or at least the Krylon website made it look like choosing from a 16-color palette. Bleh
addictionriot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here he is:

Milehibuddy

Bronco Buddy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Fantastic color separation! Reply with quote

addictionriot wrote:
Here he is:

Awesome job!! Clap
I called Krylon in regards to applications with the Fusion paint.
They stated that sanding is not required, but the paint will adhere better to roughed up areas.
( I sanded the smooth panels with 1000 grit and the rough textured panels(interior cabin) with 400 grit)
They stated to clean very well with paint thinner to remove any oils and dirt.
I wanted a high gloss and wanted to use the Krylon UV protective clear coat but could not find it anywhere. I asked them what would be best and they stated "DO NOT CLEAR COAT OVER THE FUSION PAINT" it can cause the paint to blister and peel and could cause adhesion problems.
They recomended to use a high quality wax safe for plastic with a couple of coats. Mine ended up with a great shine although wax will not protect as well as a Clear Coat, the paint adhered and did not even scratch while putting it all back together.

Last edited by Milehibuddy on Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
addictionriot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clear coated but wasnt happy with the effect. The orange isnt actually Fusion. Its a marker paint that said would work on plastics. I have a feeling that I will have to redo this in the near future. It dried for 48 hours but I dont think its that sturdy. I think I did well for a first time.

EDIT: Oh yeah, we also wired the dead likes to turn signals Smile very easy, about 5 mins.
Jessica

'07 Buddy 50 "Peggy"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice scoot, addictionriot! Did you end up putting the skull on there? I'd like to see it if you did.
Modern Buddy Member #2753
Raleigh Scooter Organization #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
addictionriot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessica wrote:
Nice scoot, addictionriot! Did you end up putting the skull on there? I'd like to see it if you did.

Not yet. I didnt put the stripes on the back either. I didnt think I would have enough time. Maybe another long weekend...

I couldnt find any plastic paint that even came close to the original Italia green, so I went with the same hammered silver as the stripes. It will work for now.
k1dude

'08 Orange Buddy 125

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fantastic color separation! Reply with quote

Milehibuddy wrote:
They recomended to use a high quality wax safe for plastic with a couple of coats. Mine ended up with a great shine although wax will not protect as well as a Clear Coat...

Did you check with Krylon that you can wax the paint that soon? Most paints continue to outgas their organic solvents for about a month. If you wax them within that month you are usually asking for problems. Make sure you give the paint enough time to cure before waxing.
Milehibuddy

Bronco Buddy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fantastic color separation! Reply with quote

k1dude wrote:
Milehibuddy wrote:
They recomended to use a high quality wax safe for plastic with a couple of coats. Mine ended up with a great shine although wax will not protect as well as a Clear Coat...

Did you check with Krylon that you can wax the paint that soon? Most paints continue to outgas their organic solvents for about a month. If you wax them within that month you are usually asking for problems. Make sure you give the paint enough time to cure before waxing.

Yes, I spoke with Craig 1-800- 4KRYLON. I assumed he knows what is best, so far so good, I will let you know in a month Very Happy
addictionriot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so its as I feared.. The orange paint I used isnt as brillant as it once was. Its fading in the sun. I am going to either 1)repaint or 2)buy new panels.

1)I'm afraid I will ruin the front panel, or make the whole surface uneven.

2)Any idea on how much new front panel for the 150 costs?
jfrost2

First Ever Sold Orange 08' Buddy 125

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 100% sure, but I was quoted the front fender cost $40+ shipping.
ericalm
Site Admin

STELLA FOUR STROKE FURY! + Vespa LX 150/190 + '87 Honda Helix CN250

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

addictionriot wrote:

Check this out:
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1340

Dooglas

Buddy 125, GTS300, Typhoon 125

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the local Ace Hardware has the Fusion prism for those of you that have an Ace in your area. I also noticed that they have a Rustoleum primer for plastic in a spray can. Supposedly you can then top coat it with any Rustoleum spray paint. Sure increases the choice of colors.

Addictionriot - I like the looks of your scoot. You've got courage and imagination.
addictionriot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericalm wrote:
addictionriot wrote:

Check this out:
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1340

Thanks Eric, I knew I saw a list somewhere.. having an over night job makes it difficult to get in touch with my dealer during normal business hours.

Dooglas wrote:
I noticed that the local Ace Hardware has the Fusion prism for those of you that have an Ace in your area. I also noticed that they have a Rustoleum primer for plastic in a spray can. Supposedly you can then top coat it with any Rustoleum spray paint. Sure increases the choice of colors.

Addictionriot - I like the looks of your scoot. You've got courage and imagination.

Thanks Dooglas, I need to find that Rustoleum, sounds awesome! I was about to cry when I saw what was happening to my paint job. I love the green of the Italia and I'm feeling pretty crappy now.
newslinky

Buddy International St. Tropez 150

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer about the fading I hope you can get it touched up in a way that will not do that in the future. I really like your aintjob it looks awesome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: