What are your favorite things about your Genuine ?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SDG
Banned

What are your favorite things about your Genuine ?

Post by SDG »

I would love to hear Genuine scooter owner's "favorite things" about your scooter company and your scooter. Also what would you wish was different?

We all know these scoots are reliable and cute as a button, what else? :D

Cheers,
SDG

Modern Vespa proud member.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Fit & finish, seat height, maneuverability, zippiness, brakes, reliability, cost, and...uh...mine's PINK. :D
ModBud #442
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i like that when you order parts from scooterworks <-- the sister parts company of genuine, you get candy!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

It's cheap, my favorite color, small, peppy, useful, never fails on me, and high quality.
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

12v power point and you can open the seat without shutting off the engine. :P
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

oooo about MY genuine, not about the company...

I love that it starts up EVERY time I need it to, it will fit ANYWHERE, and I can accelerate faster, and usually hit higher top speeds than about 90% of the scooters I know up to about 200cc. (Mine is only a 125 :twisted: )
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I think Genuine's a great company. They're avid scooterists and have a vested interest in building long-term relationships with owners (meaning they're not out to make a quick buck). Their interest is bringing good scooters to the market and reasonable prices. They also put a lot into marketing their products and maintaining their cool image, something I respect because I think it's important for this type of company to have a personality (though at this point, the scooters seem to be selling themselves). Though there have been a few customer service complaints, they're rare given the number of Genuines out on the road. I can't imagine an owner having one-on-one contact with someone from any other scooter company as has happened here many times. Has anyone ever received anything other than a stock response in return for an email to Piaggio USA?

The drawbacks? Number one is parts supply. This plagues all scooter companies, even Piaggio/Vespa, Honda and Yamaha, but I hope Genuine can improve on this. Same goes for availability of accessories. There were problems with this before this year's boom. I also hope that the recent scooter boom hasn't caused them to grow too much too fast.

As admin of this forum, I like the fact that the company is accessible, but does not interfere. I don't communicate with them often, but have been able to when it was warranted. They never tell me what to do here or how to run things and have been completely hands-off. They have a real appreciation for the fact that this is a forum for owners and enthusiasts.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
nrg70

Post by nrg70 »

I know it's a small thing, but I am just in love with my grocery bag hook on my Italia. It's just so convenient, a nice little touch that my friend comments about all the time ( he didn't get one with his pricier Vespa ).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

nrg70 wrote:I know it's a small thing, but I am just in love with my grocery bag hook on my Italia. It's just so convenient, a nice little touch that my friend comments about all the time ( he didn't get one with his pricier Vespa ).
I have one on my pricier Vespa! It's conveniently located under the seat (the hook actually slides out from the bottom). Oddly, the bigger, more expensive ones don't have this handy feature.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: What are your favorite things about your Genuine ?

Post by ericalm »

SDG wrote:I would love to hear Genuine scooter owner's "favorite things" about your scooter company and your scooter. Also what would you wish was different?

Cheers,
SDG

You're a dealer, too, right? Vespa TO considering adding genuine to the lineup?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

x10 what everyone has said. The scooter has great bang for the buck, and I agree Genuine is a great company. When I had a truly defective 06, and was at the end my rope, my great dealer POC advocated for me and lets say Genunine took care of the problem forever. Philip McCaleb (sorry spellings wrong I am sure) even sent me a hand written note and care package. This is not typical corporate behavior. I hope their well earned success never spoils them.

Anyway I have no brand loyality for anything, but b/c of this experience, when and if I upgrade, I will consider Genuine before others. So if they are reading this, I want that 200 CVT stella to exist someday soon :P
marsturm

Post by marsturm »

After years of motorcycle riding, I most enjoy the ease of operation. Its light weight, high-quality construction, and reliability make it one of, if not the best, values in scooters.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

tunseeker1 wrote:12v power point and you can open the seat without shutting off the engine. :P
HAHAHA, I just figured that out yesterday! It made me very happy.

+1

DJE
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

peabody99 wrote:So if they are reading this, I want that 200 CVT stella to exist someday soon :P
I just drooled on my keyboard when I read that. I second the motion for a 200 4T CVT Stella. That would be my next scooter for sure (if I can't find a little vintage honey to ride).

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I like that the HQ is a few miles from my house.

I like that Genuine was started by and is run by people that love scooters and know the scooter market, and support rallies and other scooter events.

I like their value of price vs. quality, (though they've been eroding their value leader status with occasional $100 price bumps)

I like that they're a relatively small and scaleable operation so they won't be toast when this boom ends. Scooterworks is proof that they have good long-term vision and will stick with scooters through thick and thin times.

I like their branding (aside from that "Chicago" G in their logo that drives me nuts) and the fact that they took the trouble and expense to get involved in design and details, rather than just slapping a sticker on a foreign bike with a stupid name. That was probably their smartest move.

I like that just about any reputable scooter dealer lists Genuine as their favorite company to work with. If the dealers are happy and informed, the customers generally are too.

And that's all ignoring the bikes themselves!

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

MikieTaps wrote:i like that when you order parts from scooterworks <-- the sister parts company of genuine, you get candy!
seriously?! Ferrara Pan, eh?

I guess what I like is more about scooters in general, than specific to me Buddy. But, I dig just learning more and more how to drive it with precision. Boning up a curve, then eventually getting it right. Most rides are an adventure. As for Buddy specifics, I definitely love winding it out from a dead stop. The acceleration is fantastic.

Only real complaint is vapor lock! I have a drilled gas cap now, so hopefully that's a thing of the past.
UrbanBuddy82

Post by UrbanBuddy82 »

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Stebel horn!

(see my post today about Stebel horn makes cellphone fall out car window)
charltons

Post by charltons »

The throaty sound of my 150 cc engine.
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Amazing acceleration and maneuverability, deafening horn and lots of available accessories, fun and easy to ride, decent storage too considering the size.... plus it's just so darn cute!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Price (I got it before the scooter boom of 2008 & got a great price)
Size (I like my Rattler 50 because it is not very small, but a lot of 50s are to small for me)
Style

What dont I like - limited accessories & being able to get them - Really... should it be that hard to get a rear rack for a rattler?!

Note: I realize its a numbers game... the more of a model anything that is out there, the more companies make accessories for them.
You can get almost anything to strap on your Ford 150 or ipod - but the market is much more limited for the honda Ridgeline or a Philips GoGear MP3 player
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

verdecalavera wrote:seriously?! Ferrara Pan, eh?
Ferrara Pan rocks
topic5486.html
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Okay, what I wish was different about the Buddy and Genuine:

My major concerns about previous years' Buddys were addressed: better headlight and taillight. Now we're down to the nitty gritty, some nitpicky things. The seat latch design needs improvement. Connect the running lights. New front rack design that doesn't require cutouts. Better owner's manual (I know, they're working on it). Better ignition design so key cannot be removed at all times. Reliable cylinder kit for the 125s.

For Genuine: We need a Stella of some sort in CA—four stroke, 200cc, 250cc, CVT, whatever. The parts issue I already mentioned. Some other type of 200cc or 250cc automatic scooter, like the Blur. I think the demand is there now, when it may not have been a couple years ago. Time to give it another shot.

I understand that neither Genuine nor any other scooter company anticipated the boom this year. Though this won't last forever, let's hope that production is ramped up so we don't lose potential Genuine riders to other companies because there aren't enough scoots to go around. The competition is heating up and that new Zuma is going to be popular. SYM is stepping up and Kymco is waking up after getting its butt kicked for the past couple years.
SDG
Banned

Post by SDG »

ericalm wrote:I think Genuine's a great company. They're avid scooterists and have a vested interest in building long-term relationships with owners (meaning they're not out to make a quick buck). Their interest is bringing good scooters to the market and reasonable prices. They also put a lot into marketing their products and maintaining their cool image, something I respect because I think it's important for this type of company to have a personality (though at this point, the scooters seem to be selling themselves). Though there have been a few customer service complaints, they're rare given the number of Genuines out on the road. I can't imagine an owner having one-on-one contact with someone from any other scooter company as has happened here many times. Has anyone ever received anything other than a stock response in return for an email to Piaggio USA?

The drawbacks? Number one is parts supply. This plagues all scooter companies, even Piaggio/Vespa, Honda and Yamaha, but I hope Genuine can improve on this. Same goes for availability of accessories. There were problems with this before this year's boom. I also hope that the recent scooter boom hasn't caused them to grow too much too fast.

As admin of this forum, I like the fact that the company is accessible, but does not interfere. I don't communicate with them often, but have been able to when it was warranted. They never tell me what to do here or how to run things and have been completely hands-off. They have a real appreciation for the fact that this is a forum for owners and enthusiasts.
Thank you all for your passionate answers, I do so appreciate. Eric this is a great comprehensive write-up and I really appreciate you taking the time.

Best
SDG
SDG
Banned

Re: What are your favorite things about your Genuine ?

Post by SDG »

ericalm wrote:
SDG wrote:I would love to hear Genuine scooter owner's "favorite things" about your scooter company and your scooter. Also what would you wish was different?

Cheers,
SDG

You're a dealer, too, right? Vespa TO considering adding genuine to the lineup?
Eric,

I am very impressed by Genuine, lets just say that. :D

PS I am even more impressed with you Genuine owners !!

SDG
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I think what I like most about my Genuine (07 Buddy Italia) is just that the scooter itself is super great for my needs. It's the perfect "urban commuter" type scooter. Tiny, nimble, very quick (and decently fast as well). I may be tons smaller than the SUV next to me but I always feel like I'm in a good position to be aware and get away from things due to the power it's got (I was realizing today that I'm only at just over half throttle at 55mph), and if not, I'm small enough to fit in a lane right along side that big SUV until I can get out of the way (from experience). It's also comfortable enough to ride for a decent amount of time (not the best, but hey it's a smallframe). I can park anywhere (as I'm slowly getting more daring at doing) and except when it's pouring raining, I don't miss my car one bit.

It's also got style. No, it's not the classic that a Vespa is. Or others. But it's got style and, as mentioned above, so does the company. The International series was a great idea and obviously a good seller. For a company essentially rebranding some Taiwanese and Indian scoots, they do it with a decent amount of flair.

Also, the price/reliability factor (which I verified through months of digging through various reviews and comments, many of which here at MB.com) really spoke to my practical side since this scooter replaced my car.

Finally, this forum is one of my favorite things about my Genuine. It spoke volumes to me about where I think Genuine is headed and the passion owners have for their little scooters. Even both of the Black Cat owners! It's kind of a David v. Goliath thing- Genuine owners know we're a small segment of the scooter biz and I was so impressed that a community this tight could exist for a scooter that is only 2-3 years old. That probably sealed it for me, honestly.

I'm pretty much with everyone else on the dislikes- the "boom" seems to have hit a small company like Genuine a little harder with regard to parts and accessories. I've also heard a few too many stories of dealers who don't quite know what Genuine requires as far as maintenance (and to be honest, it's hard for US to know what is required since there are slightly conflicting reports in different places).
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

Hey SDG!
Let's see. I love the 'zippiness' of the Buddy. It's very maneuverable when group riding, being light as a feather. Comes standard with the Stebel, 12V plug and huge pet carrier. I actually can use the side stand. It's got a great 'throaty' sound. I'm able to park it anywhere! The colors are great. (but that's a girl thing)

I'd also love to see a Stella in California. I like that the Genuine folks continue to develop new products. They need a 250CC scooter.

My interaction with all the Genuine people has always been a positive one. Trey is now a close friend. The guys at AmeriVespa were all very nice too.
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

I like the colors, the styling, and the fact that it is so easy to ride! Like others have mentioned, the Buddy is really a zippy little scooter. I can maneuver through traffic easily, and there is usually enough power to get out of harm's way.

What I would like to see is more aftermarket parts for the scooter. I have an '07 and bought the Stebel horn to install. I have the front and rear rack and a windshield. I'd like more performance parts - suspension, etc.
I find the suspension is a bit lacking (I have to really slow down over some of the bumps on the way to work) and I'm just average weight...

I'll be interested in some engine mods once my warranty expires - roller weights, etc. to see if I can get a bit more top end speed.

But all in all, I am very happy with the Buddy.

PasadenaSue
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

I like it because its an American company (even though not manufactured here). My father in law worked for an advertising firm that worked with them early on, and I have been turned on ever since.

This was my 100th post +1 for me! :lol:
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

I love the reliability of my Buddy. It always starts. I've never had any problems with it in the 2 years I've had it. I agree with what most everyone else has said, especially the look of it. I can trust it it get me where I want to go...and in good time too!

I'm glad I have the '06 because I really don't like the huge headlight on the newer ones (although they are much brighter!).

I agree with most everyone's likes and dislikes here. After having it for 2 years, I realize it's probably a little small for me (I'm 6'1"). But with the price and quality, the only other scooter I have my eye on is the Stella. I would definitely buy from this company again.
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club

Jessica

Post by Jessica »

tunseeker1 wrote:12v power point and you can open the seat without shutting off the engine. :P
REALLY? I've never done this. How did I not know about this?
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

ericalm wrote:Reliable cylinder kit for the 125s.

+ 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

and oh yeah, how do you open the seat with the engine running?
kmetta

Post by kmetta »

Jessica wrote:
REALLY? I've never done this. How did I not know about this?

yeah.. Please enlighten us!
My name is Kyle, and i am a wannabee Highway addict.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

The same way you open the seat at any other position! Just push it in before you turn it counter-clockwise and it will pop the seat without shutting the engine off.... just try it, you'll see what we mean. :wink:
paige

Post by paige »

ericalm wrote:
nrg70 wrote:I know it's a small thing, but I am just in love with my grocery bag hook on my Italia. It's just so convenient, a nice little touch that my friend comments about all the time ( he didn't get one with his pricier Vespa ).
I have one on my pricier Vespa! It's conveniently located under the seat (the hook actually slides out from the bottom). Oddly, the bigger, more expensive ones don't have this handy feature.
The big boy Vespas have a much more useful bag hook mounted on the glovebox/kneepad area. I am jealous. The LX bag hook is bendy and unsecured. The Buddy bag hook has enough of a curve to hold a bag of pastries without blowing away.

I love the reliability, pep and seat height of the Buddy. I ride the Buddy like I stole it, I ride the LX like it is a fine , expensive piece of machinery. YMMV
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

The marketing.

Oh, and the candy from Scooterworks is cool too.
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

KRUSTYburger wrote:The same way you open the seat at any other position! Just push it in before you turn it counter-clockwise and it will pop the seat without shutting the engine off.... just try it, you'll see what we mean. :wink:
I see what you mean now. I tried it this morning and it totally worked. Thanks, KRUSTY!
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
SDG
Banned

Post by SDG »

teacherquinn wrote:Hey SDG!
Let's see. I love the 'zippiness' of the Buddy. It's very maneuverable when group riding, being light as a feather. Comes standard with the Stebel, 12V plug and huge pet carrier. I actually can use the side stand. It's got a great 'throaty' sound. I'm able to park it anywhere! The colors are great. (but that's a girl thing)

I'd also love to see a Stella in California. I like that the Genuine folks continue to develop new products. They need a 250CC scooter.

My interaction with all the Genuine people has always been a positive one. Trey is now a close friend. The guys at AmeriVespa were all very nice too.
teacherquinn......

In the spirit of scooters and your amazing passion for them feel free to post any developments you become aware of in So Cal. :D

Thanks all, you are truly a great group of scooter owners....

SDG
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

I like the fact that when you look at it , it almost says "Scooter" ... not "Crotch rocket wannabe"

alot of stuff that has been mentioned

the glove box/tray thing

do wish it was a little bigger with a little bigger tires
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

It's cool looking, it's pink and it's mine.
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

It always starts even in the winter, but mostly it makes me happy when I ride it, and that makes me happy when I'm not riding it........... so its a win win sort of deal. Oh and I get to go on scooter trips with My favorite girl, Mrs Merckx that is....... the next trip is to Martha's vineyard for a couple of days.
"Social graces, got any"
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Many of the comments apply to all scooters. One thing Genuine really did right is NOT allowing any of their scooter designs to be sold by anyones else! I had a generic Chinese scoot. The same exact model sold as about 10 other company names. People know what a Buddy is. They know what a Stella is. The rest is kind of a blur (Sorry, pun intended).

To those who want bigger tires/wheels, go get a Kymco. Seriously. I love my 10" wheels. If I could put a set on my GTS, I would!
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

olhogrider wrote:Many of the comments apply to all scooters. One thing Genuine really did right is NOT allowing any of their scooter designs to be sold by anyones else! I had a generic Chinese scoot. The same exact model sold as about 10 other company names. People know what a Buddy is. They know what a Stella is. The rest is kind of a blur (Sorry, pun intended).

To those who want bigger tires/wheels, go get a Kymco. Seriously. I love my 10" wheels. If I could put a set on my GTS, I would!
I too started out with a Chinese scooter. I'm curious what your experince was? My experience was that while it lacked any frills, it was pretty reliable and a pretty fun ride.

I do like the better fit and finish of a Genuine scooter, which is what you expect with the higher price.
sargelee71

Post by sargelee71 »

About my scooter: The kick-a$$ horn, maneuverability, reliability, gas mileage and look.

About Genuine: Ken, Rob, and Dean. The equal GREAT customer service, know-how, and just good guys.