Unsatisfactory experience with genuine

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

shadmock

Unsatisfactory experience with genuine

Post by shadmock »

Hello all,

I had my Buddy 125 for a good year + with minor issues-pretty happy. After an unfortunate fishtailing & crashing of my Buddy ( at a very low speed-10 mph max) back in May, I have had a very unsatisfactory experience. Mainly the dealer's consistent answer to my question of parts arriving-
"Backordered"-I needed a rim to start, because this bent when I spilled. After 2 solid months of patiently waiting for the rim, I was told that the installation of the new rim revealed a more serious issue- a bent fork! I appreciate the honesty of the dealer-(NoHo scooters), and Mike's opinion that it's not safe to ride with the fork tweaked as it is, so I turn the spotllight to Genuine and question their interest in getting dedicated riders and enthusiasts back on the road, no matter how minor or serious the reason for repair.
I work at a pretty decent sized company, where many people would see the Buddy parked outside always ask some kind of question about the bike. I usually gave out positive answers to their questions, because I felt it was a wise investment. Now people ask me "Where's the scooter?"- I reply honestly and I now get not-so-positive reactions from people. "You took that in MONTHS ago!!"
The experience is a little humiliating and frustrating , especially when a coworker's Yamaha Vino begins to park in your parking spot and your on the bus!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yeah, your situation sucks. What's worse is that it's not all that uncommon these days. What you're experiencing is happening all over the scooter industry this summer. I'm not making excuses for Genuine or anyone else or saying that there weren't parts delays before this summer, but they're particularly bad now. Scooter sales unexpectedly doubled in a couple of months and there was a run on everything—scooters, helmets, topcases, jackets, accessories—and all are in short supply. As has been reported here, on MV and all the other forums, people have had to wait months for new scooters (not just Buddys!), jackets, windscreens, and so on. Genuine and other small companies are overwhelmed and trying to catch up as fast as they can.

I'm concerned that the parts situation may be pretty bad for a while because there will be a lag between the spike in scooter sales and the demand for a lot of these parts. While some things seem to be readily available, others—especially those which haven't often needed replacing—are taking months to obtain.

Genuine is not alone in this. I had similar issues with Piaggio/Vespa long before the current scooter boom and have heard that even Yamaha and Honda have parts supply problems.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

No fun at all waiting for parts.

Curious, I saw a couple people have picked up the NCY aftermarket forks. Not sure about cost compared to OEM parts, but they seem to be more available. Have you considered that option? From the initial reviews, it would be an upgrade as well.

Second thought.. might track one of them down and see if their take-offs are in good shape and available.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Get some NCY forks, you'll get them in a week or less from genuine, install those with the new rim and you'll be back on the road unless there is some other problem.

Also, it isnt genuine's fault that they are giving "bad info" to dealers about shipping time. Genuine doesnt carry every part for the buddy in their own factory, they order alot of them from taiwan from PGO. It takes time to ship from taiwan to the port, to the US port, to the closest docking station to a truck to chicago, to genuine to your dealer and onto your bike.

Genuine cant give a accurate estimate unless they themselves receive the part in their own factory.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

jfrost2 wrote: Also, it isnt genuine's fault that they are giving "bad info" to dealers about shipping time. Genuine doesnt carry every part for the buddy in their own factory, they order alot of them from taiwan from PGO. It takes time to ship from taiwan to the port, to the US port, to the closest docking station to a truck to chicago, to genuine to your dealer and onto your bike.

Genuine cant give a accurate estimate unless they themselves receive the part in their own factory.
I understand what you are saying but I don't entirely agree with it. It's too easy to keep going back a step in the supply chain. It's not PGO's fault its the guy who supplies the material to make plastic panels... and on and on.

I think Genuine does have to bear the responsibility of getting parts for what are their bikes. Whether they are importing them and rebranding them or not, we bought our Buddys from Genuine Scooter Co, not PGO of Taiwan.

I certainly hope that we will hear less of these stories (although it seems like we don't hear that many right now, they just rightfully get our attention when we do hear them) in the future, either due to the "boom" ending or Genuine catching their service up to the rest of their company!
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

It's not only parts that are back ordered. Scooters are too. They're just really popular. Everybody wants one and everybody wants parts.

Sucks yes, but it's only temporary. And just think about all the new after market goodies you'll have in the future since the market has really taken off!
rickko

Genuine Buddy parts availablity; my pet peeve!

Post by rickko »

This topic is my pet peeve with Genuine. Back late last year Philip M., CEO of Genuine, states in a podcast that he is going to get stocked up on parts. He said, riders shouldn't have to wait more than a day or two for parts. (haha. we are still waiting!) He knew then he needed to have parts readily available to dealers. That was before the 'boom' started to take hold. I think they've dropped the ball on this. Its ridiculous that some riders have too wait two months or more for a wheel rim and a shock! These are commonly damaged parts in many accidents whether it happens to a Harley or a Buddy.

Well here it is nearly a year after those statements and parts are still VERY HARD to get!

1st. I've been waiting for a Pamplona seat and grips since July 8th!!! Can't believe there are none in stock at the factory warehouse. So I patiently wait for some freigher to cruise across the Pacific!

2nd. I've been waiting for a lower front cowl (holds the dead lights) since July 22!

3rd. Someone said NCY forks are obtainable in a week. Bzzzzzzzzzt! Not in my case. I'm still waiting for my dealership to tell me their in. It's coming up on two weeks now.

4th. Front fork price comparison: Buddy forks, $101 ea. NCY: $149.50 ea.

IF Genuine is listening (or reading this), GET SOME SPARE NON CHASSIS RELATED PARTS!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Don't be so cavalier in writing off the parts problem as a 'boom' issue. Philip said he was gearing up almost a year ago but seemingly that's not been the priority he made it appear in his message.

I can't wait for the day that what Philip said back in 2007 will actually become a reality and I know there a many others out there that feel the same way.

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
schlagle

Re: Genuine Buddy parts availablity; my pet peeve!

Post by schlagle »

rickko wrote: Don't be so cavalier in writing off the parts problem as a 'boom' issue. Philip said he was gearing up almost a year ago but seemingly that's not been the priority he made it appear in his message.

I can't wait for the day that what Philip said back in 2007 will actually become a reality and I know there a many others out there that feel the same way.

..rickko..
I'm curious as to why you think the "boom" still wouldn't explain the current situation. Is it not possible for him to have successfully stocked up and still run out of parts because the boom was larger than expected, or he could only get a limited number of parts, or any number of other reasons?

I don't know for sure the boom is the reason for Buddy back orders but it has certainly affected Vespa and my beloved MP3.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rickko wrote:Don't be so cavalier in writing off the parts problem as a 'boom' issue. Philip said he was gearing up almost a year ago but seemingly that's not been the priority he made it appear in his message.
ericalm wrote:I'm not making excuses for Genuine or anyone else or saying that there weren't parts delays before this summer, but they're particularly bad now.
The point is that the boom has already exacerbated Genuine's biggest weakness. I've no doubt that they want to have a readily available supply of parts and they're apparently very aware of the issue. But, for whatever reason, they don't and I'm sure the boom isn't making it easier.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rickko

Post by rickko »

schlagle wrote:I'm curious as to why you think the "boom" still wouldn't explain the current situation. ...
Listen to the podcast. At the time he spoke of the rapid growth in sales. Then as the orders started flooding them this spring they should have immediately ordered parts to meet the sales demand. They saw the demand begin late last year and it only grew. You'd have to have your head in the sand not to get spare parts on order immediately; especially when he SAID he didn't want riders to wait with there scooter off the road more than a day or two for a part.

Waiting more than two months for parts at this late date in the year is really unacceptable. Its riding season right now!

Also, my dealership tells me they've NEVER had a quick response from the mother-ship for non-chassis related parts.

And get this, my inside sources tell me SOME PARTS DON'T EVEN HAVE PART NUMBERS yet! Another reason why you can't get your order filled... because Genuine can't take the order on a description alone --- like (1) Pamplona seat.

Until its assigned a number, its not orderable! That's ridiculous. :roll:

If I knew at the time I bought Buddy that it might take upwards of three months to get common replacement parts, I wouldn't have bought it. I think dealers should tell that to potential customers.

BTW Eric, you stated it very well.
..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

Thanks for clarifying rickko. I didn't know they had other issues that contributed to the problem. But the boom is also clearly contributing to the problem.

Just be glad you don't own an italian bike. They take the whole month of August off! You should hear all of the complaining on the MP3 forums :(
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rickko wrote:BTW Eric, you stated it very well.
Ha, thanks.
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

Getting geared up to produce surplus parts is not fast / easy or cheap. If your machines/company are running to full capacity you need more machines .You get more machines you have to have a place to put them. More machines mean more people to run them. Getting more material , casting and supplies from your supplier can be a problem because all the same problems can occure for them also...... it is not an over night fix.
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

One reason I chose the Buddy in October, 2007 was Genuine's reputation for support. It is beginning to sound like that promise has been broken. Bear in mind that I haven't tested "the system" yet because my scoot has been totally reliable, but it does sound like folks are still having a hard time sourcing parts.

Time will tell if this ever gets straightened out, but I have to think that some dealers may need to shoulder some of the responsibility as well. I'm not real surprised that body parts can take forever, that's somewhat typical for parts that aren't often replaced. I can also understand dealers not wanting to carry every accessory in stock because you really don't know how these things might sell. But, dealers should have an adequate supply of critical parts in stock, it they are available.

August in Italy is a good example actually. I know if my Hyper needs parts to keep it running, my dealer probably has them in stock. So August isn't a factor as far as keeping my bike on the road. However, if I want to order an accessory, like a luggage rack, it's probably not going to be in stock and I'll probably be looking at a late September delivery.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

The NCY forks aren't the whole fork unit, just the lower bit. If his frame or the steering column is bent, the shop is correct to not let him back on the road with it, it's not safe.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
rondothemidget

Genuine Complaint

Post by rondothemidget »

My scooter's been down for 6 weeks and I was just told it might be 2 more before I'm back on the road. Misery loves company so thank you for the forum. No matter the excuse or explanation, it simply sucks to wait an inordinately long time. I'm choosing to look at this like waiting in line for a ride at Disneyland... I'll get to go on the e-ticket ride when my part finally comes in.