Seat trouble- Must slam to close!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Does your seat require force to get it closed?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:29 am

Yes =[
50%
No, it closes perfectly =]
50%

Total votes: 38

jmsmith802

Seat trouble- Must slam to close!

Post by jmsmith802 »

First off just a quick poll to see if anyone else is having similar problems.

So the seat on my buddy has always been hard to close. I used to be able to just drop the seat while on the center stand to get it closed but recently I've been having to just SLAM it repeatedly to get it closed. I have read the other seat latch threads and they all seemed to be people having trouble opening their seat.. I tried the seat latch fix that is posted on here and it didn't make it any easier. Has anyone else figured out a way to fix this problem (besides soaking it in wd-40 :roll:)?
mandyscoots

Post by mandyscoots »

I too have had trouble closing my seat. But it is on and off.
There are several threads on this forum that give you tips on how to fix this. If you just preform a search. :)
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Push on the seam. The latch is close to the middle of the seat. Slamming or pushing on the back doesn't always work.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

DennisD wrote:Push on the seam. The latch is close to the middle of the seat. Slamming or pushing on the back doesn't always work.
Yup, that's what I do as well. Dropping it or slamming it shut in any other way can also cause some rubbing/ripping of the vinyl seat if it's off center and hitting the bolts on either side, especially if you have a rear rack added on.

I'm not sure what posts the OP read but there are some bolts under the seat that allow you to adjust the angle of the seat. I'm not exactly sure where they are but if you look under the seat, you'll see some bolts that can be loosened and adjusted.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

mandyscoots wrote:I too have had trouble closing my seat. But it is on and off.
There are several threads on this forum that give you tips on how to fix this. If you just preform a search. :)
Me too. On and off. Doesn't bother me at all because it does close. Best way to close it? Sit on it. ;)
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

There is a metal bar that the seat latches to that often gets worn down. Take your fingers and twist it and it should help a little with the seat opening and closing.
docutech

Post by docutech »

I had issues with the seat on Pauly. I useda small amount of heat resistant grease on the stem as well as the latch part. This allows the seat to close perfectly. Unlocking the seat is much easier too, it bounces up as soon as I turn the key.
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

DennisD wrote:Push on the seam. The latch is close to the middle of the seat. Slamming or pushing on the back doesn't always work.
This used to work... Not anymore :cry:.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i've never slammed the seat shut or anything but i've always laid the seat down gently and put light pressure towards the middle of the seat. works fine.

since you said the method above doesn't work anymore, are you sure you didnt break or crack the latch? maybe WD-40 would indeed help
5 bud7

Post by 5 bud7 »

you will have better luck using silicone spray instead of wd 40 for lubricating parts. wd 40 contains oil which collects dust and dirt and after while will cause more problems. silicone spray on the bar and the receiver will make it work like new.
5 bud7

Post by 5 bud7 »

you will have better luck using silicone spray instead of wd 40 for lubricating parts. wd 40 contains oil which collects dust and dirt and after while will cause more problems. silicone spray on the bar and the receiver will make it work like new.
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

I used a silicone spray, and now it closes pretty easily when I lay it down and push on the seam area of the seat... :D Lets see how long it will stay like that, though..

Seems a lot of other people are having trouble too, according to the poll
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Here's a fix I've been meaning to try:

If you open the seat and take out the pet carrier, you'll notice that the seat latch actually looks like it's mounted a little low. I'm thinking a few washers on the 2 posts which hold the latching mechanism in place ought to raise it and make it easier to shut.

I don't have appropriate washers, but if anyone else has them around and wants to try, I'm interested in hearing the outcome.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I've numerous times that my seat would not close for anything! At first, I loosened the spring which worked for a while, but it kept recurring. I eventually discovered that it was just that the seat was getting a little lopsided from time to time so the latch wasn't lining up just right with the seat.... Long story short, whenever it doesn't close smoothly I just open it and eye-ball which way it looks like it might be leaning, then push it the opposite way a bit. So far it fixes it every time and shuts with the slightest touch. I think though everyone's seats are probably different, whatever works!
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

All you need to do is use some lite teflon lube on the latching mechanism and it will work really well with out any adjustment... thats my story and I'm sticking to it......... 8)
"Social graces, got any"
Christy

Post by Christy »

i used to have to drop the seat or slam it hard to get it to close, but then I learned to press on the seam instead of the back of the seat and have never had another problem getting it to latch since. I place the seat down and then press a little (not even much) onto the seam and I can hear it latching.

:)
EPSP #76
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Mine is just the opposite! It rattles at idle with no one on it. Opens and closes easily though.
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

Christy wrote:i used to have to drop the seat or slam it hard to get it to close, but then I learned to press on the seam instead of the back of the seat and have never had another problem getting it to latch since. I place the seat down and then press a little (not even much) onto the seam and I can hear it latching.

:)

Yep, my experience too.
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
sherides

Post by sherides »

I was slamming my seat closed, too, until I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of "play" in the hinge that attaches the seat to the scooter. I just tightened up that nut, and that seems to have remedied the situation. And, again, push down on the seat where the seam is.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

you should just buy another buddy... :D and if you still have problems on your new buddy... well then... at least you have two! :D