MSF Class - Did anyone have fun?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootermama

MSF Class - Did anyone have fun?

Post by scootermama »

My MSF class comes up in September. I have been waiting all summer to get in, it's a long list here in PDX.

I am actually looking forward to it....but feeling a bit edgy after reading some of the posts about some of your experiences with the course.

I am one of those nerdy people who liked school, so I am thinking, hey, this might be fun!

I'm curious: Did any of you have fun?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I've not taken the course yet, but my wife is taking it right now. She came home from day one EXHAUSTED but she really did have fun and said that it's teaching her so much, not the least of which is to take all these little tips that everyone passes along here very seriously.

I'm sure you'll love it!
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

I think it's all in the attitude walking in. I'm "planning" on having a good time, so it's very likely that I will. Not like I'm being forced to go...

...but I may be wrong....I'll let you know tomorrow! :)
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"
scoot_in_VA

Post by scoot_in_VA »

When I went to the class I was as nervous as hell because I had never ridden a motorcycle before. At the end of the first day I was tired to the point of exhaustion and totally depressed. On day two I was elated and on top of the world as it suddenly all clicked in my head and then it became fun.

I went back to being nervous as hell for the riding test, but after I passed I had one of the best feelings of accomplishment that I have had for many years.

Was it fun? Yep, that's one word to describe it I guess! :D
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

My MSF class was held on a weekend that saw record high temperatures for Denver. It was so hot, the class voted to start at 6 am so we could finish up at around 3, before it got insanely hot. We all went through gallons of water and I'm sure we all lost weight. I really hate hot weather and being out on an unprotected, black asphalt parking lot sounded a lot like hell on earth.

I had a blast.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Xena

Re: MSF Class - Did anyone have fun?

Post by Xena »

scootermama wrote:My MSF class comes up in September. I have been waiting all summer to get in, it's a long list here in PDX.

I am actually looking forward to it....but feeling a bit edgy after reading some of the posts about some of your experiences with the course.

I am one of those nerdy people who liked school, so I am thinking, hey, this might be fun!

I'm curious: Did any of you have fun?
I loved parts and hated parts...had I been able to do it on my scooter, I think it would have been very different as I have been riding along time and have a strong comfort level there. I have never ridden a MC nor did I even know how to shift one (I drive a manual car though), so I already was nervous.
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

PS...I've been to Driving School (involuntarily) from speeding tix, and dreaded going in, but came out a better driver. It wasn't that bad, and I learned to always "look left first" when entering intersections...and also learned to not depend on a $0.50 bulb in a traffic light to protect you from idiots...so yea, I can tell you for sure it paid off.

So why would this class for something we love be a bummer? :)
Cya!
Mark Turkel

Genuine Buddy 125cc

n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

My wife and I both had a lot of fun. The class is great.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I havent taken it yet... But I Plan on having a good time!!! I will take it when I get my MC. Hopefully over the winter months, it wont be so hard to get into a class. :D
ICEE

oh yeah

Post by ICEE »

:D
Great time, had a fantastic Rider Coach. I recommend it highly! Oh, and yeah I rode circles around all the other pigs...

ICEE

p.s. Always wear a helmet
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I did not have fun at all. It was sleeting and snowing, and I am not good at following directions (some sort of undiagnosed learning disability I am sure).

But I know I did the right thing, and really learned a lot
Last edited by peabody99 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
louie

Post by louie »

I loved it. It was like a mini vacation. Went back and did the another course a year and half later.
i was nervous both times going in but the nervousness went away quickly.
charltons

Post by charltons »

I had a blast!
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
scoots4me

Post by scoots4me »

I was really nervous but soon found out that SO many other people in my class were in a similar situation: new, nervous, eager to learn, etc. I lucked out and had a super cool crowd - very funny and the instructors thought we were funny too. It was definitely exhausting (was also dying from heat...asphalt + July + Georgia = HELL) but it was also absolutely informative and fun. Enjoy it!!
*** scootie scoot scoot ***
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

I loved it- felt like the first day alone was worth the money. I had great rider coaches and it wasn't hot at all (April in Alabama).

One thing that makes it easier is being able to drive a manual transmission car. Also, know that everyone is making more boneheaded mistakes than you are.
MPA

Post by MPA »

I had an awesome time. Those Nighthawk 250s were so easy to get used to since they make such little power. I can't think of anything I hated even a tiny bit.

They asked me if I would kick off the testing portion and I said ok and quickly screwed up the box portion but nailed the rest of the test. I thought I was going to fail the braking portion because I took longer to stop then anyone else, but they told me I was going probably 5-10mph faster then anyone else.

For me, to take the course on a scooter would've been a waste.
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

My class was in the heat of Texas and it was my first time on two wheels since my teenage years. the class was a lot of fun though and gruelling but at the end I can say honestly I had a really good time.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
ScooterMcGee

Post by ScooterMcGee »

Well lets see......

Its was 100 degrees at 7am when the class started 115 by the time we got on the course me being the smart man I am was in all black and heavy steeltoe boots. I got a mild case of heat exhuastion and lost my lunch half-way through day one. Im 6'3 300 so I felt like a monkey f**kin a football while on those small little things.

So moral of the story most fun I've had in a long time would do it again in a heart beat.
And if the county we invented will fall from grace
I guess we'll have to fly away in our own space...Think Locally ..F*ck Globally
I was once asked If I were a tattoo what would I be?... I responded Id be a teardrop Tattoo under a bloodshot eye.
farrellcollie

Post by farrellcollie »

It was not horrible but I wouldn't really call it fun either. It was okay and I passed. Our two instructors were fine and kept trying to get everyone to have fun.
scootermama

Post by scootermama »

Hmmm.....reading the posts...sounds like fun to me.

I am:

* hoping it's not too hot (could be a long shot in September here in OR)
* but if it is, that I drink lottsa water and lose some weight
* find it easier to manage an MC because I do drive a standard car

and most importantly:

find myself in a class with witty folk like yourselves and an instructor who knows how to appreciate that.

Thanks.....
TonyF

Post by TonyF »

My wife & I took the classroom session last night. The Riding portion is next week. We had a great time. Much of it was nerves after hearing about many horror stories, but it was very apparent that our instructor really wanted to help us pass rather than look for ways to criticize or fail us.

We were about the most lively students compared to others for some reason. Luckily, the class was made up of 10 students who had no recent riding experience. I'm sure it isn't as much fun if the level of experience is really varied. Even so, we were all different. Some teenagers had no license. Others (like my wife & I) had driven cars for way too many years and had some non-recent riding experience.

Before the class began I was paranoid about not being able to keep up with others in the class during the riding portion. Now I'm confident that given our collective lack of experience there will not be a real disparity in riding expertise.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

I really enjoyed it, but I had already passed the written and driving test to get my MC endorsement so I felt pretty confident going in. the instructors were all very helpful, enthused and had very good sense of humor - they have to to survive the variety of riders in the classes.

our first day was very hot and humid, fall on the east coast with thunder showers predicted for the afternoon. lots of bottles of gatorade & water out on the range and in the classroom - the tstorms never materialized until later in the evening. the second day the temp dropped into the 50's and it poured rain all day long. the only reason they'll stop the class is lightening and there was none - just steady downpour all day long. it made the riding interesting to say the least and a few laid down the bikes in the emergency stop & swerve drills - only one crashed in the test and I doubt she would have passed the test otherwise anyway. the parking lot at the DMV where we were riding had huge lakes, some inches deep - but we made the best of it. one of the students' husband made a dunken donuts coffee/hot chocolate run for the group and what a welcome relief the hot drinks were after the first day of heat and dehydration.

go. enjoy. you'll make it fun. the instructors are there to help you and they genuinely want you to learn to ride safely - like most teachers they thrive on the reactions they see when the student 'gets it'
scootermama

Post by scootermama »

BeachBuzz wrote: go. enjoy. you'll make it fun. the instructors are there to help you and they genuinely want you to learn to ride safely - like most teachers they thrive on the reactions they see when the student 'gets it'
Thanks for the encouragement...yes, I am a fun gal, and can help make it fun! I am also going in with my written test done and passsed, so assuming I won't have to do a do over on that.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I found the class itself to be like many: read, speak, remember. No biggie, and a lot of it commonsense.

Do quick stops (not the emergency, pull hard or hit that idiot's door kind of stops, but the I see the idiot, I think I'll stop in case he does something even stupider kind) scare you?

Do you look at swerving to avoid potholes as good practice?

If your answers to the above are No and Yes, respectively, and you aren't a longtime, experienced rider, then you:
1). Should have a blast in the riding portion of the class, and
2). Are probably just at the point of really needing the riding portion of the class.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

scootermama wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement...yes, I am a fun gal, and can help make it fun!
Well, if the other half that I see of you is as pretty as the part I see in the picture...you're a FUN HOTTIE! :)

Class last night was fun, went fast, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow and Sunday. It will be in the rain most likely, from Tropical Storm Fay, but that's a good thing - since I'd rather do it first under the watchful eye of an experienced instructor AND it's not my Buddy! :)

There was one other guy in the class who had a scoot...older guy, told me he rides in his bathing suit and flip-flops...I really had to bite my tongue when I heard that. OMG - I can't imagine! I thought I was too paranoid with my gear, but talking with other guys in the class, I feel like I'm definitely doing the right thing in regards to safety.

One guy was a nurse, and he scared the crap out of me...what got me the most was when he said that when they clean the rocks and dirt and dead skin from your road rash, there's not enough morphine in the world to make the pain go away...and it's like 3-4 hours of SCREAMING in the ER....so yeah, no more shorts for me...and never without the gear - not even to go to the store 2 blocks away. Not at all worth it. AND, I told my kid (11 years old) that he's not going to be riding with me any more - unless we get him riding gear, too.

My wife bought a mesh jacket and gloves today from Motorcycle Superstore - they have a good selection of women's stuff, and great prices. She spent under $100 for the armored jacket, so didn't qualify for the MB discount, but it's free shipping, so that's cool.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but that was the biggest topic that stuck in my head...safety. All the rest was "review" after reading "Proficient Motorcycling".

I know they're all going to hammer on me tomorrow for having a powder-blue scoot (3/4 of the class are big, good ol' boys who ride big machines, but got caught without their MSF endorsement...). BTW, in FL, they will IMPOUND YOUR SCOOT OR MC if you do not have it! Glad I'm in class - I didn't know, thought it was just a fine.

:)

Can't wait for my nice ride to class tomorrow, too! (It's raining now, so I'll be going home in it...glad I bought reflective vest on Ebay for $12!)
Cya!
Mark Turkel

Genuine Buddy 125cc

greenbuddy

Post by greenbuddy »

My PDX class is Sept 6,8&9. My son's starts today. I have been WAITING since June.
Are you taking your scooter?
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

I'm going to bring mine, but I'm actually going to do the stuff with the MC...then I'll be confident on either. I think the Buddy is like cheating for u-turns and short stops, swerving, etc. Way more maneuverable, I thinks...

I'll let you know tomorrow...not sure if I have the option to ride mine for the actual class.
Cya!
Mark Turkel

Genuine Buddy 125cc

scootermama

Post by scootermama »

MarkTur wrote:
scootermama wrote:
.you're a FUN HOTTIE! :)

Awww, shucks! :oops:
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

OK, so I just got back from MSF school...I have to admit, MC's are fun, too! The bikes were Honda Nighthawk 250cc. Very easy to ride, although I will say that my hips are really sore and tired from "walking" the bike in the beginning, and then from an entire day of feet-up, feet-down, braking with the right foot, and shifting with the left. Tons of fun, but surprisingly tiring. It was actually NICE to get on the Buddy and ride home....although now that I've tasted a little more power, I wish I had more on larger open roads like the one I rode on today.

My buddy Jarrod rode up with me (Scoot and Harley), and he hung around for the day, as he used to work with the instructors - so that was great riding together again.

My Buddy maxed out (into the wind) at about 64b-mph...the road was set for 50, but people flying by at 70. For the first time, I wished the Buddy was faster. (Wonder if that had something to do with being on an MC all day).

I think I will ask Santa for a nice Yamaha 750 cruiser or a much larger scoot for Christmas, but we'll keep the Buddy for sure, too! It's mentally easier to ride, and great for around-town...the MC will be for longer rides with my wife on the back. (My only real disappointment about the Buddy is that it's not that comfy for 2).

Anyway, if you're hesitating to take the class for ANY reason, don't! Riding Coaches are really cool and friendly, and the whole thing was not intimidating to me at all. They said to relax and have fun, and that's what I did.

:)
Cya!
Mark Turkel

Genuine Buddy 125cc

scootermama

Post by scootermama »

greenbuddy wrote:My PDX class is Sept 6,8&9. My son's starts today. I have been WAITING since June.
Are you taking your scooter?
I am the week after you...out in Lake Oswego. I keep going back and forth, back and forth about whether to take my scooter. The only thing not in favor of that is getting out there with only a temporary license. Not sure I can persuade my hubby to ride out and come and get me. Plus, the issue of back roads from NE PDX to L.O.

This decision is making my head hurt. I keep reading many compelling arguments in favor of taking the scoot and in favor of using their MC's.

What are you doing?
Modern Buddy member # 2499
EPSP member # 102
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

I had no choice, and I'm actually glad I got to spend a bunch of time on a motorcycle without having to buy one myself. Try out the MC...you'll have fun - they start you from "Here is where you put the key..."
Cya!
Mark Turkel

Genuine Buddy 125cc

Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

My course was in June in Denver.
Temperatures were in the 90's and we were in the parking lot of the Soccer stadium on the black asphalt.
If you have never been to Denver in the summer, I can tell you the sun is VERY intense because we are at a mile altitude.
We started at 7 am and rode all day until 5 pm for two days. We went through more water than I have ever seen 12 people drink!

And I had a blast!

I tested on a motorcycle rather than a scooter so it made it more interesting but I had rode motorcycles 25 years ago or so.

Enjoy the class! It is invaluable and will make you a better driver in your car in addition to a better scooter rider.

Good luck on getting a good instructor; I hear it can make or break the class.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
greenbuddy

Post by greenbuddy »

Scootermama, my son took the course this weekend. I guess the results weren't typical, but it sounds brutal!

In the morning class, one woman took off her helmet and quit Saturday after she fell down 4 times, 4 people ended up quitting that class (of 12).

In his class, only 2 passed, and both of those were people who had had licenses in the past. No one who was 'new' passed. One 17 year old girl rode her motorcycle to class (didn't use it in class), failed, got on her bike and rode home.

I share your concern about riding there on my permit.... but I have a stiff hip and would not be able to do the rigorous part of getting on and off the bikes and braking all day. And I don't know if I'd be able to pick up the MC technique fast enough (day one) to go into evasive and emergency maneuvers on day 2. (It's a basic klutz-level thing - may not pertain to you!)

So, I'm going to take my Buddy and hope for the best. The roads aren't too bad from where I live, up Boones Ferry, then up thru Mtn. Park. I haven't really gone uphill yet. Yikes!

My son says day two would be good practice on the scooter, so I shouldn't skip it since safety training is what I'm most interested in. (He has a Vespa, so we'll see what happens next...maybe wait til he's 21....and the warranty is done....)

I'll let ya know how it goes!
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

Tocsik wrote:My course was in June in Denver.
Temperatures were in the 90's and we were in the parking lot of the Soccer stadium on the black asphalt.
If you have never been to Denver in the summer, I can tell you the sun is VERY intense because we are at a mile altitude.
We started at 7 am and rode all day until 5 pm for two days. We went through more water than I have ever seen 12 people drink!

And I had a blast!

I tested on a motorcycle rather than a scooter so it made it more interesting but I had rode motorcycles 25 years ago or so.

Enjoy the class! It is invaluable and will make you a better driver in your car in addition to a better scooter rider.

Good luck on getting a good instructor; I hear it can make or break the class.
Sounds like my experience!
Cya!
Mark Turkel

Genuine Buddy 125cc

MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

greenbuddy wrote: In the morning class, one woman took off her helmet and quit Saturday after she fell down 4 times, 4 people ended up quitting that class (of 12).

In his class, only 2 passed, and both of those were people who had had licenses in the past. No one who was 'new' passed. One 17 year old girl rode her motorcycle to class (didn't use it in class), failed, got on her bike and rode home.
This is NOT normal...unless all the students were unloaded from the "short bus".
Cya!
Mark Turkel

Genuine Buddy 125cc

coffeebrown

Post by coffeebrown »

I had fun in my class and the instructors were way cool. 8 out of 12 passed in my class.

While on break and talking, we were surprised to learn that in PA our MSF courses are free. Everyone has to pay, right guys???????
"A woman is like a teabag; you never know how strong she is until she's in hot water"
scootermama

Post by scootermama »

coffeebrown wrote: While on break and talking, we were surprised to learn that in PA our MSF courses are free. Everyone has to pay, right guys???????
You mean you paid and got a refund? Or, now they are free, after you paid? Which would suck.

In Oregon, you pay. Mine is, I think, $178. But, $$ very well spent, so I am fine with it.
EPSP member # 102
farrellcollie

Post by farrellcollie »

In St. louis the MSF costs ranged from $195 -$300. It is free in Illinois from what one of our instructors said - but Ill pays more for licensing than we do. We had 9 out of 12 pass (two men did not pass and the other person already had M license but wanted a refresher). Also we had four exercises on the test - the box figure 8s (intructors told us not to worry about it if a few points came off there - that it was not worth a major amount of points), a swerve, a quick stop, and a two curve stretch.
coffeebrown

Post by coffeebrown »

NO!!!!!!!!!!!! It is completely FREE!!!!!!!!!!!! no costs - period!!!

$10 for the permit and that's it. Plus, you can take the course as many times as you like as long as there are available spaces.

I think it's a PA thing. :D

What I meant to say in my previous post was that we were surprised to learn that everyone else has to pay.
"A woman is like a teabag; you never know how strong she is until she's in hot water"
scootermama

Post by scootermama »

When I pass my MSF class, this is going to be my reward:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?s ... caid=17902

I could get it now...but it's good to have something out there as the prize. Of course, passing is the prize, this is just a little icing.
EPSP member # 102
greenbuddy

Post by greenbuddy »

Scootermama, I like how you think! What a fun prize...on top of the automantic endorsement!

Riding a bike in OR is expensive. You pay $18 for the permit, you pay for the MSF (mandatory under 21. $178) and then you pay $74 for the license. An Auto license is only $59.00.

I'd heard only Oregons safety course is DOT approved, meaning you don't have to test at the DMV if you pass. True?
scootermama

Post by scootermama »

greenbuddy wrote:Scootermama, I like how you think! What a fun prize...on top of the automantic endorsement! I'd heard only Oregons safety course is DOT approved, meaning you don't have to test at the DMV if you pass. True?
Yes, every effort should come with some kind of reward, and, really, is there any time that isn't right for a bit of jewelry?

Yes, if you pass the Team Oregon MSF class you DO NOT have to do the written or driver's test. You just go in and get your license. I think that's true in other states as well.

But, it is really expensive here. That's what our gas savings is for.
EPSP member # 102
farrellcollie

Post by farrellcollie »

In missouri you don't have to do the driving part of test if you pass MSF -but you have to take written part unless you have already taken written part for the permit.
Syd

Post by Syd »

greenbuddy wrote:...I'd heard only Oregons safety course is DOT approved, meaning you don't have to test at the DMV if you pass. True?
ScooterMama wrote:Yes, if you pass the Team Oregon MSF class you DO NOT have to do the written or driver's test. You just go in and get your license. I think that's true in other states as well.
That is the case in AZ. Pass Team Arizona's BRC (Basic Rider Course) and receive a certificate which you take to DMV. $10 later you have a new license with the M endorsement.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
greenbuddy

Post by greenbuddy »

Suddenly Oregon doesn't seem all that special.... :roll:
scootermama

Post by scootermama »

greenbuddy wrote:Suddenly Oregon doesn't seem all that special.... :roll:
Oh, it's special....maybe just the old axiom, "you get what you pay for" ?
EPSP member # 102
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I took the MSF course a few years ago. I had a Honda Elite 80 at the time, and discovered that here in AZ you need a MC endorsement for anything over 50cc. The course was given by Pima Community College in Tucson, and held at Davis-Monthan AFB. It was a totally enjoyable and worthwhile course, with great instructors, and the most valuable lesson I learned is that paranoia is your best friend on a 2-wheel vehicle. I wasn't greatly impressed with the Nighthawk 250s. I don't like crotch rockets, and mine had a weird, sticky throttle. There were 2 Honda Rebels, much more to my taste, but the girls grabbed those up right away and hogged them throughout the session. There was no opportunity to bring my scooters since technically i wasn't licensed to drive it. In any case, i aced the written exam, and apparently didn't screw up too badly on the driving test, since i got my certificate. Worth every penny, IMHO, and I'd do it again in an instant, if I had to.
Christy

Post by Christy »

i had a blast at my class. I had an awesome instructor who respected my choice to be on a scooter.
EPSP #76