Air Box tube divider thingy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CycleScoot

Air Box tube divider thingy

Post by CycleScoot »

Pro's and Con's to removal? I popped open my box tonight to check the filter and slid the piece out. Drove it around the block without it and placebo'd myself into thinking it responded better. True or False?

Discuss amongst yuh-selves.
CycleScoot

Post by CycleScoot »

No one else has experimented with this? I thought we had some tinker'rs here.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

what are you talking about? pix?
CycleScoot

Post by CycleScoot »

I don't have any pictures right now, as I am at work. But if you've ever take the airbox cover off, inside the cover is a divider with a tube. The tube is about an inch in diameter. The piece slides right out allowing much more air to reach the filter.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The only divider in there houses the air filter. Are you talking about bypassing that or replacing it?

My opinion on bypassing the air filter: BAD for so many reasons - unless you're looking for a reason to buy/rebuild a new engine.

Not worth the short term boost to performance. Engines need filters, run your finger over the "dirty" side of that airbox then imagine that being suspended in oil and flossing around the piston. Bad.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
CycleScoot

Post by CycleScoot »

Lostmycage wrote:The only divider in there houses the air filter. Are you talking about bypassing that or replacing it?
In my airbox, after I remove the outer plastic cover (just above the transmission), on the inside of the removed piece (ie- the cover) is another divider with a small tube creating division from where the air comes in ---->goes thru the tube -----> and then into the air filter. That TUBE is what I am questioning.

The air filter is housed in its own separate piece, one of which a single screw holds in place. The part I am speaking of is the outer cover, held on by numerous screws.

I know better than to bypass an air filter. I did not say I was bypassing the air filter.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I didn't look at the underside of that cover - didn't want to dump the screws. The inside of mine is divided with a tube attached to the divider on one side and the filter housed on the same divider.

I'll take a look later and see. There could be a difference in how the boxes are laid out, but that doesn't make a lot of sense. Most everything else is the same on the 125/150.

I'll take another look later on...
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
rickko

Re: Air Box tube divider thingy

Post by rickko »

CycleScoot wrote:Pro's and Con's to removal? I popped open my box tonight to check the filter and slid the piece out. Drove it around the block without it and placebo'd myself into thinking it responded better. True or False?

Discuss amongst yuh-selves.
I think false (maybe minimally noticable) because the engine is only going to suck in as much air as its design allows. By removing the plate I don't think you're really allowing that much more air in.

But if you were, then you'd have to adjust the fuel mixture a tad as well. With the plate off you might be running a little on the lean side.

Of course if you increase the air taken in, then you adjust the fuel to match, now you've got to consider the spark plug gap. This is all assuming you want long lasting perfection of course.

The only certain way to increase its performance on the intake side is to RAM the air into the combustion chamber.

All a 4-stroke engine is, is an air pump. The more you can pump in using a stack (Bernoulli principal), ram or scoop, or turbo on the front end. Then compress and explode, & lastly pump out (less restrictive exhaust helps here) the more you'll feel it in the seat-of-your-pants.

Cheers!
..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

so you are saying i need a turbo? :twisted:
SCTSCT

Post by SCTSCT »

..........I would sign up for a turbo.
:shock:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

If there's a divider, it's probably there for a reason. it's diverting air to cool the engine or oil cooler or something.

I realize engineers are often directed to sacrifice performance for reliability/economy, but I really don't generally feel qualified to second-guess them.

For that matter, the divider might actually be helping to funnel more air towards the carb, and taking it out would diffuse the flow and cut down airflow.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Put me on the turbo list as well.
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

so you are saying i need a turbo?
Man, I'm not done with my cam swap yet, are you saying that now I need to fab a turbo manifold for this thing to keep up with Mikietaps? I'm not sure I know where to get a turbo with a tiny enough amount of bost that I wouldn't just blow the crank right out the bottom of the motor!
CycleScoot

Post by CycleScoot »

Here is the part I've been speaking of:

buddyinblack

Post by buddyinblack »

If more responsiveness is what you're after, you need a supercharger rather than a turbo charger.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

If more responsiveness is what you're after, you need a supercharger rather than a turbo charger.
Well, I just picked up an old roots style 6-71 blower for one of my hotrods.... Now to fab an intake.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i think like 2 pounds of boost would be good :D hahahahaha... my friend has a porche turbo that pushes 36lbs, I think we hit 38 pounds of boost once on a cold fall day on the highway, that was exciting!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I turboed a friend's 67 Plymouth Valiant with a 225ci 6 cyl. He turned it up to 40 lbs of boost. I cringe at what those pistons must look like.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

yeah, my friend had Porche do the modifications... so we trusted it, and he could afford to tear apart a brand new turbo... so he could also afford to buy another one if he messed it up!!!

My other friends bored out his turbo on his STI and reinforced many of the parts in the engine to handle some extra boost. It was supposed to run max 26 or 28? i cant remember... but I do remember being in it when it hit the electronic safety cut off of 30 pounds.... its weird when you are accelerating HARD at about 120 and having the engine shut off... :shock:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Wow, I've never worked on one with an electronic cutoff. Just a mechanical blow-off. I've always worried that it'd stick.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Kaos wrote:Wow, I've never worked on one with an electronic cutoff. Just a mechanical blow-off. I've always worried that it'd stick.
Yeah that is the problem trying to tune during the summer when it is 90+ and humid summers, then running with the same setup in the 0-20 degree dry winter temperatures... it will over-boost pretty easy if youre not careful.
CycleScoot

Post by CycleScoot »

Thanks for taking this post way off topic. :?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

CycleScoot wrote:Thanks for taking this post way off topic. :?
sorry duder :(

I dont have any experience with that piece... does it sit horizontally across the air filter... or does it kinds of stand off of it?
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Airbox design is as much art as it is science. Look at that big ugly turd on the side of a Buell. People who remove it report power losses. Another factor that the factory must consider is noise. They are trying to flow as much air while making as little noise as they can. I took mine apart today cuz this post made me curious. My filter didn't have a trace of dirt after 3000 miles. I don't think removing the tube will make you go any faster, but let us know if it does!
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

My uninformed/uneducated opinion is if I don't know what it's called or what it's designed to do it's best to leave it in place and not mess around with it. That doesn't assist you with your issue at hand too much, but then again, maybe it does!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronin_000/

"We're just all jealous that you will be able to ride for more than 45 minutes without your butt going numb." - jmazza
ringdoc

Post by ringdoc »

I watched a you tube video, on deresricting a 50 cc scooter, and he pulled out what he called a snorkle tube, kinda looked like the pic you had. and he used a wood spade bit and bored it out. bout took his hand off hahaha but borring it out was part of derestricting that scoot.