Burgman instead of my Black Cat?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Muggs

Burgman instead of my Black Cat?

Post by Muggs »

I have the Black Cat...I love it. Am getting great gas mileage.
I'm thinking of getting a Burgman 400. Any of you have one?
Muggs
"We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." B. Franklin
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

sorry... dont have one - but that is an entirely different animal
I like the look
coffeebrown

Post by coffeebrown »

I also have a Black Cat and am looking at getting a Burgman. At my MSF class this weekend, someone came riding their Burgman. That thing is sweet!!! He let me sit on it becuase I was concerned about possibly being too tall for it but it was actually a pretty good fit.

I wanted a Burgman (still do) but after riding the motorcycles in class for the past couple of days, I definitely want a motorcycle also!!! And I want a old-school moped/scooter and......I digress.

The Burgman's are very nice!!!
"A woman is like a teabag; you never know how strong she is until she's in hot water"
Muggs

Post by Muggs »

I'm thinking of going to the MSF classes. I've never had a motorcycle license. I did like the ride of the Burgman. Just like my Black Cat except I could go really fast and it was a lot heavier.
Well balanced.
I have a house in Virginia and I can see me going there on this Burgman. No shifting gears.
I might be like you if I go and get on a motorcycle.
Burgman is cheaper in price.
Tell me about the classes.
Muggs
"We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." B. Franklin
coffeebrown

Post by coffeebrown »

Muggs:

How much is a Burgman?? I'm looking at a Kawasaki Ninja 250 and the MSRP is $3,499. Some scooters cost that much or more, right?

Anyway; about the MSF classes: The first two days consist of learning the road/safety rules. You sit in a class and go over questions that will be on the test and watch safety videos. At the end of the second class, you take a knowledge test. Pretty easy. The next two classes consist of riding motorcycles through various skill-building excercises. You learn to quick-stop, to do tight turns (figure eights), take a corner, swerve, etc. The most difficult part for me was getting the shifting down and starting from a stop without having my mc cut off on me. The clutch lever control takes some getting used to. We used 125 & 250 bikes for these classes. At the end of the second day, we were tested on our ability to do the figure eight, quick stop, swerving and cornering (without braking).
"A woman is like a teabag; you never know how strong she is until she's in hot water"
Muggs

Post by Muggs »

The Burgman 400 is about 6,000 the 650 is about 8,000. I was looking at the 400, but it would be a strain on the engine going on a long trip. The 650 can go 70 on the interstate for long periods.
I want to travel to VA from KY and perhaps other long trips.
So now I'm looking at Honda Motorcycles and others in the 7,000 dollar range.
I'll be getting rid of the scooter probably within 6 Months.
Muggs
Taz

Post by Taz »

I had a Burgman 650 Exec. I sold it to a guy in California and road it from Chicago to San Fran to deliver it. It was a great scoot and I regret selling it. Main reason I sold it was there is no parking benefit where I currently live unless you have a 50cc scoot.

I was amazed how good the scoot ran even up some of the really steep hill outside of Salt Lake City. It was an incredible scoot. I averaged about 54 mpg on the trip and I had a HUGE oversize windshield installed. I made the ride in a little over 36 hours total time including a hotel stop. It definitely was an iron butt run.

Burgman is definitely one of the best scoots out there. Don't consider the 400 size though unless you get at least a 2007 model or newer. The valve maint. intervals of every 3k miles get spendy in a hurry unless you do it yourself. They easily offset almost any savings on gas you might have for riding a scooter unless you stop driving your Hummer...