Buddy Seat

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

spinbud

Buddy Seat

Post by spinbud »

I'd like to improve the buddy seat experience. Has anyone put an aftermarket seat on or an overlay? Specifically I'd like to create the Saddle-effect..with the slope up the back of the seat to cant the pelvis forward a bit and improve low back position. I've tried foam overlays without success. Any suggestions. I find during long rides I'm hunching forward a bit, relaxing the lumbar curve and ...well I'd just like to make a great scooter better. Thanks
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

you could look into reshaping the existing seat, there should be some non-buddy-specific posts on here about cutting down a seat or reshaping a seat. you may run into the problem of having to "reshape" the seat cover if you trim down too much. the other problem is there isn't much padding as you get closer to the back of the seat so there is less that you can cut or sand down. i haven't heard of another seat that fits the buddy so far.

good luck. with some time i figure some company will come out with an aftermarket seat for the buddy. some auto upholstery shops may be able to help if you wanted to cut down or reshape the seat.
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

may I recommend:

Spencers Motorcycle Seat Mods
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

article about Spencer's
http://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=1694017
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Tutorial on cutting down a seat:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto ... index.html

Crystal of scooterfix/scooterseatcovers fame also had a good tutorial on scooterfix, but the site is kablooey.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
spinbud

Buddy Seat

Post by spinbud »

Hey Guys, thanks for the replies. A motorcycle seat oufit would be over 10% the price of the buddy I'm afraid. As for the cut-down...a possibility, I think maybe an upholstery shop could do it. Not sure how well the seat would take more staples. I'm a little suprised that plastic took the original staples as well as it did. I did look at "airhawk comfort seating" which are gel-like overlays with straps but those things are$120 bucks. I did cut a foam wedge to test my theory and it worked...just not comfprtable enough. Plus, I already get sideways looks from redneck teens and fat tattooed men that think I should ride something more manly. Stickin' a wedge under my arse may be a little too much.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Like this?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :P

Post a pic if you do some mods. I'm prepping for a trip to Canada next year and I know my posterior is going to suffer.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Every time I see this post, I think it's about these:

http://www.scooterworks.com/Buddy_Seats_C146.cfm
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
robtaylor

Re: Buddy Seat

Post by robtaylor »

spinbud wrote:Not sure how well the seat would take more staples.
it'll work you just have to be firm about it and don't get staple that are too long. i pulled the cover off of my seat when i thought about cutting it down and i was able to staple it back on with only minor issues. i used staples that were too long at first.

www.cannonballbuddy.com
spinbud

Buddy Seat

Post by spinbud »

Hey Robon,
What kind/size staples did you use? What kind of staple gun? Appreciate it.
robtaylor

Re: Buddy Seat

Post by robtaylor »

spinbud wrote:Hey Robonz,
What kind/size staples did you use? What kind of staple gun? Appreciate it.
it's a stanley (i think it's called a sure shot or something) it's what i hang my christmas lights with and the staples are arrow t50's i think they are 1/4" long

www.cannonballbuddy.com
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

rickko

Post by rickko »

Take a look at this post in our Tech Library:

topic6243.html

4 or 5mm staples will work great. The post shows a staple gun that will work.

There is plenty of space to re-staple.

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
spinbud

Buddy Seat

Post by spinbud »

Hey Robonz, Rikko and Betsy thanks for the info. If only this successful and cooperative sense of community would take place out in the world on a daily basis. Props to you all.
Sounds like a cut-down with my product added would work. Now the stapling doesn't seem that big a deal, heck I could start over with a new seat for $90 bucks, (provided I'd get one this decade from backordered suppliers). And Betsy, obviously Pirate Upholstery could to do a first rate job...but for now that's a little rich for me. Stan at Vespa Atl called them about a buddy seat re-do while I was down there whining about it and they came back starting at $300. Thanks all.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

i thought a new seat was only $70.00?

i would start with trying to re-shap the seat all by it self with out adding your "product" you should be able to get the angle shaped correctly without adding anything. if that sdoesn't work then i would try the wedge. if that doesn't work then i would buy a new seat. but you're right it may take you 9 months to actually get a new seat.

www.cannonballbuddy.com
spinbud

buddy seat

Post by spinbud »

I wasn't sure how much cushion would be left after the cutdown. It's all not that big-a-deal just trying to make it all best it can be. I'd prefer to have the replacement seat in-hand before starting the new surgical mod.