Do you protect your hearing while riding?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

coffeekittie

Do you protect your hearing while riding?

Post by coffeekittie »

I've seen over and over again online, discussions from long-time MC riders about their hearing loss from wind/traffic noises. Even in my MSF class, the instructor highly recommended using earplugs to protect our hearing, and described the constant ringing that he experiences. Not being one to turn down the chance for a new present tto myself, I found these: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx . Pretty great item - I can listen to my mp3s while riding, but can't hear the wind whistling by. I *can* still hear sirens, horns, etc, so I believe they are safe to use. The smaller size makes them comfortable to wear 8)
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
armacham

Post by armacham »

WHAT?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i protect my ears with my iPod ear buds.
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Yeah I either use my ipod earbuds when listening to music or your generic run of the mill super soft earplugs that can be picked up at shops like Cycle Gear for a few bucks for a couple dozen. The ipod earbuds do a real nice job blocking out the wind and traffic noise even when not playing music though that only happens when in between songs.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I kinda think this would really only be a problem for people who ride regularly with their ears exposed. I find it hard to believe that there would be that much wind noise with a 3/4 or full face helmet. I could sorta see it with a 1/2 or one of those little skull cap deals.
rickko

Post by rickko »

With hundreds of thousands of miles in the wind over the years I've found if I expect to ride on a freeway for more than 30 mins continuous it is more comfortable to wear earplugs.

Otherwise I never do around town (scooter) or for freeway trips (m/c) less than 30 miles.

One time years ago I forgot or didn't have any plugs and rode over 600 freeway miles one day on a m/c w/only a beanie helment, probably averaging 65-70mph. That evening my ears were in pain! Yes, pain.

Any sound was painful and very blurry. I never experienced anything like it before. I had to go to bed. It took that night to clear up.

I'm over 60 now but so far I haven't noticed any significant loss of hearing. But it is hereditary and my grandfather & father both lost some of their hearing as they aged so I expect I eventually will also.

I do have mild tinnitus (ringing in ears). It could be from lots of unprotected riding over the past 44 years or could be part of my gene inheritance or a combination of both.

Cheers!
..rickko..
Last edited by rickko on Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

The thing with hearing is you only loose it. YOu don't get it back.

I also use my Ipod earbuds, with music pumping through.
Wouldn't listen to music in a city-only on the wide open road.

I HIGHLY recommend earplugs and a good, expensive helmet. I rode with a Fulmer last year and a Z1r Stance this year. The Z1R was better at blocking sound and it is an affordable price.

After the 22k mile ride, I've noticed a decline in my hearing. It sucks. I didn't always use the earplugs and I should have. People tried to warn me.

It took getting off the bike one day, having ridden 200 with another 100 to go, and feeling dizzy. I shook my head back and forth and could hear a "whaaaaant whaaaaant whaaaaaaa" sound in my ears. Basically, driving without earplugs is like listening to a seashell.
I realized not wearing the earplugs wasn't just affecting my hearing, but my balance as well.

Thats my 2cents.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

I even wear them in my left ear when i travel long distances in my car. you see, i Love to ride with the windows down it gives me that no helmet law feel, yes, its a Modern alternative, without the safety concerns i would otherwise have riding the Buddy.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Yes I do. During warmer weather on short trips I hear a skull cap helmet with ear plugs. When I wear my full face I usually dont but sometimes do, wear the ear plugs. The FF helmet does a good job at blocking the noise.
Jake

Post by Jake »

I usually did on my rocket, never have on my Buddy. I always wear a full face, but it really doesn't matter when you're doing longer distances at highway speeds. I remember doing two consecutive 300-mile days on my Yamaha FZR600 before I wore plugs. It sucked, ear-wise.
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

I would HIGHLY recommend noise protection for any sustained high speed riding. You will damge your hearing with prolonged exposure to loud noise.

I personally use these plugged into my mp3 player, which is also my cell phone.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx

They block 30 db of sound and have great sound quality.
Missa

Post by Missa »

Earplugs or earbuds are great. I took an audiology class and prolonged exposure to that much noise can cause permanant damage. So don't turn up the ipod too loud to try and drown out the sounds around you, or that will cause damage too.
"Sembra una vespa"
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Etymotic ER6i earbuds are just like the ear plugs you show. They block as much noise AND supply you with tunes. About $100 online. Skullcandy $15 are almost as good, but not quite.
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

I thought about getting earplug/earphones I could plug into my player, but the cost was prohibitive - the Skullcandy look interesting though - might have to give those a shot.

The reason I went with the BabyBlues from Etymotic is I wear them no matter if I'm listening to music or not - don't have to change thing out - and turning up the tunes a bit won't damage my hearing, while the background noice is always much reduced.

I find my ears are sensitive anytime I drive around 45mpg+ for any length of time, so I wear them a lot. Tinnitus doesn't *sound* fun :P
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Skullcandy are the earphones I use with my ipod and they do a great job.
Gen. Magnus

Post by Gen. Magnus »

For all of you that use an MP3 player while riding, do you feel there are any safety concerns do to the player's use? Also, isn't this illegal in most states? I'm nearly 100% sure it is in mine, Missouri.
"Scootering. Fun in the sun cause I'm scootering. Playing ska on my walkman. Scootering with a friend of mine today." - Scootering, The Invaders

Mad Toto Scooter Club of Kansas City
SaltyDog

Post by SaltyDog »

Earplugs/Earphones are illegal in Virginia if you have them in both ears.

from the Virginia DMV web site:

# It is unlawful to operate a motor vehicle, moped or bicycle on Virginia roadways while using earphones or headphones in both ears.
Cushman Deluxe Highlander Model 715 (back in the day)
CPI Oliver City 50
Honda Elite 250
Piaggio MP3-250
Lusting in my heart for a GB Pamplona...
Working my up to a Suzuki Burgman and retirement!
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

SaltyDog wrote:Earplugs/Earphones are illegal in Virginia if you have them in both ears.

from the Virginia DMV web site:

# It is unlawful to operate a motor vehicle, moped or bicycle on Virginia roadways while using earphones or headphones in both ears.
Just pointing out that according to the letter of the law quoted here earplugs are not mentioned. Earphones and headphones are but not earplugs so if you plug both ears and get cited it would stand up in court that youhad not broken any law. (Unless of course there is another law forbidding the use of earplugs in both ears. :P
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

California law changed a couple of years ago. Used to be only custom made earplugs were approved, now all of them are. Headphones are NOT. I don't care! As soon as they outlaw 500 watt stereos and deaf drivers, I might pay attention to the law. Until then, screw 'em!
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

Yes earbuds are illegal here in CA. As for safety, I wouldn't recommend wearing them at low speed because you can still here things and that is a safety factor. But at highway speeds you're not going to hear anything so might as well add some tunes to the ride.
rickko

Post by rickko »

Earbud ticket in CA story.

Once upon a time I did an illegal U-turn exiting after a stadium sporting event. So happens the local LEO's were right there to see it. One of them jumped in his cruiser and chased me through heavy traffic. I figured I could split lanes and get away in the heavy traffic but I forgot, they have a red light and siren so he split through the traffic like Moses split the Red Sea.

Long story short, he caught up to me and pulled me over. Then asked why I didn't pull over sooner. I lied saying, "I couldn't hear him because I had my earbuds in" (under my helmet). I didn't know it was illegal.

The good news, he was so mad he ticketed me for the earbuds and FORGOT to write the Illegal U-turn ticket. Whew!!!! I lucked out 'cause the earbud ticket didn't impact my insurance. The U-turn one might have (and would certainly be more expensive.

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

That settles it! I'm never taking my earbuds out now!