Help: How do you best secure a cable/chain lock to a Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Help: How do you best secure a cable/chain lock to a Buddy?

Post by Portland_Rider »

I'm getting my first scooter/cycle a Buddy 150 delivered soon.

Today, I went to the dealership to consider how to connect a chain/cable lock to the Buddy chassis or wherever. I got down onto my stomach and was looking at the scooter allover and trying to find a secure steel/metal piece that is practical.

It seems like there are a couple of metal parts that can theoretically be used yet they can be removed with a wrench or other tool to then pull away the chain/cable.

A rep, at the dealership, suggested that I wrap a cable/chain underneath and around the body of Buddy (where you place your feet; that area). I'm not thrilled about this idea as it is possible that a thief can loosen up the chain/cable by moving the scooter closer to the physical object it is chained to. A thief can then use the new slack in the chain/cable to maybe lift it off the scooter.

Interestingly, there was a claims agent there from a major insurance firm. I spoke with him and he said that almost all of their claims are for minor body repair. He said that they never get thefts reported in Portland. Hopefully, that was not an exaggeration. Still, I intend to secure mine if I can figure out how.

Any thoughts or advice?

PR
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

around the rear shock or the center stand bracket
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Actually I agree with the advice to wrap it around the floorboard. It's by far the most secure spot on the Buddy. Many other logical places can be unscrewed or unbolted. It would be pretty hard to get enough slack in the chain to slide it off unless you have a really big chain but the simple solution to that is to twist it as many times as you need to until it is tight. Then a thief would have to flip your scooter over and over to get the slack needed.

A more likely way it will get stolen is either that the chain will get cut (there are only a few out there that are actually very hard to cut) or the object you have it locked to will get cut. Don't buy a $150 chain and then lock it to a fence with tiny wooden posts.

I'm surprised the ins agent didn't tell you (and maybe he did) that the bottom line is, if someone wants to steal your scooter, they will. Do your best to lock it, but make sure you have decent insurance if that happens.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Look under your floorboard. There's a thick black squared-off-U-shaped bar that's actually part of the frame. That's where I was told to lock to.

I do end up getting a knee dusty sometimes, but it gives you a little more reach than trying to wrap your whole scoot with the lock.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Quo Vadimus wrote:Look under your floorboard. There's a thick black squared-off-U-shaped bar that's actually part of the frame. That's where I was told to lock to.

I do end up getting a knee dusty sometimes, but it gives you a little more reach than trying to wrap your whole scoot with the lock.
Those are notoriously easy to cut through—I've seen pics of those defeated with bolt cutters…
Here's the lowdown on that pic.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

Again anytime someone really wants something they WILL get it. Just make your bike less desirable then others.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

tunseeker1 wrote:Again anytime someone really wants something they WILL get it. Just make your bike less desirable then others.
Exactly. Do whatever you can to challenge a thief, hopefully they'll pass up your bike for another, but nothing beats good insurance.

And always park next to a nicer bike.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Portland_Rider

Great advice here --- thanks ya'all!

Post by Portland_Rider »

The insurance claims rep and all types of other folk have indeed said that if a serious thief wants the scooter, it's gone. I do have excellent insurance of my own to back up any physical security devices.

Portland is generally a very safe city and my current neighborhood is extremely safe (that will go down a notch to simply a safe neighborhood rating in the near future). I don't work in or go into restaurants, shopping, etc in bad areas of a city.

For daytime scooting around Portland, I'm thinking about using a standard 10mm cable lock (6' or so) as it's lightweight, compact, and easy to adapt to using. Additionally, I plan on using a disc lock with an alarm like the Xena. Then, the Buddy 150 has that column-lock feature too.

Still, overnight I'm considering beefing-up my security measures versus daytime where the scoot will be parked in generally safe areas often with people around (yes, I know that is no guarantee). Night-time, I'm thinking the big bad Kryptonite heavy chains and locks wrapped around the scooter and something else very stationary.

Eric Calm posted a photo of that under the floorboard ring cut on a Vespa(?). The link with the photo leads to a Vespa topic on security that has some good posts to review.

While it is obvious that the undercarriage ring can be cut, I may decide to use it for daytime parking of my Buddy 150 since again the thefts seem to currently target Vespas and others. If someone has the tools to cut through the undercarriage ring, then they have the means to cut through a 10mm cable.

If/when gas goes to $7 a gallon, then I think we'll see a big increase in Buddy scooter theft here in Portland.

Personally, I do see gas prices going way higher with the ongoing debasing (or devaluing) of our currency, Opec eventually dumping the US (oil trading) dollar, the emergence of that $3-5K car being built in China and India, and the demand among the emerging world economies for car ownership. Thats another topic.

Thanks again!

Any feedback on my plans for security is always welcome.

PR
jmazza

Re: Great advice here --- thanks ya'all!

Post by jmazza »

Portland_Rider wrote: Any feedback on my plans for security is always welcome.
One comment that often gets mentioned is to cover the scoot at night. A covered 2-wheeler is more likely to be passed over or missed than a shiny, new, uncovered International Buddy.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Here's a great thread on this subject:

topic434.html
ModBud #442
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

ericalm wrote:
Quo Vadimus wrote:Look under your floorboard. There's a thick black squared-off-U-shaped bar that's actually part of the frame. That's where I was told to lock to.
Those are notoriously easy to cut through—I've seen pics of those defeated with bolt cutters…
Here's the lowdown on that pic.
Hmm. The bar I'm talking about is about 1-1.25" thick, an actual part of the frame. Being a part of this community is the first instance of me ever wanting to own a digital camera.

Anyway, I'm sure you could cut through said bar if you wanted to, but it'd be a lot noisier/messier than removing a wheel.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

i was told by my sales person to utilize the rear shock.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

Quo Vadimus wrote:
Hmm. The bar I'm talking about is about 1-1.25" thick, an actual part of the frame. Being a part of this community is the first instance of me ever wanting to own a digital camera.

Anyway, I'm sure you could cut through said bar if you wanted to, but it'd be a lot noisier/messier than removing a wheel.
Where on the scoot are you thinking?

I'll go take a picture of it if you describe it.
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

scullyfu wrote:i was told by my sales person to utilize the rear shock.
It seems to me that the rear shock would be an insecure location to attach the chain to because a thief could unbolt the rear shock. I have not removed the rear shock but it appears to me that by just unscrewing the rear shock’s attachment bolts you can remove the shock pretty easily.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

OK everyone remember the most important thing.

If someone has the tools to unbolt the shock of your bike then

THEY WILL GET IT NO MATTER WHERE YOU LOCK IT TO.

These security measure are to take care of the casual thefts. the ones where people take them for a joyride or just move the scoot out of the way.

Your scoot will never be truly safe.

I have been putting alarms in cars for about 17 years and a car with the most secure alarm and being in a locked alarmed building was still stolen.
Portland_Rider

Difficulty finding a good simple way to secure a Buddy 150

Post by Portland_Rider »

There do not seem to be any U-shaped or other shaped bars underneath the Buddy 150 to slide a cable through.

It seems like the best place to slide a cable over is underneath the chassis and over a black metal piece that is very close to the exhaust. Not sure the name, but it is part of the chassis and can't be unscrewed.

The metal openings in the wheel may not even be big enough to slide a small cable through.

PGO/Genuine appear not to have designed the Buddy 150 for owners to easily secure their scooters. I have not looked under the Buddy 125.

Today, I ordered the Xena disc lock with alarm and a basic cable lock to deter low-level theft attempts. As soon as they arrive along, I'm taking delivery and hitting the road!
hcstrider

Re: Difficulty finding a good simple way to secure a Buddy 1

Post by hcstrider »

Portland_Rider wrote:Today, I ordered the Xena disc lock with alarm and a basic cable lock to deter low-level theft attempts. As soon as they arrive along, I'm taking delivery and hitting the road!
That sounds like a pretty good combination of locks. A couple of other minor deterrents that you can utilize are:

1 – Engage the Buddy’s steering column lock by moving the key in the ignition to the left while simultaneously moving the handle bar to the left (so that the front wheel turns left). When you feel the steering column lock into position you can pull the key out of the ignition and the steering column will remain locked in that position.

2 – Turn the kill switch to the off position.
Wayne
Steven.

Post by Steven. »

I work in a low-income/high crime area of Los Angeles. There's lots of gangbangers and ne'er do wells who would love to take my scoot for a spin, so I spent as much on security as I could without getting too crazy.

I have the Kryptonite <a href="http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ ... 1174";>New York Noose</a> and <a href="http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ ... 1142";>New York Disc Lock</a>. I slide one end of the noose through the metal bits on the right side, near the exhaust. I think it's part of the center stand (I figure if they can't set the scoot down, they can't take off on it). If there's a pole nearby, I secure the chain to the pole. If there's no pole, I put the chain between the fork and rim, then secure the lock around the right side of the front fork.

For my wife, who works in a far nicer part of town, I purchased a Kryptonite <a href="http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ ... >KryptoLok disc lock</a> for the disc brakes, only to find I'd gotten one with a bold that is too big for the holes in the Buddy's brakes. I was going to return it, but then I dropped it and chipped the paint. So now I have a lock that I can't use. Any takers?
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

I have a basic 6' cable lock that I usually put around the floorboard, through the center stand, and around a support post for the stairwell in my apartment's garage. I don't really want an alarm because there's a bicycle that I share the post with, and the scoot probably gets bumped at least a little while he's unlocking his bike. Pissing off neighbors = not good for keeping the scoot wheels down.

I might need to invest in a disc lock or grip lock though - several of my usual haunts don't have good places to lock to.
scootersRhogs2

Post by scootersRhogs2 »

i lock mine around the front shocks. is this a bad idea????
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

scootersRhogs2 wrote:i lock mine around the front shocks. is this a bad idea????
Not ideal from what I've learned. A thief can easily loosen up a few nuts and bolts and pull the scoot away if you are locking it as I suspect. FYI, even a 20mm+ cable can be cut through by a thief with limited experience. All he/she needs is a cutting tool, some muscle, and will. Chain links are generally stronger than cable.

PR
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

Portland_Rider wrote:
scootersRhogs2 wrote:i lock mine around the front shocks. is this a bad idea????
Not ideal from what I've learned. A thief can easily loosen up a few nuts and bolts and pull the scoot away if you are locking it as I suspect. FYI, even a 20mm+ cable can be cut through by a thief with limited experience. All he/she needs is a cutting tool, some muscle, and will. Chain links are generally stronger than cable.

PR
Again if they have tools to take a scoot apart or cut the cable then they WILL get it no matter how you lock it up.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I tried explaining how I lock up my scooters but it's difficult to paint a verbal picture, so I've attached something a bit more visual.

I'm squarely in tunseeker1's camp, you want to slow down or deter the casual thief. You can't stop the pro who has targeted your stuff. Also, I refuse to get on my knees or lie down on hot, filthy asphalt to lock up my bikes. I already need to change shoes when I come into the office, I can't afford the time to wash my pants and scrub down my hands. The bottom of your scoot gets filthy, as do the wheels, the shock and anything else that gets splashback.

When I bought my first scoot, way back when, my salesman showed me this method. Not sure I'd trust it overnight in a bad neighborhood, but, for during the day at work or a stop at a store, it's never failed.
Attachments
DSC_0002resize.jpg
DSC_0002resize.jpg (162.46 KiB) Viewed 885 times
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

I agree with tunseeker1, if a professional thief wants to steal your scooter then locks, chains, alarms will not prevent the theft. However I will not make the theft easy by attaching the chain to an insecure location such as the rear shock or center stand because a thief can quickly and easily bypass my chain by removing the rear shock or center stand. For example, one of the tools I carry in my Buddy is a 6 inch crescent wrench which I use for tightening my mirrors. That same crescent wrench can be used to remove the rear shock.

I have a second, more compelling motivation for attaching the chain/lock to a secure location on the Buddy, I want to make the chain/lock the weak point of my security. I have the Kryptonite Fagettaboutit chain/lock which will pay my insurance deductible if the chain/lock is reason for the theft. If I attach the Fagettaboutit chain/lock to the rear shock and a thief bypasses the chain/lock by removing the rear shock then Kryptonite will not pay for my insurance deductible because the chain/lock did not fail. I am motivated to force the thief to cut the chain/lock.

I don’t always lock up my Buddy as securely as I claim. A lot of times I don’t lock it because I can see my Buddy from the store or restaurant that I am in or I lock it up with a cable lock because I am in a low crime area. However if I decide to use the Fagettaboutit chain/lock then I will wrap the chain around a secure part of the Buddy.
Wayne
bulldog1967

Post by bulldog1967 »

Around the floorboard with a 6' long New York Kryptonite chain.