buddy not starting...possible engine flooded after transport

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Jessica

buddy not starting...possible engine flooded after transport

Post by Jessica »

I just returned from getting my first service done on my buddy today. My roommate and I just finished unloading it from the back of his truck. I went to start it to run it around the neighborhood for a short trip, and it won't start. The engine is making sounds like it almost wants to crank, but nothing. My roommate tried to kick start it....nothing. He thinks the engine may have gotten some gas in it during transport. If my engine IS flooded, what do I do to get it running again? My buddy has never given me any problems until now. It has always started up right away. :cry:
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

Well, how good are you with a wrench?

First place I would start is to take the spark-plug out and see if it stinks of petrol.

We'll go from there.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I got it to start finally. I just let it rest for a couple of hours and went back out there to try it again. It started after the second try, then quite a bit of smoke came out of the exhaust. I let it run for a few and then took it around the block. It seems fine now. I guess it just needed a break.
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

If you can, run it down to below 1/4 tank before transporting -
My scoot does the same thing but less gas helps
when you get it home, letting it sit is the trick -
if you need to start it, I suggest the kick start (save the wear & tear on the electric start)
I wish mine had a fuel line valve like my sleds do - I put them on my ATVs for the same reason - I dont trailer the scooter much so havent looked into a shut off on the fuel line.
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

This same thing happened to me after transporting it in my van for the first service. I took it out of the van and went to start it up and nothing. Just kept craaaaaanking. But at least it was in the right place if it was a problem lol. Anyway, my mech told me it started up fine in the morning. I didn't think it was tilted over very far, but i guess even a little bit can flood it :shock:
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

It dosent have to be tilted for it to happen.
Gas gets splashed into the carb and because your engine is not running, it gets flooded.