Fogging Out

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MarkTur

Fogging Out

Post by MarkTur »

No, not talking about burning buds in the car.... heh!

Today it rained...then the sun came out, so it rained back up from the ground to the sky...parking lot was dry in less than 30 minutes! But I was fogging my glasses and visor when I was stopped at lights and stop signs. When moving, air came in through the vents and slowly cleared it up (high humitidy simply was not letting the wavet evaporate)...

So what do you all do to get rid of your fog?
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"
docutech

Post by docutech »

I wash the inside of my shield with Barbasol shaving cream. Works well and it smells good for a minute. In very humid situations such as the one you mention above, fogging is inevitable. It has happened to me as well.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yep, wiping the inside of the shield with a little dish soap does the same as what docutech recommends. You can also buy anti-fogging wipes or products such as Cat Crap.

I'll often just pop the shield a bit open at stops, which is where it tends to fog up on me.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ericalm wrote: I'll often just pop the shield a bit open at stops, which is where it tends to fog up on me.
+1
Frankie 2 Tone

Post by Frankie 2 Tone »

I just keep the shield up unless I am riding without glasses. No Foggy...lol
Kickin' it hard to the Rock Steady Beat!!!!!!!!
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

My Scorpion helmet does NOT fog up. I have used the Fog City stick on film. It works but I don't like the weird star pattern in lights at night. Liquid dish soap is as good as any commercial stuff. Zook that they sell at motorcycle shows is worse.
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

ericalm wrote:Yep, wiping the inside of the shield with a little dish soap does the same as what docutech recommends. You can also buy anti-fogging wipes or products such as Cat Crap.
I had this problem today, very hard to see :x but excuse me, CAT CRAP??? who thinks up these things? Any marketing folks here to explain? :roll:
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I LOVE the Fog City insert. It never fogs up. I feel ridiculous for how long I went without using it.

P.S. I've tried the dish soap and the cracking the shield open. After getting a product that actually works, I feel like the amount of fog I used to live with was stupid and dangerous. (I ride in cold and rain and at night.)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

coffeekittie wrote:
ericalm wrote:Yep, wiping the inside of the shield with a little dish soap does the same as what docutech recommends. You can also buy anti-fogging wipes or products such as Cat Crap.
I had this problem today, very hard to see :x but excuse me, CAT CRAP??? who thinks up these things? Any marketing folks here to explain? :roll:
How many times have you seen a very expensive tv commercial that you thought was pretty cool or really well done, only to forget what the actual product advertised was?

Now, how likely are you to forget the name "Cat Crap"? It works! :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

"Cat Crap"....
Guess you need to be careful to specify what your talking about when you recommend this to other people.

"Yeah, I just wipe some cat crap on my visor and it keeps it from fogging."
"...So...wait, WHAT?!?"
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

And it just pisses off the cat!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

No wipes, no sprays, no cat crap. I just open to the first click and my shield is about a 1/2" open. Shield clears up almost instantly and little if any of the rain gets in.
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

DennisD wrote:No wipes, no sprays, no cat crap. I just open to the first click and my shield is about a 1/2" open. Shield clears up almost instantly and little if any of the rain gets in.
I know I can do that, too...but then I get the whistling wind in my ears.

Is there a Rain-x product that will be OK for the clear shield? (And my glasses - or is the Cat Crap the way to go?)
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

MarkTur wrote:
DennisD wrote:No wipes, no sprays, no cat crap. I just open to the first click and my shield is about a 1/2" open. Shield clears up almost instantly and little if any of the rain gets in.
I know I can do that, too...but then I get the whistling wind in my ears.

Is there a Rain-x product that will be OK for the clear shield? (And my glasses - or is the Cat Crap the way to go?)
Cat crap or another anti-fogging product will be the way to go because the problem isn't water repulsion. You could try anti-fog on the inside of the visor and on glasses and Rain-X on the outside, I suppose.

The cracking the helmet thing works well except when I'm wearing glasses, when I'm half blind (if I leave the visor down long enough to fog) for about 10 seconds after starting again. This winter, I'll want some kind of product.

As for rain, I think one of those thumb squeegees may be the best deal.
Here's one.
Here's the Aerostitch one pictured below.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I've tried Cat Crap several times with no luck. But it was for skiing and bicycling, not scooting. But it never worked for me. In fact, I've never had luck with any commercial preparation.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

k1dude wrote:I've tried Cat Crap several times with no luck. But it was for skiing and bicycling, not scooting. But it never worked for me. In fact, I've never had luck with any commercial preparation.
Have you tried soap? Guess i could try this on my shades, too.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

ericalm wrote:Have you tried soap? Guess i could try this on my shades, too.
Plain softsoap from a dispenser is the only thing that seems to work reliably for me. After trying just about everything, I gave up and started cleaning with just plain liquid soap at the kitchen faucet. My fogging problem seemed to disappear. So I have to say soap worked for me. But I wash it off, I don't leave it on.
buddyinblack

Post by buddyinblack »

I love my modular! If it starts to fog, I flip it up. Problem solved. I also use rain-x FOR BOAT WINDSHIELDS (plastic). I'm not sure if they have fog-x for plastic.