Parking sucks on campus... ...for cages!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

buddyinblack

Parking sucks on campus... ...for cages!

Post by buddyinblack »

I absolutely love being able to park up front and not even having to "cruise" the lot. Scooters rock!
Tysonviolin

Re: Parking sucks on campus... ...for cages!

Post by Tysonviolin »

buddyinblack wrote:I absolutely love being able to park up front and not even having to "cruise" the lot. Scooters rock!
I am a sound engineer on the Cal Poly campus in San Luis Obispo and parking there sucks. Especially for motorcycles since we are NOT allowed to park in regular spaces and motorcycle spaces are hard to come by. So much for the Governator being an environmentalist.
Scooting is ZEN....
buddyinblack

Post by buddyinblack »

Here at University of Houston, we are not allowed to park in regular spots either however we are allowed to park at the bike racks and we have quite a few motorcycle parking spots. In fact in some areas they have even taken out a few car spots in order to accommodate more cycles. Sorry to hear that they aren't being very scooter friendly. You should write to the president or vice pres and point out the need for more spots. Most of the upper staff don't ride cycles and therefor might not even be aware of the problem.
Last edited by buddyinblack on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Or having to pay the horrific costs of a parking pass!
Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin »

sunshinen wrote:Or having to pay the horrific costs of a parking pass!
I think I have to pay $15 a quarter. Daily is the same as cars.
Scooting is ZEN....
buddyinblack

Post by buddyinblack »

there is that too. I have to have a pass though for when it rains or is freezing out.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I had no car OR scooter when I was in school... but I was also in Downtown Chicago... So I had the red line, and the 147 bus to get me to and from my apartment and class. :D
skotot

Post by skotot »

We have designated motorcycle/scooter spots at Northern Illinois University and will get a hefty fine if we park in a regular space or on the sidewalk. It's a major headache considering there are only four spaces by the science building and four by the math building. And even though that means eight can squeeze in there if we work together, I still get stuck having to park way across campus sometimes....
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

At Cleveland State, parking is FREE for mc's/sccots AND it is right in front of campus police station. Back when I was trying to convince my spouse we needed a scooter, this about sealed the deal when he called to look into it. So he is saving about $50 a month and can actually get a space, whereas with the car it was not a sure thing.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

In years past, moto and scoot parking here at Regis was pretty haphazard. When I bought my first scoot, I talked to our campus police about locking it up under a building overhang, next to where we park a departmental golf cart. I've been using that spot for about 7 years now. It's protected from the searing Colorado sun as well as the occasional rain and snow storm.

Over the course of the past 2 years, the number of motorcycles and scooters on campus has ballooned. The bike racks on campus were overwhelmed so, this summer, they started setting aside large, odd shaped areas in parking lots for moto and scoot parking. I'm actually pretty proud of how Regis has handled it, hopefully it's enough space.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I don't understand the deal with not allowing motorcycles/scooters to use standard spots. They're considered vehicles, are plated, insured, etc...what's the deal? Vehicle's a vehicle...I guess not?
:?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

not to mention... if one MC / scoot parks in there... 4 more will probobly also squeeze in there...

This happens to me like 60% of the time when I park in a normal parking lot in the city.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Cheshire wrote:I don't understand the deal with not allowing motorcycles/scooters to use standard spots. They're considered vehicles, are plated, insured, etc...what's the deal? Vehicle's a vehicle...I guess not?
:?
For the most part, college and university campuses have a finite number of parking spaces that just happen to be fewer in number than the cars trying to find parking. Giving up that much real estate for what will probably be one or two bikes is a waste of space, especially when closer, better spaces are made available for bikes. Bike parking may also be cheaper, or even free while car parking passes are a major source of campus revenue.

It's a good thing. Not like sitting in the back of the bus at all...
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

I LOVE riding my scoot to school and parking it, no need to shark through the lots looking for a spot, sucks for those CAGERS! :rofl:
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

My son took his Buddy 125 to Florida State and they have "2 wheeled" parking all over the place. My son parks his Buddy 100' from his dorm while his friends are out circling the parking lot for 25 minutes to find a cage parking spot. Florida State has done a real good job of providing excellent parking spaces for those who ride 2 wheeled vehicles.