Just got my Givi E30

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sbebenelli

Just got my Givi E30

Post by sbebenelli »

I got my Givi E30 a couple days ago. It took about 3 weeks to receive it from TwistedThrottle. I did order the light kit but haven't received it yet. I've never used any other topcase so I have nothing to compare it to.

It seems to be well made. I like the fact it can easily be removed with a push of the button. The only complain I have is the latch. At this point I hate it. It seems like a battle sometimes to get it latched. I don't know if I'm not used to it or doing something wrong but to me it seems it could be better. Once latched it latches OK. It's just getting everything just right to get it to latch.

The key is something else that I think is a poor design. The key has to be in the latch if it isn't latched and with the lopsided head it has it always turns on it's own while the lid is up and then you can't latch it until you turn the key to the unlock position. The key also has an ugly red plastic head.

I'm thinking about having it painted to match but undecided. The black does go with the rear fender, muffler & the other plastics that's around the engine.

If someone has any hints or pointers about the latch please speak up! :nerd:
Attachments
case.JPG
case.JPG (127.68 KiB) Viewed 658 times
keys.JPG
keys.JPG (66.82 KiB) Viewed 656 times
case off.JPG
case off.JPG (135.04 KiB) Viewed 656 times
As you can see the latch is spring loaded and springs away when you unlatch. You have to put your hand up inside the latch area and hold it in position for it to latch
As you can see the latch is spring loaded and springs away when you unlatch. You have to put your hand up inside the latch area and hold it in position for it to latch
open.JPG (82 KiB) Viewed 656 times
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

When you are latching it make sure it is completely closed and nothing is blocking the area around the latch.

I like that you can't have it closed and not locked because I would forget to lock it when I needed.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

My tip for the key is to put it in upsidedown. the weight of the rest of the keys will keep it turned horizontal in the open position. Works well for me like that. My latch is also very tight between the case and mounting plate. Its alright thou, it seems to latch very secure and im not worried about it coming loose while riding. Other than that, I cant help ya out.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I have a Givi E350 on my Buddy and absolutly love it! The latch may seem anoying at first but it keeps it solidly closed and rain proof. The added saftey of not being able to lock your key in it is an advantage to me! I installed the brake light kit, but you can still pop the entire thing off as mentioned above.
Attachments
b c.jpg
b c.jpg (83.04 KiB) Viewed 624 times
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

The purpose of the design was to prevent riders from locking their keys inside the case. Love my Givi. Love that it pops off when needed. Great, solid case.
armacham

Post by armacham »

i love my E30! I think it looks so cute on the italia, even being black. There is already so much black plastic on the rear end with the fender and such, that it still pretty much matches