NBR: Kicking it old school ... my second scoot

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Orange Guy

NBR: Kicking it old school ... my second scoot

Post by Orange Guy »

Well, it got me. I love my Buddy so much, I just had to have another scoot. I stuck with red, I stuck with import and I stuck with rebadged.

The major difference this time is 44 years and it doesn't run. Yet.

Plan on picking it up Tuesday ...
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Sweet! Congrats! I am hoping that one day I'll find my own Allstate, old Vespa, Lambretta, etc to tinker with!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronin_000/

"We're just all jealous that you will be able to ride for more than 45 minutes without your butt going numb." - jmazza
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Congrats!

There's a '59 for sale near here that needs some TLC. Oh if I only had the dough… There are actually a bunch of nice vintage scoots for sale around here right now!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

ericalm wrote:There's a '59 for sale near here that needs some TLC. Oh if I only had the dough…
If it is meant to be, you find a way. I am selling off a lot of crap that I have been holding on to for far too long to offset the financial ding.

ericalm wrote:There are actually a bunch of nice vintage scoots for sale around here right now!
Ebay has a ton and I'm hearing a lot of cries that the days of barn finds are over. I got lucky and ended up spending about a grand less than what these seem to be going for.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Orange Guy wrote:
ericalm wrote:There's a '59 for sale near here that needs some TLC. Oh if I only had the dough…
If it is meant to be, you find a way. I am selling off a lot of crap that I have been holding on to for far too long to offset the financial ding.
Yeah, I would have to do that before I get a new scoot. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I want this:

It's a bajaj chetak, but it's a vespa sprint clone, almost 100% the same, sorta like the stella and p being the same.

The paintjob is bad, but I love the color and rust marks, i'll never own it, but if I did, I'd leave the paint that way.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jfrost2 wrote:I want this:
It's a bajaj chetak, but it's a vespa sprint clone, almost 100% the same, sorta like the stella and p being the same.

The paintjob is bad, but I love the color and rust marks, i'll never own it, but if I did, I'd leave the paint that way.
Wonder if they made 'em with a square headlight… because I love the square headlight. Now I have to look for one of those…

It's weird that when they switched to making P-clones, they didn't change the model name.
Scootden

Post by Scootden »

Dude! That's a nice looking Allstate!
Does the engine turn? When was the last time it ran?
Looks like you got a killer deal!
Fix that bad boy up and take it to the vegas rally!

I bought a 1963 Vespa GL about a month ago. It's been way to much fun.
Now that you went vintage you'll be constantly looking for another scoot to buy!
Hell I've thought about selling my buddy to fund another vintage scoot!

Congrats on the killer find!

josh
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Scootden wrote:Dude! That's a nice looking Allstate!
Thanks! I love the color, the lines, especially the campy Allstate badge.
Does the engine turn? When was the last time it ran?
Hasn't been started for about 2 years. That's the extent of what I know, but I'll find out more Tuesday. BTW, I know nothing about these, but have been told the best way to learn is jump in feet first.
Fix that bad boy up and take it to the vegas rally!
Probably too far for me to think about. Who knows?
Now that you went vintage you'll be constantly looking for another scoot to buy! Hell I've thought about selling my buddy to fund another vintage scoot!
I keep hearing that you really only to have to look for one vintage and then the rest find you. Sell my Buddy? No way, I love the reliability.

Orange Guy, Inc.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

ericalm wrote:
jfrost2 wrote:I want this:

Wonder if they made 'em with a square headlight… because I love the square headlight. Now I have to look for one of those…

It's weird that when they switched to making P-clones, they didn't change the model name.
Yea, some sprints were made with square headlights, most have a circle for a headlight. I forget the name of the bike that is similar to the vespa S, but it looks 100% the same as the current vespa S, same horn cast, headlight, similar speedo, It's a rare vespa...cant remember the name, but saw 1 on scoot.net before.

I really like that light blue, light blue isnt my favorite color, but that tone and the peeling paint showing the red is really nice.

EDIT: The exact model copy of that bajaj is a "vespa sprint vlb" one of the common asian restores Californians claim to "rebuild". The VBC, VBB, and VLB are the 3 common models, VBC and VBB are most common I've seen.

That black leg shield trim is really sharp. I wish someone would add a new modern 4 stoke engine into an old vespa, kinda kills it being classic, but I just dont like how modern vespas leg shields are "fat" and thick, they just dont make them sheet metal thin like they used to 30-40+ years ago.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

The Vespa Super Sport 180, GL, and some Sprints had the trapezoid headlights. Some non-US models had them too, maybe the GT and GTR?

Nice Allstate, OG!

The coolest thing about the Bajaj Chetaks of that era was the glovebox, it was huge! I wonder why that one doesn't have one.

Bb
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Just got back from 8 hours of driving through cornfields to pick it up!

The guy I bought it from is an old-engine thing junkie. He had engines all over the place. Told me he drained the gas when he got the scoot 2 years ago and stored it with just a bit of airline fuel in the tank. Smells wonderful in the tank.

Now it goes to the back of the garage while I start reading manuals and books and web sites and such. I want to start it and I want to ride it ... but I want to know how and why it works first.

Orange Guy, Inc.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Welcome to the wonderful world of vintage scoots, Orange Guy. My unsolicited 2 cents worth of advice: spend the money on getting it running first, then go bling on the aesthetics. The mechanics are not difficult and it will be a great feeling of satisfaction when you do ride it the first time. Hey, I fixed this!
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

siobhan wrote:My unsolicited 2 cents worth of advice: spend the money on getting it running first, then go bling on the aesthetics. The mechanics are not difficult and it will be a great feeling of satisfaction when you do ride it the first time. Hey, I fixed this!
That's my plan. Actually, my first order with Scooterworks was for the owners manual, Haynes manual, center stand boots and a new choke knob. The last two aren't really bling ... they just aren't there at all right now. I don't plan on doing a whole lot to this. Polish the paint, get it running and ride it.

Orange Guy, Inc.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Airline fuel? Haha! Awesome. What a great find. Keep us posted on its progress!
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Moved to Gallery at OP's request.
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

wow this is just what i want to do !!!!! I WANT A OLD SCOOT TOO!!!! :cry:
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

polianarchy wrote:Keep us posted on its progress!
We're having some fun trying to figure out what year it really is. It's titled as a 1962, but a lot of the numbers suggest 1961?

On the seat riser is 788.94495: 1961-62
On the package cowl is VA12T: 1963
On the engine is VNB2: 1961 Vespa 125 motor

Here's some shots before/after the Nu Finish Scratch Doctor:

Left: farm-fresh, right: shiny.

My daughter said the stripes had to go. And she called the white seat "gross."

Most proud of getting all the white paint off the fender crest. Might tackle the luggage rack next.

Orange Guy, Inc.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I am so jeaous! I want an allstate... especially a barn find like yours! :)
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Fresh gas and a few extra kicks ... I kind of feel like a cheated.

That's my daughter at the end who got cut off ... "Now that's awesome!"

Orange Guy, Inc.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Airline fuel? Is that JP4 i.e. kerosene or aviation gasoline?
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I second the awesomeness! And the light works! Congrats.