Debluing/Carb Tuning

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Shane Wilson

Debluing/Carb Tuning

Post by Shane Wilson »

Yo Alien!!!

Where did you end up with things on your carb?

I deblued this week and have been driving myself nuts with carb tuning ever since.

I just can't seem to rectify a plug chop with checking the plug in normal operation.

If I get the plug chop to look good, the bike just feels all bogged down and weird and the plug is all sooty when I look at it without chopping.

Any words o' wisdom?
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I am still tuning mine in. I originally got the Sito+/deblued and upjetted to the recommended 55/160 Idle jet, 160 AC, 100 Main jet and BE3 mixer. But I could not get that combo to work for me consistantly.

So, based on recommendations from a local guy, I went back to the stock idle jet and AC, and changed the main to a 102. I am getting pretty decent results with it so far. No bogging or pool idles etc. I plan on putting the idle and AC back on one at a time to see if I can figure out the problem. But, hate to touch it now since it's working nicely once it's warmed up.

It was so wierd too because the first week I had it tuned with the new jets and all it ran nice. Just guzzled gas and was lean.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is "deblueing"?
Shane Wilson

Post by Shane Wilson »

The Stellas come with a blue layer of material on the air filter.

Removing this blue layer (debluing) gives a performance boost since the bike can get air easier.

However, since the bike is getting air easier it will be running lean (not enough fuel) so you have to change out jets and adjust the mixer screw.

Adding a new pipe like Alien did requires even more fuel to be let in.
Shane Wilson

Post by Shane Wilson »

I also went with Bald John's recommended jets at first and it was just bog-down city for me.

I've gone as high as 102 on the main, but it seemed really boggy too.

I'm currently at a 99 and have looked rich when i've pulled the plug.

However, my plug chops look pretty lean.

It's really confusing to me.

i went on a really long ride today with several other stellas and i'm going to get the sito plus this week. then i'll start all over with bald john's advice and see where that gets me.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Shane Wilson wrote:The Stellas come with a blue layer of material on the air filter.

Removing this blue layer (debluing) gives a performance boost since the bike can get air easier.

However, since the bike is getting air easier it will be running lean (not enough fuel) so you have to change out jets and adjust the mixer screw.

Adding a new pipe like Alien did requires even more fuel to be let in.
Thanks! Now I feel like I have secret inside info.
Eazy

Re: Debluing/Carb Tuning

Post by Eazy »

Shane Wilson wrote:Yo Alien!!!

Where did you end up with things on your carb?

I deblued this week and have been driving myself nuts with carb tuning ever since.

I just can't seem to rectify a plug chop with checking the plug in normal operation.

If I get the plug chop to look good, the bike just feels all bogged down and weird and the plug is all sooty when I look at it without chopping.

Any words o' wisdom?
You should probably try riding it in the top of 3rd or 4th and then pull the plug and chop it from there. The jet you're changing is the main jet and your not actually reading it unless your full throttle under load.

That's what I've always done and I've been very successful with it.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Two of the greatest classic mechanical designs still in production are, in my opinion, the Government Model 1911A1 .45 pistol and the Vespa/Stella. Both are strong, reliable and totally functional. And for whatever reason, their owners are obsessively compelled to "improve" them. Get on any 1911 or Stella/Vespa forum and you will see endless examples of people who have made improvements, asking for advice on why their treasures are now doing strange and ugly things. There apparently is no stronger compulsion than the urge to fiddle. Deblueing, rejetting, Sito +, Malossi, etc. - be warned, once you go down this path, there is no turning back!
Shane Wilson

Post by Shane Wilson »

PeterC, you are correct, sir.

Sito+ is on order... :twisted:
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Ya'll have any info on on how much mpg you sacrificed to get "there"?

:)
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I keep rough track of my MPG every fillup and I am averaging 65-85. That depends on how much I get on it vs just casual riding, but I am rarely down at 65.

It also depends a little on the gas I use. Around here it's 100% gas FTW and then the stuff with up to 10% ethanol in it, which tends to drop the MPG a little.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com