Thinking about a buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dubbyd

Thinking about a buddy

Post by dubbyd »

I am looking at purchasing a scooter in the future. I have never owned one. Looking online the nearest dealer according to genuine scooter site is 100 miles away. Now not owning a scooter before, I have some questions. I know there are suggested prices plus extra fees added on. About how much are we looking at total (aprox). Next the dealer that is 100 miles away seems to be not only new at selling buddy's or stella's, but in new in business totally. I am looking at getting one next spring. Which may seem along way off, but here in wisconsin, it could snow anytime. Is it really worth taking the risk of buying a scooter new to the market with a dealer new to selling scooters? I really don't want to spend 5k on a honda or yamaha. Any ideas?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Thinking about a buddy

Post by jrsjr »

dubbyd wrote:I have some questions. I know there are suggested prices plus extra fees added on. About how much are we looking at total (aprox). Next the dealer that is 100 miles away seems to be not only new at selling buddy's or stella's, but in new in business totally. I am looking at getting one next spring. Which may seem along way off, but here in wisconsin, it could snow anytime. Is it really worth taking the risk of buying a scooter new to the market with a dealer new to selling scooters? I really don't want to spend 5k on a honda or yamaha. Any ideas?
How urgently do you want the scooter? If you can wait until next Spring, you might consider doing that as it will solve both of your problems. How? Well, right now Supplies of Buddys are Low and Demand for Buddys is High. Dealers are understandably commanding somewhat higher prices for them right now. I'm hearing 2800 or so up to about 3000 OTD. So, if you don't urgently need it right now. you could wait until next Spring and hope prices come down. Second, by next Spring, your dealer will have been in business a while and whatever bugs there may have been in the startup will have been worked out.

Ah, this all sounds good in theory, doesn't it? Here's the thing. Whatever you do, don't go test ride a Buddy. They are irresistable. I took one on a test ride and I was ready to buy every Buddy my dealer had (one or me, one for the wife, one for my son, and one for my father-in-law). I really had to go cool off before I went slightly nuts. Plus, I didn't want to give the test scooter back, either. It's a good thing I have a terrific dealer who understands these things. :wink: