BYE BYE buddy, HELLO ninja 250 :]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

r0sa

BYE BYE buddy, HELLO ninja 250 :]

Post by r0sa »

as some of you may know, i've been wanting a motorcycle for a month or so now, i just felt that my buddy was just too slow at times =X and not only that, i wanted to be able to ride on the highway...

AND FINALLY! i've made my decision in getting a 2008 kawasaki ninja 250, my bf finally gave in after me begging him and telling him i'll be careful and won't race 8) and so now i just need to get my hands on one, their pretty popular and pretty much sold out at the dealers i've been too

im SOOOO excited, SOOO excited, YIPPEEEEE! :lol:
im still keeping my buddy, just because she was my first baby, and hopefully she won't be jealous :P
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i cant find ANY 2008's

I am on a couple lists for 2009's tho. :twisted:

If I get this new job I might just get a full size (read 600cc) bike.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

0o0oh the need for speed, ey?!?

the bf wants either an R6 or honda CBR but they're quite pricey for a college student LOL
coffeebrown

Post by coffeebrown »

Bought my '09 Ninjna 250 yesterday - picking it up on Saturday.

Candy plasma blue!!!!!!!! VROOM VROOM....................
"A woman is like a teabag; you never know how strong she is until she's in hot water"
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

Search the web for the new Honda DN-01. It's not for sale here in the states yet, but I really like this bike. It has an automatic transmission too.
Attachments
dn-01-2.jpg
dn-01-2.jpg (3.35 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
dn-01-1.jpg
dn-01-1.jpg (2.95 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
Last edited by BigColdMartini on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coffeebrown

Post by coffeebrown »

Just went to the web and checked out that Honda DN-01.

That is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would get one of those in a heartbeat if I could.
"A woman is like a teabag; you never know how strong she is until she's in hot water"
scootermama

Post by scootermama »

MikieTaps wrote:
If I get this new job I might just get a full size (read 600cc) bike.
MikeTaps, how could you possibly spare the time to work along with maintaining your presence and status here on MB?

Don't forget you have US to think about.
Modern Buddy member # 2499
EPSP member # 102
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

hahahah i am currently employed i just take lots of "breaks" at work to check up on you guys make sure everyone is doing ok :D
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

The DN-01 is an appropriately drool worthy bike.

I actually looked long and hard at a Ninja 250. In the end, I think the things that made me go with a scooter were the automatic transmission (most of my driving is stop and go in town) and less available storage for grocery runs. Yes, you can buy tank bags, tail bags, and saddle bags for Ninjas too, but unless you want to leave them on all the time, it makes it that much harder to do a grocery run.

If I ever moved out to the suburbs - where it wouldn't be a 45 min drive just to get out of stoplights and 14 lane freeways I'd probably get one too.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

That Honda DN-1 is nice. I've never liked sport bikes because of their uncomfortable riding position. And the cruiser look is rapidly becoming very passe even though the riding position is really nice. So it makes sense that Honda is introducing a new "sport cruiser" category into the biking world. It think the new category will be a big hit. As usual, Honda had their thinking caps on. Now if only they'd put them on for some new US scooters. I wonder if the DN-1 is why Honda isn't giving the US any scooter love. With it's automatic transmission, perhaps they think US riders will prefer an automatic MC over a scooter since the MC image is so burned into the psyche of Americans.
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

k1dude wrote:With it's automatic transmission, perhaps they think US riders will prefer an automatic MC over a scooter since the MC image is so burned into the psyche of Americans.
That's why I think we need to get the likes of Arnold, Sylvester, and Bruce on scooters.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

BeetleGoose wrote:That's why I think we need to get the likes of Arnold, Sylvester, and Bruce on scooters.
We need a bad-ass scooter hero! The movie could be called Scooter Infidel! I always said it would be really funny when Arnold came out of the biker bar in Terminator, that the only bike in the parking lot should've been a scooter. That would've been hilarious.
HMBscoot

Re: BYE BYE buddy, HELLO ninja 250 :]

Post by HMBscoot »

r0sa wrote:as some of you may know, i've been wanting a motorcycle for a month or so now, i just felt that my buddy was just too slow at times =X and not only that, i wanted to be able to ride on the highway...

AND FINALLY! i've made my decision in getting a 2008 kawasaki ninja 250, my bf finally gave in after me begging him and telling him i'll be careful and won't race 8) and so now i just need to get my hands on one, their pretty popular and pretty much sold out at the dealers i've been too

im SOOOO excited, SOOO excited, YIPPEEEEE! :lol:
im still keeping my buddy, just because she was my first baby, and hopefully she won't be jealous :P
i'm going to go look at and probably take home a nice 06 ex 250 tomorrow :D
MB Member #1832.

2008 buddy 150 Pamplona
2009 Stella 2T "temporarily"
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

The guy Shaun that rode 1,300 miles with me this summer and then 1,300 miles back home by himsefl--sold his Tropez almost immediately.

He is going to buy the same 250cc Ninja.

that guy shaun's thoughts on scooting:
http://www.peacescooter.com/shaun/on-th ... e-scooter/
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

coffeebrown wrote:Bought my '09 Ninjna 250 yesterday - picking it up on Saturday.

WHOOO! congrats!!! if you dont mind me asking, how much did you get it for?
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

You guys are sissy's, i'm getting this
r0sa

Re: BYE BYE buddy, HELLO ninja 250 :]

Post by r0sa »

HMBscoot wrote:i'm going to go look at and probably take home a nice 06 ex 250 tomorrow :D
NIIIICE! post pics please!

that Honda DN-01 is pretty sick, i would have to sit on it and see if my feet will touch the ground, im pretty short or not that tall, being 5 foot 4 and all lol
ScooterTrash

Re: The Real Man's Machine

Post by ScooterTrash »

Portland_Rider wrote:ScooterTrash,

That Aprilia is for sissy's. I'm getting one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Two_ ... duced).jpg

My engine is bigger than your engine!

PR
I hate to tell you this but thats not a bike
:wink:
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

True, but those things get TERRIBLE gas mileage 8)
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Thats why I keep the buddy
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

coffeebrown wrote:Bought my '09 Ninjna 250 yesterday - picking it up on Saturday.

Do you remember when you were too shy to take your scooter from West Philly to Center City? My, how time flies! :wink:

Are you keeping your Black Cat?
ModBud #442
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

This is on my VERY short list:
http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle ... Id=VT750C8

Still trying to decide what color scheme I like best...two-tone Red/White, or solid Black.

750cc.... and BEEE-YOU-TEE-FULLLL!

I promised my wife I'd wait and buy it for Christmas...but I'm going to sit on some this weekend if I don't have to put up shutters and prepare to get pummeled by IKE.

My biggest concern is my lower back, which has a degrading disk (just about my tailbone) from spending 30+ years on a surfboard. When I sit up straight, no pains at all...hunched over, not good. So I need to make sure my hips and back are straight while riding...foot peg position will be key...so I'm going to go and sit on one for about 30 minutes (if they'll let me).

Following weekend, I will be renting a Harley for a day and see how that feels, too. I really don't want to spend more than $7k though...so I'm not that anxious for the Harley, but my buddies insist I ride one before I spend any money.

If I can't get comfy on an MC cruiser, I will buy the Suzuki Bergman 400 or 650. (I just saw one and they are bad-ass, too!).

[/img]
Attachments
Is this wrong?   :)
Is this wrong? :)
MarkJarrod2_small.JPG (121.55 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"
sparty

Post by sparty »

Didn't realize so many people have Buddy and Ninja 250. Here's mine :-) go Green!
Attachments
ninja.JPG
ninja.JPG (38.1 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
coffeebrown

Post by coffeebrown »

rosa: I got my ninja for $4789 OTD ($3999 list)

polianarchy: hahahahaha.........ah yes, I remember those first scary days. I am definitely keeping my Black Cat!!!! The SO can learn to ride now.

The MSF course definitely fueled the desire for a mc. I've wanted one since I was a teenager but once I started scootering and then took the MSF, I was pulled back in to really wanting one so.....

sparty: LOVE the green - it was my first color choice but after realizing that getting a ninja in ANY color was nearly impossible, I decided to take whichever color became available first. I like my Candy Plasma Blue though!! :D
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

My biggest concern is my lower back, which has a degrading disk (just about my tailbone) from spending 30+ years on a surfboard. When I sit up straight, no pains at all...hunched over, not good.
Mark, you know your body best but most riders I know with back issues say the cruiser position (back straight, arms and legs out) hurts them the most. Of course, all back problems are different. I would urge you to spend time seated on each bike you're considering, with hands on the grips and feet on the pegs. Give it some time.

I have very minor back issues and they are aggravated by an upright riding position because my spine winds up taking a vertical pounding as the miles add up. I don't like the crouching sport bike position because it's difficult to see in the city, so I look for sport/standards. These bikes have a relatively upright seating position with relaxed legs. But, your arms are outstretched and your back is arched forward a bit. This also helps aerodynamically at speed. If you're fully upright, you turn into a sail at speeds above 65 or 70.

There are other reasons I don't like cruisers, but that's why there are so many different bikes out there. Hell, I personally think cruisers are an abomination, but whatever gets your juices flowing is what you should go with.

Before you plunk down the cash though, you really owe it to yourself to take a look at the new BMW F-650GS. The 2009 models have the new 2 cylinder 800cc engine. It has the perfect riding position for you and every sort of option (storage, heated grips, ABS, etc) known to man. Fully equipped, it will be out of your price range but it's worth the comparison. Good luck!
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
sparty

Post by sparty »

coffeebrown wrote:rosa: I got my ninja for $4789 OTD ($3999 list)

sparty: LOVE the green - it was my first color choice but after realizing that getting a ninja in ANY color was nearly impossible, I decided to take whichever color became available first. I like my Candy Plasma Blue though!! :D
yikes, I never quite understand why 2009 is $500 more than 2008... I bought mine in May for $4300 OTD with 3-yr extended warranty.

Sadly, the day I got it I dropped it :-). Then few weeks later, I dropped it again, but this time on the other side. now the damage is even. :D

I actually didn't want a lime green one because it's so flashy, but they are so hard to come by so I'm happy that I got it (I only waited one month!!!).
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

Thanks GT 1000...it's a toughie, but the best part is that I have a great Buddy, and nothing is "forcing" me to do anything...so I will take my time, and sit on lots of bikes fot a while.
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Congrats. Susan added an '04 Ninjette to the garage but continues to commute on the Buddy. The best of both worlds, IMHO.

-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
jim_0068

Post by jim_0068 »

kawi rose the msrp on the 2009 to 3999. The 2008 were 3499, not sure why.
Ketty

Post by Ketty »

I bought a Ninja 250 this summer for the same reasons, Buddy can't go on the freeway or on trips or up the canyons around here. I love it, it is black with sparkly purple lightning bolts and it is a great ride. I've found that I prefer the Buddy for grocery trips and whatnot because there is space to store things, where on the bike... nothing.

BUT... Buddy is in the shop waiting (ENDLESSLY WAITING) for a stator, so I put a roll bag on the bike to fill Buddy's role.
Christy

Post by Christy »

my hubby has a ninja and really likes it. Hope you do too!

fyi, I'm going to be in San Antonio this weekend for work...no scooting for me as i'll be at six flags working 12 hour days. :(
EPSP #76
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

working at six flags doing what!?
just curious :wink:
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Rosa and CoffeeBrown... Where are the pics of your new rides?!?!?!?! :D
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

mikietaps, im in the process of getting one! still contemplating whether i should get brand new or used. or an 08 or an 09

????????? so many decisions!! AHHH
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

well hurry up allready! :P
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

Here's the dealer letter from Kawasaki.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forum ... 780&page=5

scroll down about halfway, you'll find the pasted pdf.

Notice - The List on the 250 ninja remains similar, but the MSRP is up. That's a nice little spiff for the dealer, the Ninjette was always a loss-leader around the showroom, tough to get the full MSRP out of them even in the best of times. This makes the bike worth stocking in quantity. Otherwise dealers are gonna work real hard to get you on a 500 or 600.

If your dealer doesn't have an '08 currently in their showroom, they aren't going to. Read the letter. The best they can do now is hold out for the '09s. Our mega-cycle-store just got their "bonus" '09. It's definitely NOT fuel injected. He's got about 25 back-orders for lil' Ninjas and we comiserate about the Buddy Boom of '08 and Ninja-Palooza '08.

We tried to go for a test ride on one the other day and the nearest unit we could find available for testing was over 180 miles away.

If you've never owned a Ninjette before, grab an older one and live with the high revs and 5 speed transmission and don't pay more than $1500. Wait a few years and then get a fuel injected model at Retail or less for one that's a year old. This bike is NOT everyones cup o' tea, and it has a great reputation as a gateway drug...so most owners will buy a bigger, faster bike within a year. I've sold a bunch of these lil' ninjas and they're an absolute blast, even the '86 model with the more "euro" styling was an excellent bike for the city and the occasional 10,000 rpm blast on the highway. Don't fear the revs, Just change the oil frequently and wear earplugs.
Attachments
ninja.jpg
ninja.jpg (98.62 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
moment21

Ninja 650R

Post by moment21 »

If freeway riding is what you guys are after, then the baby ninja may not cut it. Sure it will still do the job but have your engine rev at 8000 rpm+ with high pitching noise isn't that comforting at 70+ mph.

I had both a 07 buddy 125 (now my wife's) and a 05 ninja 250 but quickly learn that the ninja is a little under powered on the highway. I now rides a 06 ninja 650r, which you all check out. Nice power/look + comfy upright sitting position. This isn't my bike but mine is very similar.

I have to say that ninja 250 is still a great bike to start with. Still very different from riding a scooter!!!!! Wouldn't be very confident on the 650r without the ex250 first. :-)
Attachments
146_0606_03_s+2006_kawasaki_ninja_650r+silver_nature.jpg
146_0606_03_s+2006_kawasaki_ninja_650r+silver_nature.jpg (3.85 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

I dunno. At first I wouldn't take the Ninjette over an indicated 65. Then I would run it at 70. Now I commute (Susan takes her Buddy and the Ninjette gets over 60 MPG) effortlessly on it at (indicated) 70+.
Two weeks ago, I rode it to the Boring Rally in Duluth. Took a mixture of two lane, gravel roads and Interstate. On the slab, it actually smoothed out at around 80 MPH. Just don't look at the tach and you'll be fine. Red line is 13 grand anyway, so pulling 9000+ RPM's is no big deal. Remember to check the oil frequently when running for extended speeds.--that motor only holds about two liters.

This is the bestest Ninjette forum that I've found so far: http://forums.ninja250.org/
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
sparty

Post by sparty »

The FAQ section on ninja250.org is really good, and the forum has pretty good traffic, but I just can't stand their default forum format... it's amazing hardly to read (for me).

The 250 site I regularly visit is http://www.kawiforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32 Tons of mod information there. There's even a bike with under the tail exhaust! :shock: Crazy folks... I am keeping mine stock (with wheel tapes).
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

pocphil: thanks for the lil advice post up there

i feel that since im a girl, i dont think im going to get tired of the ninja 250, i dont think im the type of person that has a need for speed, well, just a lil, i wanted to get my hands on a new 08 ninja, but the dealers i've been to, are all out. i don't know if it's wise to splurge an extra $500 or so on an '09 one. does anybody know the difference between an 08 and 09?
Christy

Post by Christy »

i work for ford as a product specialist and we're doing a demonstration of the new Sync system...the tour I'm on is almost over actually. we've only got like 8 more weeks (started in the spring).
EPSP #76