Ouch!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tikka Masala

Ouch!!

Post by Tikka Masala »

Looks to be POC's from the Pittsburgh Rally on Scoot.net.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Yeah, but it sure looked like somebody was enjoying it before that happened. (Also from the Pittsburg rally pix on Scoot.net) If it was a new Vespa it'd be totalled. As it is, I bet Phil will replace some relatively inexpensive plastic and life will go on.
LDB

Post by LDB »

Somebody must have misread the sign and thought it said all scooters will be crushed.
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

What in the world happened?
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
Tikka Masala

Post by Tikka Masala »

I'm not sure what happened. I was looking further at the rally pics and could not find any showing what happened. Was anyone on here at the PVSC camping rally?
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"
ellen

Post by ellen »

Might have been caused by one of the vintage guys who don't know how to ride a scooter with real brakes. :nerd:
jess

Post by jess »

ellen wrote:Might have been caused by one of the vintage guys who don't know how to ride a scooter with real brakes. :nerd:
Oh, smack! :rofl:
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

It was being test ridden by Penny from Chicago and she was done in by the all-to-good brakes on wet grass.

6, that's right six body panels were damaged, including the headset.

Here's the good news:

I had my replacement parts in LESS than 3 days,

The total cost was MUCH less than I had anticipated,

All parts were pre-painted and ready to go,

Total time to remove and replace ALL the damaged bodywork was under 2 hours, and that's by my novice apprentice.

The scooter runs perfectly and I defy anyone to detect it was ever in a collision.

Had this been a Vespa, Bajaj or other Steel bodied scooter it would still be at the body shop being hammered on, and the cost of the paint alone would be more than I just paid for the entire job.

Say what you will about plastic, when you screw up, it's your best friend.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

pocphil wrote: Had this been a Vespa, Bajaj or other Steel bodied scooter it would still be at the body shop being hammered on, and the cost of the paint alone would be more than I just paid for the entire job.

Good point - never thought about it this way, but an actual benefit of the 'plastic' twist-n-go.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

One Word - Plastics!

Post by jrsjr »

mlstephens wrote:
pocphil wrote: Had this been a Vespa, Bajaj or other Steel bodied scooter it would still be at the body shop being hammered on, and the cost of the paint alone would be more than I just paid for the entire job.

Good point - never thought about it this way, but an actual benefit of the 'plastic' twist-n-go.
Yep, the dirty little secret of the Vespa world is out. It's frighteningly easy to total a Vespa because the Vespa's strength, it's steel monocoque body, is also it's weakness. If a Vespa gets hit a certain way and it bends in the wrong place or, if it creases, then it's all over for the scooter, it's totalled. With the Buddy, you replace some plastic and you're golden. Plus (and I've now heard this in two different cases), the Buddy's plastic is cheap and available.