Vote for next week's Scavenger Hunt

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

What should next week's scavenger hunt topic be?

Photo with your state's _________ (fish, tree, bird, etc)
11%
Photo with your scooter & motorcycles (more cycles, more points)
11%
Photo with a "Welcome to ______" city - town sign - points for each letter in town name
78%

Total votes: 37

ScootLemont

Vote for next week's Scavenger Hunt

Post by ScootLemont »

Ok Scavenger Hunters - YOU tell ME what you want to do next week!
all 3 of these have been suggested by people in our hunt

And there is not point in trying to get a head start becasue I will add a special item that must be in the pic so I know it was not taken before Friday.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

State Animal - Grizzly Bear, yeah that should go well :D

I vote for Welcome Sign pics.....
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

yeah... & Florida is the panther.... Krusty would have fun with that
But I would like to see sailortot with a Bison
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

ScootLemont wrote:
Oh, SL -- don't even go there! There's a whole herd of them on a preserve about an hour drive from her home . . . :P

I like the motorcycle option. I'd LOVE to show you a pic of my darlin' Dorothy with the local chapter of the Mongols!
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Geez....well, all of these will favor some people over others. Those in big cities can get scads of points hooking up with their local cycle clubs. Those who are lucky enough to live in San Francisco rather than Ames, IA have a big advantage. And how the hell do you get a picture with the state bird....ask him to fly over and sit beside you while you take his picture? Oh well....let's see what the group picks. :lol:
sotied

Post by sotied »

I'm biased because one of these was my idea...but I think they're all going to be challenging.

First off, how am I going to prove to you that the Massachusetts state bird is the Liberal?

The scooter/motocycle thing favors those who are active in groups (we have a local scooter group that meets at a cafe in the city. But we hardly ever get more than 461 scoots to show up.

And city names on signs. I'm gonna start driving to Minneapolis right now. Should get there by next Wednesday or Thursday.

Jeff
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

sotied wrote:First off, how am I going to prove to you that the Massachusetts state bird is the Liberal?
Dress up like Big Bird and pretend to drive a Prius with an Obama sticker on the back window?
sotied

Post by sotied »

siobhan wrote:
sotied wrote:First off, how am I going to prove to you that the Massachusetts state bird is the Liberal?
Dress up like Big Bird and pretend to drive a Prius with an Obama sticker on the back window?
Or don't drive it. Just park on Beacon Hill or in Harvard Square.

:)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

sotied wrote: The scooter/motocycle thing favors those who are active in groups (we have a local scooter group that meets at a cafe in the city. But we hardly ever get more than 461 scoots to show up.
its your scooter with motorcycles - not other scoots
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

OScoot! wrote:Geez....well, all of these will favor some people over others. Those in big cities can get scads of points hooking up with their local cycle clubs.
I dont know... I live in a small town (10,000 people) but some of the bars seem to be stopping places for the harley crowd - on a weekend, I sometimes see groups of 10 or 15 Harleys parked downtown.
but it looks like a mut point anyway...
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Ok, so I'm starting my research for next week's hunt (yes yes, I'll get this week's pic in later today...it's been difficult to find a photographer), and now I know why Massachusetts-based sotied suggested this topic:
Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, Webster, Massachusetts - Wow, now that's a mouthful and we couldn't resist doing a little research on this..."Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg" is the longest place name in the United States and 6th longest in the world.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

can't we eventually do all of them? Are we voting on order or are the ones that get the least votes gonna get canned? I say bring 'em all on! :twisted:
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

As usual, I think KRUSTYburger has a great idea. Yes, let's! :D
ModBud #442
sotied

Post by sotied »

siobhan wrote:Ok, so I'm starting my research for next week's hunt (yes yes, I'll get this week's pic in later today...it's been difficult to find a photographer), and now I know why Massachusetts-based sotied suggested this topic:
Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, Webster, Massachusetts - Wow, now that's a mouthful and we couldn't resist doing a little research on this..."Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg" is the longest place name in the United States and 6th longest in the world.
I'm not going all the way to Webster. That's forever. And it's probably going to have to be a town or city. If it's a landmark then it puts us all back on even footing.

e.g. Rhode Island State House Bureau of Buddy Cianci's Construction and Welfare Kickbacks - Hope Valley Annex.

OK. I made that up, but if we're talking lakes and stuff, there are many places with long names. Even people in NH have the Kankamangus Scenic Highway.

AND Earl Lamont will likely force us to carry something with us like a dictionary or a map of the area or even a gopher. So going too far with those things might be a challenge.

*off to look up where Webster is in relation to Hingham*
sotied

Post by sotied »

polianarchy wrote:As usual, I think KRUSTYburger has a great idea. Yes, let's! :D
+2

I just hope it's the state creature or plant last. That's gonna be the tough one for me.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Or we could just turn all three loose for this week ... 3 pics, points for each.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

There are other things besides state animal and flower... state tree, state flag, state food/produce, state quarter, state map, state sports team stuff, etc. I actually PMed ScootLemont with this very same idea at the same time he posted the poll. But I was thinking just get a photo of your scoot & the state flag and all the other stuff would be bonus. I like the other 2 ideas too... all three together might be a bit much. I'd be willing to give it a shot though! :wink:
sotied

Post by sotied »

I beg that all three is too much.

Look at this week's golf course photo. We're only at two pages and it's Thursday.

And I'm saying this as one of the few people who works from home and can take a full day off to go get photos on my scooter.

I just don't think three in one week is fair to people whose days off might only be S and S.

My $.04.

Jeff
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Ooops .... didn't mean you had to do all three. Submitting one would be cool, but for the overachievers, they could shoot for all three. So points for each one and add the points if you get a second or third.

But yeah, it might be too much.

I like Krusty's idea with all the state stuff. It'll force me to learn a bit about my state. :D
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
sotied

Post by sotied »

Orange Guy wrote:Ooops .... didn't mean you had to do all three. Submitting one would be cool, but for the overachievers, they could shoot for all three. So points for each one and add the points if you get a second or third.

But yeah, it might be too much.

I like Krusty's idea with all the state stuff. It'll force me to learn a bit about my state. :D
Quad cities USA?

It's obvious. You live in the fourth state. The state shape is the quadrilateral. The state game is four-square. Lincoln created his famous four score speech in your state. Hearts are broken near you as many people there are forlorn.

What else do you need to know?
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Yeah but is Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg a city or town?

siobhan wrote:Ok, so I'm starting my research for next week's hunt (yes yes, I'll get this week's pic in later today...it's been difficult to find a photographer), and now I know why Massachusetts-based sotied suggested this topic:
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

We might do them all... there are 4 weeks left (before I turn this over to the next "hunt master")
But if any of these show up... there will be special "things" to prevent people from using a photo taken before it was posted

I just wanted to give everyone a chance to help pic tomorrow's hunt - last week we were down players - some thought it was too hard & some too easy - I figured I would let everyone vote this week & get things back on track.

KRUSTYburger wrote:can't we eventually do all of them? Are we voting on order or are the ones that get the least votes gonna get canned? I say bring 'em all on! :twisted:
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

They are all good ideas. :) Let's do the "State thing" since California's State mineral is gold. I'm sure I can find that somewhere...

And those lucky people who live in Nebraska would have a real easy time of this. I never knew that states had state drinks, cookies, and soil!!

Looking forward to this Friday's adventure.

PasadenaSue
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I would hate to burn up 3 subjects in just one week - I am hoping this keeps going all year! (i do realize, that many of us put them away for the winter, like me, but I would enjoy watching the others play in November - Feb.)
So, like I said, I would hate to use all 3 subjects in one week.
Orange Guy wrote:Or we could just turn all three loose for this week ... 3 pics, points for each.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

There are a lot of state "things" & if we do this one, we will have quite a list of items.
Howardr PM'd the idea to me a while ago & after I got it again from Krusty, I figured it would be good - but wasnt sure - so I did this pole right after I PM'd her back.
I was a little gun shy about hunt subjects after the beach / lake / river thing didnt go over so well.

KRUSTYburger wrote:There are other things besides state animal and flower... state tree, state flag, state food/produce, state quarter, state map, state sports team stuff, etc. I actually PMed ScootLemont with this very same idea at the same time he posted the poll. But I was thinking just get a photo of your scoot & the state flag and all the other stuff would be bonus. I like the other 2 ideas too... all three together might be a bit much. I'd be willing to give it a shot though! :wink:
sotied

Post by sotied »

Let's just do them in order of the votes they got.

Democratic. Easy. And we get to do all of them.

And the long word is a Lake. Not a city or town so I don't get to use it.

And the longest city or town name has three hyphens in the name (really, they're IN the official name). Do they count as points?

Just wanna make sure before I trek a couple hours to get there sometime this week.

Thanks,

Jeff
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

If it is the name of ONE city or town & it has a hyphen, I dont see a problem with it - feel free to PM it to me before you make the trip if you want a "ruling"
sotied wrote: And the longest city or town name has three hyphens in the name (really, they're IN the official name). Do they count as points?
Just wanna make sure before I trek a couple hours to get there sometime this week.
Thanks,
Jeff
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Anyone found a good website that has lists of all the stuff for each state? I know a few of the things like flower/bird/tree, but some of the more obscure stuff I'd like to look up. Anyways, looking forward to all of these topics!

Safe scooting! :mrgreen:
brape

Post by brape »

sotied wrote:Let's just do them in order of the votes they got.

Democratic. Easy. And we get to do all of them.

And the long word is a Lake. Not a city or town so I don't get to use it.

And the longest city or town name has three hyphens in the name (really, they're IN the official name). Do they count as points?

Thanks,

Jeff
I think you where planning on going to the same town I was thinking of... tho it would be one hell of a road trip for me :) How are you going to deal with north/south/west/east whatevertown. We have lots of those here and they are legitimate separate towns from each other.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Anyone found a good website that has lists of all the stuff for each state?
www.statesymbolsusa.org

Orange Guy, Inc.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

brape wrote:
I think you where planning on going to the same town I was thinking of... tho it would be one hell of a road trip for me :) How are you going to deal with north/south/west/east whatevertown. We have lots of those here and they are legitimate separate towns from each other.
This is the one I suggested to ScootLemont.
He slightly modified the idea by going with a point per letter. My idea was a point per 50K of population in that city. Extra points for "Welcome to a state". My thinking was that I wanted to see a video with scoots by signs for Chicago, Cleveland, LA, Miami.... y'know BIG cities. Not North Olmsted, Fairview Park, Cuyahohga Falls.

That's why I suggested population, Scoot. Yea, it might not be fair to someone living in a very rural area, but HEY life isn't fair. ;) I was thinking of a good video, not a point stack competition. (Spoken by the guy with like 8 points ;) )
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
brape

Post by brape »

7eregrine wrote:
brape wrote:
This is the one I suggested to ScootLemont.
He slightly modified the idea by going with a point per letter. My idea was a point per 50K of population in that city. Extra points for "Welcome to a state". My thinking was that I wanted to see a video with scoots by signs for Chicago, Cleveland, LA, Miami.... y'know BIG cities. Not North Olmsted, Fairview Park, Cuyahohga Falls.

That's why I suggested population, Scoot. Yea, it might not be fair to someone living in a very rural area, but HEY life isn't fair. ;) I was thinking of a good video, not a point stack competition. (Spoken by the guy with like 8 points ;) )
I was wondering if he was going to do something like 1 point for up to 5 letters 2 for over ten ect. We shall see what he comes up with for rules.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

AWESOME idea for BONUS POINTS just came to me.

If your "Welcome to -city-" is one of the cities mentioned in the Johnny Cash tune "I've Been Everywhere...." +10 points.

;)
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
sotied

Post by sotied »

Yes, I was hoping to use all the hyphens and letters in.....

Manchester-by-the-sea Massachusetts

But hyphens are OUT.

I guess I'll have to go with Orange Massachusetts to match my Buddy or maybe Intercourse Pennsylvania.

Jeff
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

So we can include the state name too if it's on the sign or no? Isn't it time to post this weeks topic yet? I got a hankerin' for some hunterin'!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

KRUSTYburger wrote:So we can include the state name too if it's on the sign or no? Isn't it time to post this weeks topic yet? I got a hankerin' for some hunterin'!
just to follow up - no state names
doc_holijay

Post by doc_holijay »

OKBubbles wrote:
ScootLemont wrote:
Oh, SL -- don't even go there! There's a whole herd of them on a preserve about an hour drive from her home . . . :P

I like the motorcycle option. I'd LOVE to show you a pic of my darlin' Dorothy with the local chapter of the Mongols!
EDIT: this is SAILORTOT. forgot i was signed in on my husbands screen name.

this is VERY funny to me....as i just now read this thread for the first time.

funny i ended up riding to that wildlife preserve to get a photo with a bison. and i was debating it, too. trying to get stuffed dead animals from anyone i know. i didnt even know about that preserve (since im from sw okla) until i searched online the week of the hunt.