Picked up my black buddy today

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

johnny_buddha

Picked up my black buddy today

Post by johnny_buddha »

Hey all,
Picked it up this afternoon. Went back to work and needless to say, couldn't get much work done afterwards. Had 3 co-workers ride it and they were all smiling when they got off. 2 of them have 50cc scooters and they were very impressed. I live in Seattle and it hasn't rained here for a while and of course it rained a little today but stopped by the time I was ready to head home. Rode the new toy home and didn't bother stopping when I got to my condo, kept going for another 15 miles.

So far, I'm very happy with the purchase. I have a 5 mile commute each way through city roads. Plan to get rain gear to use the Buddy for most of the year. The scoot handles well. Good acceleration...i would catch myself going 45 in a 30 in no time and would have to start coasting. This break-in period is gonna be tough. How many miles before you can start opening it up?

Purchased from Ducati Seattle and had a good experience. Nice guys there. They're all out at the moment and have more people waiting for the new shipments. High demand out here.

One minor thing, my car seat won't pop open when I turn the key counter-clockwise. I have to turn the key and then use my other hand to pull the seat up. The dealer is ordering a new part for this.

Btw, bought this Kryptonite disc lock from the dealer and it wouldn't fit on the disc. Perhaps it's user error but I'm taking it back to the dealer and seeing if I can get a replacement. I also bought a cable lock as the Buddy is parked in my carport.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetisscr ... em&pgrp=20
RabidChild

Post by RabidChild »

Right on, Congrats on your purchace. Hope to see you out on the streets. I'm on my black buddy mostly on the east side (live in Kirkland, work in Bellevue) but I've been going over to Seattle on the weekends. The ride up through Juanita and around 522 is pretty nice. I'm avoiding 520 for the time being.
johnny_buddha

Post by johnny_buddha »

Thanks RabidChild.

Yeah, no way i would go on 520. it's jammed packed all the time anyways. Don't plan on riding Aurora that often either. that bridge can get pretty gusty up there.

See ya on the road. The weather is awesome out today.
lillute

Post by lillute »

I'm happy to see people on here from the Seattle area. I'm actually going to go look at a Buddy at Ducati Seattle tomorrow morning. Apparently they have a few pink ones in stock, but I'm waiting for a cream which should be arriving in a couple weeks.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Happy to hear about the fun you're having on the Buddy. The seat not opening is a major problem for most of us. No one has offered to look into the problem so if yours does get fixed you'll have to let us know. There's an entire Topic on the seat subject somewhere on this site you'll have to check out.
RabidChild

Post by RabidChild »

johnny_buddha wrote:Thanks RabidChild.

Yeah, no way i would go on 520. it's jammed packed all the time anyways. Don't plan on riding Aurora that often either. that bridge can get pretty gusty up there.

See ya on the road. The weather is awesome out today.
The only two spots I've felt a little shaky; the Ballard bridge (steel grate), and the Aurora Bridge. It was very gusty when I went over so I don't think I'll be doing that again any time soon. The steel grates are fine, but it can make you a little nervous the first time.
johnny_buddha

Post by johnny_buddha »

I cross the fremont bridge and it's not too bad. The traffic there is busy due to the construction but I gotta get across the water somehow. My coworker said the University bridge's grates are worse meaning you'll sway more.

I'll report back on the seat issue when mine's hopefully fixed. I'm stuck at work today but i'm sure i'll get a few miles in today.