The world will end today.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

k1dude

The world will end today.

Post by k1dude »

jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

It's ok Switzerland already got swallowed by a black hole, we're across the world, we dont gotta worry about this stuff until tonight or tomorrow morning. Just put it off, black hole aint gonna hurt you!

In all seriousness. The project that took 14 years to build is a fail. 600 million particals collisions per second is too weak to form anything dangerous at all, mother nature collides particals at a rate so much higher no black holes have ever formed on the earth.

Was watching fox news this morning and they were talking about how it isnt working, they showed a animation of what would happen if it did work, europe got sucked into a hole and you could see the earth's core.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

They said the same thing when they brought the collider online at Brookhaven National Lab on Long Island...guess what, Lawn Guyland is still there!

To smooth public relations they opened the collider to the public and I got to go in and see everything. It was very, very, very cool. I remember pulling into the parking lot and there was not one, but two, Honda Insights parked. I got a soft spot for physicists.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Why do they call it a Collider? Why not a Bumperintoer? :D

So, we really won't know if it is going to make blackholes until they use it for something beyond todays powerup and testing, right?

And will Disney sue them for the name Blackhole?
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

jfrost2 wrote: Was watching fox news this morning and they were talking about how it isnt working, they showed a animation of what would happen if it did work, europe got sucked into a hole and you could see the earth's core.
Fair and balanced.
docutech

Post by docutech »

Interesting, despite the fact that I have NO idea what they are talking about.

I am going for a ride... 8)
JNV

Black Hole

Post by JNV »

I am posting this from inside a black hole. Is anyone getting this? Is there anyone out there?
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

If you were indeed posting from a blackhole as you say, the time and light distortion would cause your post to not appear as it does. I think you are just posting from a small super nova star cluster. Show off. :D
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
ScootingInTheRain

I wonder what particles would be discovered if alienmeatsack and MikieTaps collided head-on at 299,792,458 m/s (indicated)?

Do zombies feed on dark matter?
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Mostly a lot of hot air? :D
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

As one of my engineering profs said, "Technology is a constant battle between Scientists coming up with worthless knowledge, and engineers making that worthless knowledge into useful things".

I say more power to them - who knows what sorts of cool stuff they might come up with from smashing protons into one another really really fast, and then what sorts of things the engineers build off of it.
bunny

Post by bunny »

It's just more bigger toys for more bigger smarter boys.

I work with engineers all day long. My dad was an engineer.

hm. I just realized that explains a LOT about me.

I will leave you to your ruminations of black holes and supernovas.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

It's only just been fired up. It will take 30 days for it to be fully functional and colliding. So we have 30 days til the end times... ;)
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

ScootingInTheRain wrote:I wonder what particles would be discovered if alienmeatsack and MikieTaps collided head-on at 299,792,458 m/s (indicated)?
wouldn't that be scooterdave?
MMMMMMMMMMMMM
ScootingInTheRain

emoboy44 wrote:
ScootingInTheRain wrote:I wonder what particles would be discovered if alienmeatsack and MikieTaps collided head-on at 299,792,458 m/s (indicated)?
Didn't want to start anything unnecessary, but that's what I was originally thinking...

;)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScootingInTheRain wrote:
jfrost2 wrote: Was watching fox news this morning and they were talking about how it isnt working, they showed a animation of what would happen if it did work, europe got sucked into a hole and you could see the earth's core.
Fair and balanced.
Many Fox viewers applauded, thinking that having Europe sucked into a black hole would be a good thing.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScootingInTheRain

ericalm wrote:
ScootingInTheRain wrote:
Fair and balanced.
Many Fox viewers applauded, thinking that having Europe sucked into a black hole would be a good thing.
I imagine they had that graphic prepared well in advance, and finally had a chance to use it.
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

7eregrine wrote:It's only just been fired up. It will take 30 days for it to be fully functional and colliding. So we have 30 days til the end times... ;)
Exactly.

The problem is that scientists never say "that's impossible". So when someone asked them if it was possible that the Large Hadron Collider could destroy the world, they said "well yeah, it's possible, but incredibly unlikely..." to which some people responded with "DOOM! DOOM! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!"

The truth is that the speeds they're going to hit already happen every day in the upper atmosphere when fast-moving cosmic particles plow into us, with no ill effects. The Large Hadron Collider isn't going to destroy the Earth, or even destroy Europe. Anyone telling you otherwise is either not informed yet about the project, or is informed and is just anti-science for some reason.

My personal hope is that they build a slightly bigger Collider soon. They can then use it to accelerate two Buddies to near-light speed and collide them, hopefully producing the elusive "Dark Buddy", which is a 5cc, 80mph, 300mpg scooter that folds up to fit in your pocket. :P
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

Scalpel wrote:
7eregrine wrote:It's only just been fired up. It will take 30 days for it to be fully functional and colliding. So we have 30 days til the end times... ;)
Exactly.

The problem is that scientists never say "that's impossible". So when someone asked them if it was possible that the Large Hadron Collider could destroy the world, they said "well yeah, it's possible, but incredibly unlikely..." to which some people responded with "DOOM! DOOM! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!"

The truth is that the speeds they're going to hit already happen every day in the upper atmosphere when fast-moving cosmic particles plow into us, with no ill effects. The Large Hadron Collider isn't going to destroy the Earth, or even destroy Europe. Anyone telling you otherwise is either not informed yet about the project, or is informed and is just anti-science for some reason.

My personal hope is that they build a slightly bigger Collider soon. They can then use it to accelerate two Buddies to near-light speed and collide them, hopefully producing the elusive "Dark Buddy", which is a 5cc, 80mph, 300mpg scooter that folds up to fit in your pocket. :P
:rofl:
MMMMMMMMMMMMM
Ken82

Post by Ken82 »

im baffled both by how uninformed the participants in this thread seem to be...and what you're judging as a "failure"...apparently some people aren't seeing every side of the cube here..
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

The only thing it has failed at so far is blowing up the world, and I think I'm OK with that sort of fail :P
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

EPIC FAIL.

:P
Jake

Post by Jake »

ScootingInTheRain wrote:
Fair and balanced.
Hahaha! Man, I wish Fox news would get sucked into a black hole. And Bill O'Rielly. Brown holes seem more like his type of thing though (heh).
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Jake wrote: Brown holes seem more like his type of thing though (heh).
eww :bleh:
Jake

Post by Jake »

MikieTaps wrote:
Jake wrote: Brown holes seem more like his type of thing though (heh).
eww :bleh:
That's what he gets.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Re: Black Hole

Post by BuddyRaton »

JNV wrote:I am posting this from inside a black hole. Is anyone getting this? Is there anyone out there?

WHAT?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Scooter Hoot wrote:As one of my engineering profs said, "Technology is a constant battle between Scientists coming up with worthless knowledge, and engineers making that worthless knowledge into useful things".

I say more power to them - who knows what sorts of cool stuff they might come up with from smashing protons into one another really really fast, and then what sorts of things the engineers build off of it.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

As a professional scientist I do have to say that I am amazed at howmany people know more about what I do than I do!

Well...at least they think they do! :goofy:
www.teamscootertrash.com

UXO

Post by UXO »

emoboy44 wrote:
Thats a little harsh...

Maybe it would result in MikietapsSomealienmeatsack
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

jfrost2 wrote:It's ok Switzerland already got swallowed by a black hole, we're across the world, we dont gotta worry about this stuff until tonight or tomorrow morning. Just put it off, black hole aint gonna hurt you!

In all seriousness. The project that took 14 years to build is a fail. 600 million particals collisions per second is too weak to form anything dangerous at all, mother nature collides particals at a rate so much higher no black holes have ever formed on the earth.

Was watching fox news this morning and they were talking about how it isnt working, they showed a animation of what would happen if it did work, europe got sucked into a hole and you could see the earth's core.
We'll have to wait like 90 days or something before they actually bang two atoms together. They are just running them around the track right now making sure everything works well.

The scientists on the Trinity project figured there was about a 50/50 chance that when they detonated the first atomic bomb the chain reaction would extend to the atmosphere and set it on fire, thus ending all life on earth.

Now, that's a chance you might take in wartime, but today? Just kidding.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i like what google has

jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

So that's why it wasnt working all day. Google HQ has been sucked into the black hole! It's hit the US, we're screwed.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I did read that they are just going to duplicate Fermilabs stuff to see if it working properly before creating anything new. Isn't a Bosun some kind of sailor?
old and in the way

Post by old and in the way »

Reminds me of the old days back in the 60's when Fermi Ins. built first collider in Weston,Ill.[sub. of Chicago] .Gov. scienciests removed all fences in town and used bikes &scooters to comute between offices[houses]. No need for any thing above ground so planted prerrie grass and got a heard of buffalo to keep things trimed!!!Everyone planted commuinal vegg. gardens and painted poka dots on pink gov. jeep!!!! No one was hurt and did start eceo. movement in the area. God,I love buffalo!!! :D old an in the gray :wink:
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
Ken82

Post by Ken82 »

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/ ... 008.09.07/

here these guys are always interesting...
louie

Post by louie »

maybe this will help explain it. it's supposed to be spot on if you can follow along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM
sradwick

Post by sradwick »

Jake wrote:
ScootingInTheRain wrote:
Fair and balanced.
Hahaha! Man, I wish Fox news would get sucked into a black hole. And Bill O'Rielly. Brown holes seem more like his type of thing though (heh).
Sorry, they are shielded from black holes since they are the ratings topper in just about every news category :D
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I want to ride my scooter inside that 17 mile tubular track!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

k1dude wrote:I want to ride my scooter inside that 17 mile tubular track!
There's an abandoned supercollider tunnel in North Texas. Wanna buy it and turn it into a scooter park?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Jake

Post by Jake »

sradwick wrote:
Jake wrote:
ScootingInTheRain wrote: Fair and balanced.
Sorry, they are shielded from black holes since they are the ratings topper in just about every news category :D
Yup. I guess most of the US would rather watch 'news entertainment' than actual news.
A black hole...sucking Europe in...and exposing the Earth's core. Great job, Fox. Light can't escape a black hole (theoretically), but only Europe fits inside one.
And Bill O'Rielly's racism kind of cuts into that 'fair and balanced' slogan.
But hey, their ratings are good!
Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin »

ScootingInTheRain wrote:
Fair and balanced.
I like that you see the humor in this lol

On another note, the real world implementation of particle accelerators is in unmeasurable medical, technological, and scientific advancements. We cannot begin to imagine what we will learn in the coming years from CERN...
Scooting is ZEN....
bunny

Post by bunny »

ericalm wrote:
k1dude wrote:I want to ride my scooter inside that 17 mile tubular track!
There's an abandoned supercollider tunnel in North Texas. Wanna buy it and turn it into a scooter park?
Someone already came up with that...it got voted down. Some skater group wanted it. I personally thought it was a GREAT idea, but apparently my fellow Texans aren't near as enlightened as I am about these things...
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.