How Bikes get Taken and how to prevent it.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tunseeker1

How Bikes get Taken and how to prevent it.

Post by tunseeker1 »

OK after reading a bit about people concerned with people taking your scooter I thought I might post a few thoughts by someone that used to repo cars for a living.

First. Most things are taken very easily. People leave things unlocked and out in the open for an opportunist to take. The majority of things taken from the owner fall into this category.

Second. The majority of things taken from their owners are taken by casual thieves. I understand that this doesn't help when you get something stolen but it is the truth. A true professional thief won't normally target something easily traceable.

Third. It doesn't take much to deter theft.

I know that those seem really easy to understand but most people don't.

Most people when walking down the street will pick up a dollar from the ground and not think twice about it. If you saw someone drop it then many would stop them and return it. If there is no one around then they might just keep it.

It is the same with a scooter. There are some people that when seeing a scooter on the street will look around for the owner then take it on a joyride or move it around to mess with you.

The way you can eliminate the casual person that wants to take your bike for a ride is to show them that the owner is watching. This could mean a disk alarm, a chain around it, or a normal alarm. This should deter the person walking down the street that takes the opportunity to get a scooter for a joy ride.

The next category of people are the ones who go out in the morning and make a decision to steal something today. They will then get prepared for a day of stealin. They will have a truck,van or trailer and the tools to defeat most things you can do for your security, but are still lazy.

We had a ring of car thieves targeting the parking lots around where I work. The made a living just stealing cars and bikes. In the parking lot of 15 or so bikes they took the one bike that had no type of security and left the others. They showed up with a stolen cargo van with a trailer. The ended up leaving the van and taking one Harley and a caddy truck.

These were professionals and they had the tools to cut cables and the like but still took the easy way out. Moral of the story is make the other bikes look easier to take.

This group of people will just drive around till they find a minimum risk situation to steal something. If you are in a crowded parking lot and your bike has a disk alarm it might be just enough to deter a low level professional. A chain or cable to something solid it nice but not if the person trying to steal it can't see it.
So if you have a disk lock then get a minder for it that's a bright color. If you have a chain or cable do the same thing. Draw attention to your security devices it might save your bike.

The last group of people are the hardcore folks. These are the guys that will get what they want no matter what. There is no way to stop them. They will get into a garage and cut down the main support to your house to steal something. The only way to avoid them is to never go anywhere on the scoot and don't let anyone know you have it. If someone in this group targets you make sure you have good insurance.

I figure that this post won't go anywhere but it felt good to get this stuff off my chest. I am kinda tired of people discussing security but not admitting the basics. Just remember that you need to target who you are trying to keep from stealing your stuff and use that level of protection.

When I was doing repo work I fell into the last group. I took every tools I needed to effect a recovery because I knew I usually only had one clean shot at something before the holder would hide or secure the property. I can say that there is not one thing I was tasked with that I did not recover. All it took was a bit of time and the right tools to collect anything.

:(
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

the thieves mindset

Post by Portland_Rider »

tunseeker1 wrote: "I figure that this post won't go anywhere but it felt good to get this stuff off my chest"

That was a good post. Thanks for putting in the time. What you wrote made good sense to me and I appreciate it. You seem to have done a solid job observing and learning about the thieves mindset.
armacham

Post by armacham »

Its like that old joke about stopping to put on sneakers while getting chased by a bear. You don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun the other guy.
docutech

Post by docutech »

That's it! I am getting a disc lock tomorrow!

Great post!
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I got a disk alarm the day after some co-workers decided it would be funny to move my scooter out of the parking lot at work, around behind the building. I called the police and reported it stolen. It wasn't until the cops showed up that these knuckle-heads fessed up. I was not happy. Another thing that concerned me is that our entire parking lot is monitored by cameras and no one apparently noticed 2 guys picking up and carrying a scooter across the lot. :evil:

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

When getting a disk lock remember to get a springy plastic key chain to go up to your handlebars.

It has 2 purposes.

First. It sucks very much bad to forget about the disk lock/alarm and either setting off the alarm or running the lock into the forks.

Second. It draws attention to the lock for people that don't know to look for one.
Portland_Rider

get a colored cable reminder

Post by Portland_Rider »

Howard,

I agree with Tunseeker1's post: get a colored 'reminder' cable that goes from your disc lock to the handlebar/ignition area (I'm having trouble thinking as it is 6:45AM and I'm just starting to drink my cup of java).

While in theory, the alarm will go off if you get on and move the steering column, you never know. What if the battery dies or the alarm simply does not work one-day? Riders have started to ride off forgetting about the disc (usually the non-alarm type). Seeing the cable and disc does serve a purpose to scare away a thief. Then again, it also notifies a thief that there is an alarm before he/she touches your scooter. Most pros suggest that it is better to wave the 'flag' and show your colored reminder cable.

Separately, if a heavy chain and lock is something that you are not ready to use, consider a lightweight cable lock whose purpose is mild deterrence from pranksters and low-level thieves of opportunity. I'm referring here to security in addition to a disc lock.

Use a cover too. There is something psychological about a cover keeping away thieves or vandals.

PR
scoots4me

Post by scoots4me »

Thanks for this post - it was indeed helpful and interesting from the "used to be a repo person" point of view. I don't mean to hijack...not sure if I will by asking, but does anyone know where we can buy one of those disc lock reminder thingies?

I lock my scooter with a large chain to the stair railing of my building. I also have a disc lock with an alarm. I also have a cover that I don't always use. With that in mind, I also know I run the risk of having the scoot stolen esp. because of where I live. It'd be sad for sure, but at least it is insured.
*** scootie scoot scoot ***
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

I tell people to go to anywhere that makes keys and get a coiled key chain and use it.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ ... =&pid=1163

Here is somewhere that sells minders from Kryptonite.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... &zmap=9974
Portland_Rider

one of those disc lock reminder thingies

Post by Portland_Rider »

[quote="scoots4me"]Thanks for this post - it was indeed helpful and interesting from the "used to be a repo person" point of view. I don't mean to hijack...not sure if I will by asking, but does anyone know where we can buy one of those disc lock reminder thingies?quote]

You can find them at most bicycle and motorcycle stores brick & mortar or online. If a store doesn't have it, they can easily order it.
scoots4me

Post by scoots4me »

Duh I don't know why I didn't think of local bike stores. :oops: Thanks everyone for your help (and for not mocking me...for now anyway). :lol:
*** scootie scoot scoot ***
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

I also look at Bike stores for cable locks ;)
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

I will never forget 2 months ago when I went downtown to the courthouse to pick up some paperwork and I parked in the motorcycle parking area next to a blue Buddy with temp tags on it.

I looked over and saw that the guy left the keys in the ignition. As it was close to 4, the only thing really open was the DMV close by so I decided to wait a few minutes. He came back out & about pooped his pants when he saw what he did.

He came out the next week on a ride and I made him buy me beer that night.

Duh.
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

:wtf: let in the keys?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

tunseeker1 wrote::wtf: let in the keys?
I did this the other day... Luckily it was when I was parking the scooter in my garage... Its a garage that only tenants of my building have access too and I park in the corner so no one walks past it. It was a good think I went back out on it an hour later... and realized what I had done.... :oops:
mayra

Post by mayra »

i left the keys in my "ignition" all day on monday at work. thankfully it was "off" but i scolded myself all night after work and promised i would never do that again then tuesday, i stopped at the gas station and left them in there again and this time it was on! :headache:
Lil' Cruzer

Post by Lil' Cruzer »

Okay, so I bought my scooter a few months ago, while I was still at home (super small town) and I have absolutly no worries about it being stollen while here...BUT in a few weeks I go back to school in Seattle and I am freaking out about security...I have a parking spot in a security patroled parking lot, but hey, it's Seattle and anything can happen. I've been reading a lot about disc locks and was seriously contemplating getting one and all ya'll have confermed my decision.

The question is...how do I know what a good disc lock is? Or if it will fit? Any suggestions? I've read a bit about the Zena lock, but I don't know what model would fit my buddy, and I've also heared that the lock is SUPER sensitive (not that it isn't great that it is)...I don't want to be setting the alarm off myself :oops: or some innocent passer-bye who happens to park next to me.....
VIVA!
charltons

Post by charltons »

I've taken a thick 15' vinyl covered cable with loops at both ends and fed it through a small opening I created between the underseat storage and the cowling. I made a few small cuts and they are invisible when the seat is down. I looped the end around the frame and coil the rest in the pet carrier. When I park I just pop the seat, pull out the cable, lock it up and close the seat. The extra length make it easy to lock up when I can't park close to something.
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

the xena is very sensitive, but i wouldn't suggest that deter you. if you put it between 4-6 o'clock on your disc lock its makes it a bit less likely to go off. and besides if it does... you have the key with you ;-D
ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

Lil' Cruzer wrote:Okay, so I bought my scooter a few months ago, while I was still at home (super small town) and I have absolutly no worries about it being stollen while here...BUT in a few weeks I go back to school in Seattle and I am freaking out about security...I have a parking spot in a security patroled parking lot, but hey, it's Seattle and anything can happen. I've been reading a lot about disc locks and was seriously contemplating getting one and all ya'll have confermed my decision.

The question is...how do I know what a good disc lock is? Or if it will fit? Any suggestions? I've read a bit about the Zena lock, but I don't know what model would fit my buddy, and I've also heared that the lock is SUPER sensitive (not that it isn't great that it is)...I don't want to be setting the alarm off myself :oops: or some innocent passer-bye who happens to park next to me.....
Xena has fixed the sensitivity problem. I used to have a sensitive one, they sent me a replacement unit, it does not go off unnecessarily now, no matter what position I place it in, and it goes off when it needs to. Please look into getting one, don't let the sensitivity issue (that was a temporary problem) scare you off.
evilscooterkitty

Post by evilscooterkitty »

From a good friend with MANY years of law enforcement experience: Get the best cable or chain lock you can and lock your scooter TO something that is as solid as possible. He told me that the "pros" will just put strap-on roller skates under the wheels of a scooter and wheel it up onto a truck. They can be gone in less than one minute and deal with disc locks or whatever. Having a good lock that attaches your scooter to something as close to immovable as possible is the best security.
smittydog

and I thought safety was going to be my biggest concern!

Post by smittydog »

Being a new rider I've been totally focused on learning safe riding skills, never thinking I'd need to worry about someone stealing my scooter!
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

ScootingInTheRain wrote: Xena has fixed the sensitivity problem. I used to have a sensitive one, they sent me a replacement unit, it does not go off unnecessarily now, no matter what position I place it in, and it goes off when it needs to. Please look into getting one, don't let the sensitivity issue (that was a temporary problem) scare you off.
My new Xena alarm works perfectly. It will not go off until the scooter is moved or shaken a bit. The wind or a light bump will not set this new one off.
Great Scooter Safety Site: http://www.highviz.org/