Advertising on Modern Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jess

Advertising on Modern Buddy

Post by jess »

I'm experimenting around (as I have been on Modern Vespa) with some advertising. It's an experiment, and if it proves too intrusive, I'll pull it.

Besides paying for the hosting for MB and MV, this is primarily geared toward generating some revenue that we can use for promotions and shwag.

We now return to your regularly scheduled scooter experience.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Hope you get some good advertisers with some cool stuff!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jess

Post by jess »

Besides Teh Google, I've got one advertiser lined up and ready to advertise here. I don't have banner artwork for them yet, though, so Google will have to suffice for the moment.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

I may be imagining it (or perhaps my computer is just old and tired), but it seems that the reload after posting is a bit slower now. Perhaps because it's fetching a new ad from somewhere?
jess

Post by jess »

vitaminC wrote:I may be imagining it (or perhaps my computer is just old and tired), but it seems that the reload after posting is a bit slower now. Perhaps because it's fetching a new ad from somewhere?
I would be willing to believe that page reloads across the board were slightly slower, due to pulling a new ad from Google's servers. However, I'd be surprised if it was only after posting.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I don't find it bothersome at all, and if it's helping you pay the bills and keep the site alive, I'm all sorts of behind it!! :D
Huh? What just happened?
jperkins

how does the advertising work?

Post by jperkins »

Jess Do you get the same amount of money for having the ads on the site even if we never click on them? If you get more money for the number of people who click on them, I am not opposed to helping out with the occasional click or two, just let us know.
LeopardGirl

Post by LeopardGirl »

Jess Do you get the same amount of money for having the ads on the site even if we never click on them? If you get more money for the number of people who click on them, I am not opposed to helping out with the occasional click or two, just let us know.

I don't find it bothersome at all, and if it's helping you pay the bills and keep the site alive, I'm all sorts of behind it!!

Ditto and Ditto
tam

Post by tam »

You also might want to consider using the google adsense for posting 4 textlinks into one of those horizontal banners. It scans the page for keywords and displays relative ads. Some of the hits pay up to a dollar so it's a good option for sure. There's quite a few forums that display the ad between the first and the rest of the post. Fairly intrusive, but forgivable, considering it pays for the server. I have it set up that way on my site, but only for unregistereds. Members don't see the ads at all

--- d'oh, just realized that you have them already, at the bottom of the page..
jess

Re: how does the advertising work?

Post by jess »

jperkins wrote:Jess Do you get the same amount of money for having the ads on the site even if we never click on them? If you get more money for the number of people who click on them, I am not opposed to helping out with the occasional click or two, just let us know.
Google pays by the click. HOWEVER, before anyone goes click happy, Teh Google frowns on click fraud. Really, it's not worth it. If you see something that interests you, great. If not, don't sweat it. Modern Buddy won't generate very much revenue, but it doesn't take a lot to keep it running, either.

It's more of an experiment than anything else, anyway.
jess

Post by jess »

tam wrote:d'oh, just realized that you have them already, at the bottom of the page..
:)

Unfortunately, Google AdSense is having a really hard time figuring out what we're talking about in this forum. Apparently, Buddy Miller ringtones is what we're really talking about here.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I happen to be a big Buddy Miller fan. Seriously.

Not likely to buy a ringtone though.

Maybe we should all start mentioning the words "motor scooter" more, with lots of technical details about engines and counter steering and more stuff about helmets and ATGATT and Kevlar armor.

The ads do kind of illustrate what a poor naming choice "Buddy" is for our scooter. I know product naming is an art, and not easy for a number of reasons, but let's get real here for a minute. What were they thinking? Granted, it's better than BuBu.

Stella... kind of sexy in a retro way. Blur... connotes speed. Rattler... tough and biting. Black Cat... not sure on that one. But Buddy? What were they going for there?
Kevin
AYPWIP?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

lobsterman wrote:The ads do kind of illustrate what a poor naming choice "Buddy" is for our scooter. I know product naming is an art, and not easy for a number of reasons, but let's get real here for a minute. What were they thinking? Granted, it's better than BuBu.

Stella... kind of sexy in a retro way. Blur... connotes speed. Rattler... tough and biting. Black Cat... not sure on that one. But Buddy? What were they going for there?
Agreed, it's a HORRIBLE name for a vehicle that's meant for adults. I really really really (etc) wish they had named it the same as in Australia, Bella. The first thing I did when I got her home was rip off the two BUDDY 125 decals. :roll:
ModBud #442
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

polianarchy wrote:Agreed, it's a HORRIBLE name for a vehicle that's meant for adults. I really really really (etc) wish they had named it the same as in Australia, Bella. The first thing I did when I got her home was rip off the two BUDDY 125 decals. :roll:
Bella... I could go with that - better than Buddy anyway.

I took the decals off too.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
weebl

Post by weebl »

Jess - I run a community website as had a similar problem with google ads not having any clue what my page was about. I've had a lot better luck with Project Wonderful than Google Ads... Project Wonderful is similar in that users bid for space, but you bit on specific spaces not specific words. We get about 3x the ad revenue from Project Wonderful compared to google.

the url is http://www.projectwonderful.com/ :)
jess

Post by jess »

weebl wrote:Jess - I run a community website as had a similar problem with google ads not having any clue what my page was about. I've had a lot better luck with Project Wonderful than Google Ads... Project Wonderful is similar in that users bid for space, but you bit on specific spaces not specific words. We get about 3x the ad revenue from Project Wonderful compared to google.

the url is http://www.projectwonderful.com/ :)
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

lobsterman wrote: The ads do kind of illustrate what a poor naming choice "Buddy" is for our scooter. I know product naming is an art, and not easy for a number of reasons, but let's get real here for a minute. What were they thinking? Granted, it's better than BuBu.
?
I was on the Burgman forum a little while ago (yes, I have a 2007 650 Executive on order!). Some people dont like the name Burgman and would rather have the asian name Skywave. Same thing .."what were they thinking etc. That discussion kind of came to a dead stop when I posted that I ride a Buddy 125! :shock:
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Keys

Post by Keys »

...so just refer to it as a Genuine BD 125. Works for me!!

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

polianarchy wrote:Agreed, it's a HORRIBLE name for a vehicle that's meant for adults. I really really really (etc) wish they had named it the same as in Australia, Bella.
I am not sure how thay can call it that in Australia. I am sure the Zündapp owners are pissed.

lou76

Post by lou76 »

Keys wrote:...so just refer to it as a Genuine BD 125. Works for me!!

--Keys 8)
i look forward to the day when "b125" is the common name... i seriously even prefer bubu to buddy...
ellen

Post by ellen »

Hey, if Piaggio can get away with calling the Beverly in the states a "BV"
Why not B50 or B125 :)
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Clicking on the SFSC ad (top right) gives me a new page and a 404 error. I'm using the latest Firefox. Of course, I already know where they are... :P
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

vitaminC wrote:Clicking on the SFSC ad (top right) gives me a new page and a 404 error. I'm using the latest Firefox. Of course, I already know where they are... :P
Happened to me too
www.teamscootertrash.com

jess

Post by jess »

Okay, I must be stupid. Let me go fix that.
jess

Post by jess »

Fixed. Sorry about that, folks. And apologies to Barry, too...