How far do you commute?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Yes, five miles each way.
ModBud #442
indy anna

Post by indy anna »

bunny wrote: And there's a SWEET curvy road I take EVERY DAY that puts a permagrin on my face morning and afternoon! (For you DFWers: it's Mid-Cities between 360 and 121 in Euless)
Once I get the cast off my left wrist and can ride my scooter again, I'll have an 11 mile commute.

And: Bunny, I love the bolded word! "Permagrin"! The whole idea of it rocks!

:D
reenie

Post by reenie »

32 miles round trip -with a toll each way (smart tag) works wonderfully!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

About 44 miles round trip on north Denver side roads at 45+ mph. I love it but wish the suspension were better. I have a few rough stretches of road that beat up on my and my Buddy! I have been cold in the mornings but wear a sweatshirt under my mesh jacket and have switched to leather gloves from my summer mesh.

Last night, I had to work late and left the hospital at ~7 pm. It was in the 60's with a huge moon and clear skies. It was my first long ride at night and traffic was light. The smell of wood smoke and farms was great on my ride home. I arrived home completely relaxed after a particular bad day at work! 8)
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
sl4x7

Post by sl4x7 »

22 miles daily round trip @ 55 - 60+ indicated mph.
Tricia

commute

Post by Tricia »

I am lucky enough to live in beautiful so cal right on the beach, so i get to ride pretty much every day, no matter what. My commute is only 1.5 mi each way, though. :(
Ventura County Scooter Club
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

About 5 miles each way - best part is crossing the mighty Ohio River.
Clearly.
shahdhch

Post by shahdhch »

About 14 miles round trip, going on average 40 mph. I love the drive and look forward to it. Although I leave my house at 5 in the morning so it's been getting a bit chilly. I have a good jacket and helmet so I think I am going to make myself a skirt to wear through the winter.
I once shot a man just to watch him die. Then I got distracted and missed it.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

shahdhch wrote:About 14 miles round trip, going on average 40 mph. I love the drive and look forward to it. Although I leave my house at 5 in the morning so it's been getting a bit chilly. I have a good jacket and helmet so I think I am going to make myself a skirt to wear through the winter.
I made a good scooter apron for last winter, and it made all the difference!
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

i take the bus to work. but sometimes i'll take the buddy because it's fun. how long? about 32 miles each way. :D
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

Let's see. My commute to my regular job 7 days a week, 3 times a day, is only about 1 mile one way.
My commute to CRE&T/Olygeek (a cool computer place where I volunteer twice to three times a week) is around 15 miles one way.
Then I travel the local Highway 101 for 17 miles one way three to four times a week for a part-time temporary job. This is a blast as I get to do 60+ :whew:
I also use the scoot for my shopping trips and errands all over the place.
My car has spiderwebs on the mirrors now.

I have no idea what this adds up to.... :roll:

ETA I made a scooter skirt last winter which really made riding more comfortable. It allowed me to go out in temps in the 20s w/o freezing. Highly recommend!
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Considerig I am probably coming from the direction Bunny used to head towards I am not suprised to be saying my commute is roughly 44miles round trip 4 days a week on average. My gear so far has kept me sufficiently warm and I added those hand coveres sold by Scooterworks to help keep the wind of my hands further aiding my gloves in keeping my hands warm. I am still waiting for my scootershop to get in windshields. Wish they would come in already. :?
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
generalstrike

Post by generalstrike »

To work: 5 and a half miles each way (5-6 days/week)
To school: 7 miles each way (2 days/week)
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

A little over 9 miles each way. Mostly double lanes and 55+mph.
Driving from one county to the next.
It involves a couple of small bridges but most of it is a few feet above sea level.
One larger bridge is over the Escambia River which is an inlet from the nearby Gulf of Mexico.
When it's calm it's a great ride. When the wind gusts from the Gulf I wish I wasn't out there on a scooter.

When Ivan came through it ripped up the roads badly and they did a cheesy thin-layered blacktop patch job
after replacing some wave-battered bridge sections.
This month they are finally repaving correctly after playing around with it since last Spring. :roll:
I think that will improve the ride because the surface is really scarred with ruts that like to pull your tires in different directions.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

7.8 miles exact.
We should do a poll:
- less then 10
- 10 - 30
etc..
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
thecarver61

Post by thecarver61 »

I am so jealous of smaller commutes. I get more miles, rain, gas & wind.
I'm getting ready for the colder weather. I've got my Tuscano Urbano on and I just ordered a FF helmet. I went with the Caberg Trip. Here's to riding in the cold, snow and occasional rain. No ice, please!
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

italiaguy wrote:30 miles round trip.
Sometimes when I get home I turn around and go back out for a ride. :wink:
That is me 30+ miles round trip and more when I get home. I often hope for afternoon rain to ride home in. I know... I am a freak!.. :)
Great Scooter Safety Site: http://www.highviz.org/
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

3.5 mi each way thru wooded streets and farmland. VERY bucolic!
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Jrman wrote:
italiaguy wrote:30 miles round trip.
Sometimes when I get home I turn around and go back out for a ride. :wink:
That is me 30+ miles round trip and more when I get home. I often hope for afternoon rain to ride home in. I know... I am a freak!.. :)
You SURE you live in Florida? You sound like a NWer ;)
Randoscoot

Post by Randoscoot »

Round trip from Pasadena to Burbank every day! 35 miles. :lol:
rondothemidget

Commute

Post by rondothemidget »

Just over 50 miles RT of scenic Orange County California roads - tract homes, strip malls and commercial buildings as far as the eye can see! I do get to drive over the Newport Back Bay for about 5 seconds.
amanda_c

Post by amanda_c »

32 miles round trip across some of the most congested streets in LA. Lane sharing rocks. I'm moving, and all of the cages are almost standing still.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

currently less than one mile from home to office. But I drive all over for work. Today I put on nearly 100 miles visiting clients. yes you can hate me- I essentially get paid to ride the Buddy.
ddscooters

Post by ddscooters »

peabody99 wrote:currently less than one mile from home to office. But I drive all over for work. Today I put on nearly 100 miles visiting clients. yes you can hate me- I essentially get paid to ride the Buddy.
Nice! We should all be so lucky.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Used to be 14 miles RT to work. Now it's 5. Once or twice a week a 35 round trip.

Got rid of my car.
Lisa I

Post by Lisa I »

10 miles round trip. On the days when I need to run errands on my way home (adding extra miles) I especially enjoy it. :-)
jimmymac

Post by jimmymac »

40 miles round trip. The ride has never been so much fun. With errands etc.. avg about 55 miles a day.
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

Lisa I wrote:10 miles round trip. On the days when I need to run errands on my way home (adding extra miles) I especially enjoy it. :-)
I like your avatar! :clap: Cute :)
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

It's 16 miles each way for me. I pity the poor folks who have those short commutes.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Howardr wrote:It's 16 miles each way for me. I pity the poor folks who have those short commutes.

Howard
Amen! My commute is the best part of my day, most days!
taile84

Post by taile84 »

32 miles baby!

Vroom Vroom, here I come! riding it like I stole it.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

I actually commute about 45-50 miles round trip each day. I take a slightly different route each day. Love it. I actually drove my scooter home the 40+ miles from the shop the first day I got it (picked out a 30 mph route). The most I have gone on one drive was 120 miles from where I teach to my in-laws house all so my father-in-law could check out the scooter (He drives a much larger motorcycle).
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

It's 20-40 miles 'round trip any time I head into town. 20 just to downtown and back. When I get around to finishing my associates degree (hopefully this summer) it'll be a 70-80 mile 'round trip commute.
So...this summer I'll be happily riding 80-100 miles a day, or cursing every mile under my breath if I have to drive. :lol:
etak

Post by etak »

I only get to ride 2 miles (one way) 2 days/week, and 3 miles 3 days/week. City driving. Stop and go. On one short stretch, I can get up to 35-40 mph.
I wish my commutes were longer. I feel like I spend almost as much time getting the scoot out, gearing up and down, locking up, etc. that I do riding! But . . . I still love it. Lots more fun than driving.
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

etak wrote:I only get to ride 2 miles (one way) 2 days/week, and 3 miles 3 days/week. City driving. Stop and go. On one short stretch, I can get up to 35-40 mph.
I wish my commutes were longer. I feel like I spend almost as much time getting the scoot out, gearing up and down, locking up, etc. that I do riding! But . . . I still love it. Lots more fun than driving.
That sounds like the perfect excuse for a scenic joyride. ;)
etak

Post by etak »

Cheshire wrote:
etak wrote:I only get to ride 2 miles (one way) 2 days/week, and 3 miles 3 days/week. City driving. Stop and go. On one short stretch, I can get up to 35-40 mph.
I try, but I am in Brooklyn.
Like a bird on the wire,
-Leonard Cohen

fretman

Post by fretman »

etak wrote:
Cheshire wrote:
I'm in the same boat as etak. What I've been doing though, is going out for midnight rides. In my part of Brooklyn, the traffic is very light then, and the avenues are generally clear, with few traffic lights. It ain't real scenic, but its as close to a joyride as I can get!
etak

Post by etak »

fretman wrote:
etak wrote:
Cheshire wrote: That sounds like the perfect excuse for a scenic joyride. ;)
I'm in the same boat as etak. What I've been doing though, is going out for midnight rides. In my part of Brooklyn, the traffic is very light then, and the avenues are generally clear, with few traffic lights. It ain't real scenic, but its as close to a joyride as I can get!
Great idea - I'll have to try it!
Like a bird on the wire,
-Leonard Cohen

cadillaczac

Post by cadillaczac »

I ride my scoot everyday that I can, my commute to work is about five miles round trip. I also commute out to my Moms every weekend (about 100 miles round trip) and anywhere else I can go . I also have ridden my scooter to and from NoHo scooters almost everytime I needed something (around 140 miles round trip) until we got a truck. I take my scoot where ever I can, except the freeway. So far I have had my scooter about three months and have put a little over 2200 miles on it. I think I drive it more than my car!
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
www.camarollersscooterclub.blogspot.com
stickykitteh

Post by stickykitteh »

well i don't have the scoot yet--and wouldn't be riding if i did considering the temperature and windchill--but my daily commute will be about 50 miles round trip in a couple months, at 7am and midnight. woohoo!
Rob

Post by Rob »

etak wrote:
Cheshire wrote:
I have a similar situation. I can take a direct, short commute directly to work, but I have to battle heavy traffic, semis, with the last half being a "don't stop if humanly possible" ride through gang banger land. So, often times take a much longer, semi-scenic commute along Lake Michigan and through some state forest properties.

I've never been to Brooklyn, but I'm guessing your options are far more limited.

Rob
eeyoremd

Post by eeyoremd »

My commute ito work is 5 miles one way. I come home for lunch every day so thats 20 miles daily. But its been too cold for me, so its been awhile since I scootered to work.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

eeyoremd wrote:My commute ito work is 5 miles one way. I come home for lunch every day so thats 20 miles daily. But its been too cold for me, so its been awhile since I scootered to work.
Get some better gear. I commute 50 miles round trip every day in the same weather you do with no problems :) Its all about the gear.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Det finns inget dåligt väder, bara dåliga kläder.

True enough. I ride 15 miles each way, about half of that at 65 bmph, at night, and it's been in the 30's during the commute.

Leather jacket
FF helmet.
Knitted wool balaclava
quilt lined leather chaps
long underwear
and now polartex thinsulate gloves.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

I have a 10 mile round trip and ride as often as possible. I have done several trips of over 100 miles, mostly for fun.

Right now Buddy is in the back yard shed and the battery is in the basement on a tender. So sad.:( I ride until there is ice or snow on the roads. In 2008 that was a week before Thanksgiving. It only takes a tiny unseen patch of Ice to ruin your day. I hit one last spring on my bicycle and went down at the speed of light. No damage, just sore for the rest of the day.

I hope to resurrect Buddy in March when the ice on the roads goes away. I need to install my Prima windshield too. The temp is above zero today so its lookin' good!
CiaoItalia

Post by CiaoItalia »

I have to commiserate with my fellow Wisconsinite about being forced to put my scoot away for the winter :cry: I used to work as a wine distributor and was able to take my scoot all over SE Wisconsin for work each day. Now I work at a fixed location a mere 2.03 miles from home. Needless to say I take the long (out of the way) way home every time I can.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i commuted for the first time in almost 3 months today! whopping 1.05 miles! It was pretty cold... but nothing like you crazies in the midwest ride in...
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

I commute round trip of 30 miles. Last week we had a heat wave so I got to ride four out five days. This week it has turned cold and icy. So olive is in the garage.
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

I ride everyday regardless. My work is only about 4 miles, so 8 miles round trip. It varies between 25mph-45mph. Ever since I bought the Blur's, I've been riding them everyday. We have taken our scoots to my parent's house which is about 30 mins away with speed limits around 55mph.

As the warmer weather gets here, I look forward to longer trips on the scoots, but with bigger motorcycles in the garage, they usually win out right now. Especially since they can run our heated gear and provide better wind protection.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

49 states completed between 2006 & 2008
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I just retraced my old 16 mile (one way) commute to downtown LA to meet some people for lunch. It's a beautiful scenic route through Griffith Park, Silverlake and Echo Park. Though I did it every day for about 6 months, today (after not commuting for about 6 months) it felt really long.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…