Front Rack - is it useful?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gng

Front Rack - is it useful?

Post by gng »

Curious if any of you have any opinions on a front rack. I know where I can get one and it would hide the punch outs, which bug me, but can you really put stuff on it? Is is handy, or just cosmetic?
Lisa I

Post by Lisa I »

I'm intersted in the same thing. it's the only thing I haven't got that I think I might like. If it weren't for the punchouts, I'd try it, but it seems like once you go with it, you're committed.
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

I like the black basket better. I am always putting things in it.
broke

Post by broke »

I really like the front rack. I found a great plastic tote that holds 3 board games!!! With 3 bungie cords it is rock solid. I've driven over 45mph with that tote on there to get to board game day at the game store...

My two passions! Board Games and Buddy.

Oh and I probably wouldn't use that big of a tote at night since it blocks the head lamp a tad. It doesn't block cars visibility of the lamp, but it keeps some of the light from hitting the ground in front of you.
Attachments
buddy_front_tote_1.jpg
buddy_front_tote_1.jpg (34.26 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
buddy_front_tote_2.jpg
buddy_front_tote_2.jpg (25.4 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
buddy_front_tote_3.jpg
buddy_front_tote_3.jpg (28.95 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Very useful for us. My wife has a carry tote of some sort that we bungie on the front rack when we ride to market.

A tip. The spring on the front rack is quite strong and tends to squash collapsable totes (and whatever is in them). We use a strip of velcro (a cord tender) to hold the rack open, and when finished, fold the rack back up and wrap the velcro around the bottom of the rack for the next time.

As broke noted above, using the rack at night can be problematic because packages can block the headlight.
Clearly.
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

I have one on my Buddy and have yet to actually use it. It looks great and as far as the punchouts you can get stoppers to put in the punch outs in the event you take the front rack off. Think you can find them at Wallmart. I haveen't gone looking for them yet myself but my dealers service guy was the one who recommended them.

broke your a scooterist of same nature as me! Are you registered at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/newuser.php by chance?
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
broke

Post by broke »

newslinky wrote:broke your a scooterist of same nature as me! Are you registered at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/newuser.php by chance?
Why YES I AM! My addiction is chronicled at:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/brokasaphasia
(Although I _PROMISED_ my wife _NO MORE GAMES_ for the rest of the year!)
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

The front rack is amazingly versatile. I wasn't sure about it either but I've bungeed a box of stuff I bought online up there and my work bag when the topcase and pet carrier were full. It's very very sturdy and I like that I can see the cargo. The swing-down platform is spring loaded so it keeps any soft/light cargo held tight against the body of the Buddy.
hackett

Post by hackett »

I'm holding out until they make the black front rack. Chrome up front and black in the rear would be <i>unsightly</i>.
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

hackett wrote:I'm holding out until they make the black front rack. Chrome up front and black in the rear would be <i>unsightly</i>.
A little sand paper, some barbecue black rattle can, chunk it in the oven and there you have a very nice black rack easily renewed every two years or so. Barbecue black even comes in satin finish.
hackett

Post by hackett »

DennisD wrote:
A little sand paper, some barbecue black rattle can, chunk it in the oven and there you have a very nice black rack easily renewed every two years or so. Barbecue black even comes in satin finish.
I'm not in a rush, and since the black rear rack is cheaper than the chrome, I'm assuming the same will hold true for the front.

Good thinking, though. If they never make the black, I may have to do that...
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
soundofsingles

Post by soundofsingles »

loodieboy wrote:A tip. The spring on the front rack is quite strong and tends to squash collapsable totes (and whatever is in them). We use a strip of velcro (a cord tender) to hold the rack open, and when finished, fold the rack back up and wrap the velcro around the bottom of the rack for the next time.
Thanks for that tip! I've been trying to think of a good way to keep that thing down. Sometimes that spring is more trouble than help, especially if I'm carrying a light load.
shawnie

Post by shawnie »

I personally use the front rack more than I use the back one...
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

No racks for me. The Buddy is just too pretty to mess up. Besides, I have the rack (stock) with topcase on the Vespa if I need to haul stuff.
amanda_c

Post by amanda_c »

I bungee my laptop case to the front-rack. Two cords and it's solid. I do wonder, sometimes, whether carrying items on the front rack (vs the back rack) affects my steering or my gas mileage--it's probably all in my head.

But between the front rack, the rear rack w/ basket and the hook on the legshield, the Buddy can carry a surprising amount of stuff. I took mine to CostCo today. Not only did I get no-wait, rockstar parking, but I carried everything home with ease <i>and</i> dropped only $3 at the gas station to refill my tank. :D
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I agree that having black for both front and rear racks would be nice, but the chrome front rack and the black rear rack don't look too bad. Unless you have painted these, you will have chrome around your deadlights and headlight anyhow. :)
Attachments
IMG_4401.jpg
IMG_4401.jpg (76.22 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Bobltc

Post by Bobltc »

Short case fits it great. I use mine all the time. :shock:
kazigami

front rack

Post by kazigami »

I love my front rack! I use it a lot more then the back. I use one bungee cord to get it flat then wrap the same cord around whatever I'm carring. I use it to carry lunch to work everyday and carry groceries. Between the front and rear rack and the pet carrier I get a lot home. You can even get a 12 pack of beer or a 12 pack of toilet paper on the front, whatever you need more :). Plus I love the shiney chrome!
PM me if want to ride around Denver :)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

My front rack holds 2 6-packs perfectly... very useful IMO... :wink:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |