$$$ lesson replacing 1156A rear turn signals. Prev. Thread

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Babypea

$$$ lesson replacing 1156A rear turn signals. Prev. Thread

Post by Babypea »

It might be wise for those who are electrically challenged, as I am, to completely remove the rear assembly before "pushing and turning" the larger replacement bulb into place. I too purchased a set of larger 1156A bulbs for more visability as Elm Creek suggested in an earllier thread. During the "push and turn" process, somehow the wires either crossed over themselves, or touched and completely shorted out the fuse. I went and bought fuses not knowing what had actually happened. The bike would not even crank over. She was completely dead. After replacing the fuse, I tried again. Fried the fuse again. Took the larger bulbs out and put the originals back in. Put in a new fuse, and it just crackled and blue the fuse again. Called my dealer, "Bring her in" he says. I put in a new fuse just to get to the dealer, and never used my signals as I knew I would be stalled without any fuses to get her started because I had used all the dang things. When I arrived, they removed the rear assembly and found that in the "push and turn" process, the wires had crossed themselves. They had to rewire, and replace the fuse again. Just to be safe it might be wise to remove the rear assy. to "push and turn" just to make sure your wires don't cross.
Since when does anything you say, have any bearing over what I do?
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

Yikes! What a pain for you! Did your dealer install the larger bulbs? How are they working?
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Anyone with electric skills: A tutorial with pics would be MUCH appreciated! I am planning on doing this as soon as we get our new Buddy...
Babypea

Larger bulbs ??

Post by Babypea »

Shellee wrote:Yikes! What a pain for you! Did your dealer install the larger bulbs? How are they working?
No I didn't have the dealer install them. I threw them away, and don't plan to do any more electrical work myself.

Now I feel fortunate to have successfully changed my grips out.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Babypea-

Why on earth would you throw perfectly good bulbs away? :? If you'd had your dealer install them, you'd have seen what a huge difference they make.

BTW, changing out bulbs isn't "electrical" work. If the bulbs in the signals burn out, they'll still need replacing.

ECS
Babypea

Post by Babypea »

Elm Creek Smith wrote:Babypea-

Why on earth would you throw perfectly good bulbs away? :? If you'd had your dealer install them, you'd have seen what a huge difference they make.

BTW, changing out bulbs isn't "electrical" work. If the bulbs in the signals burn out, they'll still need replacing.

ECS
AND THE DEALER CAN CHANGE THEM. IN MY OPINION IF THEY LIGHT UP...IT'S ELECTRICAL.
Elm Creek Smith

Babypea wrote: AND THE DEALER CAN CHANGE THEM. IN MY OPINION IF THEY LIGHT UP...IT'S ELECTRICAL.
Fine. :roll: That still doesn't explain or excuse throwing away perfectly good light bulbs. :? If you'd rather not be seen, keep the little bulbs, but you could have give the big bulbs to someone else.

Sheesh.

ECS
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I suspect what happened to Babypea was a fluke, albeit a really frustrating one.

I just changed out the stock turn signals in the back with 1156A's and it was very easy and definitely worth it. Just wanted to let anyone who might be intimidated know it's not any harder than swapping out any household lightbulb. In fact it's easier than most because it isn't awkwardly hanging over your head.

You just unscrew the cover, pop the cover out (I found pushing down on the cover the best way to pop it out), twist out the bulb, twist in the new one, and screw the cover back on.

I did drop one of the new bulbs and it shattered even though it was only a foot off the ground, so treat them carefully. Glad I bought two sets :)
Elm Creek Smith

I was just flabbergasted by someone throwing away turn signal bulbs just because that person was unable to change them out without screwing up the light sockets, especially since the dealer was able to fix the light fixtures.

So much for scooterists being rugged individualists.

Still, sheesh.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
Babypea

Post by Babypea »

Elm Creek Smith wrote:I was just flabbergasted by someone throwing away turn signal bulbs just because that person was unable to change them out without screwing up the light sockets, especially since the dealer was able to fix the light fixtures.

So much for scooterists being rugged individualists.

Still, sheesh.

ECS
Elm Creek Smith

Do what you like. Blaming the new bulbs for your inability to perform normal, routine maintenance without damaging your scoot also has no bearing on what I say.

Enjoy. You're the first person to make my "ignore" list. Congratulations.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
Keys

Post by Keys »

To me, showing that much contempt for someone who may not know as much about maintenance as you is just as contemptable. I would imagine that there are many things that Babypea can do that you cannot that you could be held in contempt for. I would think that there have been many computers thrown away by people who just didn't understand that the computer was not at fault, but rather a certain program or even their own ignorance. It really is no different.

It boils down to this; "you threw away a two and a half dollar pack of lightbulbs, therefore, since you didn't assign them the same value I do, I shall ignore you."

Absurd.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
Elm Creek Smith

That's not it, Keys.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Sorry, didn't mean to get this started. IMHO clearly something flukey happened with Babypea's lights. I'm not particularly mechanical, but to me it seems there should not be anything that you can do when changing a bulb that is going to cross your wires. :? And while I'm all for reduce, reuse, and recycle (to a truly obsessive degree), if I had had to take my scooter to a dealer just for having tried to swap out some lights, I probably would have done a frustrated, angry dance all over those bulbs! :D I'm glad I swapped my lights, and I'm glad I'd read this post beforehand so that I was more precautious while making the swap.
jess

Post by jess »

Civility, gentlemen. Please let's have some civility.
Elm Creek Smith

If I have offended anyone, and it seems that I have, I apologize. It must have been the old motorcyclist in me.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
Babypea

Post by Babypea »

Thank you Keys. Thank you Sunshinen.
Elm Creek.........grow up.
LET IT GO ALREADY! ! !
Elm Creek Smith

I apologized...like a grown up. One per customer.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
lou76

Post by lou76 »

sunshinen wrote: I'm glad I swapped my lights, and I'm glad I'd read this post beforehand so that I was more precautious while making the swap.
...that's the whole point of this forum, correct? sharing and receiving info? ...um...
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Elm Creek Smith wrote:It must have been the old motorcyclist in me.
Do you have Prince Albert in a can? :clown:
ModBud #442
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

lou76 wrote:
sunshinen wrote: I'm glad I swapped my lights, and I'm glad I'd read this post beforehand so that I was more precautious while making the swap.
...that's the whole point of this forum, correct? sharing and receiving info? ...um...
My point exactly. :D
Elm Creek Smith

polianarchy wrote:
Elm Creek Smith wrote:It must have been the old motorcyclist in me.
Do you have Prince Albert in a can? :clown:
Nope, I quit smoking years ago!

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."