Bicycle computer on Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ncsteve

Bicycle computer on Buddy?

Post by ncsteve »

Has anyone installed a bicycle computer on a Buddy or any other scooter? I've heard of some installs on motorcycles and was thinking of putting one on my Buddy. It would be nice to have an accurate speedometer, clock, trip meter, and maybe even temp reading. I'll do some research and pass on what I find out and try out.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I use a Garmin 305 Edge for cycling and it is very accurate for speed. I have carried it in a transparent wrist pouch while riding the Buddy but it is hard to see for a speed check. There might be some way of mounting it on the upper handle bar cover but I'm afraid of losing it with anykind of adhesive mounting. I do not use a windscreen.
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

I've not done it, but it can certainly be done, you can get the cyclometers with average speed and max speed for any given ride as well as altitude readings... maybe good in the hillier parts of this continent ...... might just install one on my scoot...
"Social graces, got any"
DarbyWalters

Post by DarbyWalters »

Google "Ram Mounts"
Founder of www.LOSTKJs.com ... Jeep Liberty Forum

Lambretta UNO 150cc 4 Stroke...Hope I can still hang around here!

GY6B...4 Valve Head, 26mm carb, Oil Cooler, High Compression head...all Stock...64mpg Top End.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

Tazio wrote:I use a Garmin 305 Edge for cycling and it is very accurate for speed. I have carried it in a transparent wrist pouch while riding the Buddy but it is hard to see for a speed check. There might be some way of mounting it on the upper handle bar cover but I'm afraid of losing it with anykind of adhesive mounting. I do not use a windscreen.
i've seen the vespa riders attatch a gps via ram mount onto the mirror stem. you'll have to buy the smaller bar mount plus the shim to make it even smaller, it may take additional shimming.
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

robonz23 wrote:
Tazio wrote:I use a Garmin 305 Edge for cycling and it is very accurate for speed. I have carried it in a transparent wrist pouch while riding the Buddy but it is hard to see for a speed check. There might be some way of mounting it on the upper handle bar cover but I'm afraid of losing it with anykind of adhesive mounting. I do not use a windscreen.
i've seen the vespa riders attatch a gps via ram mount onto the mirror stem. you'll have to buy the smaller bar mount plus the shim to make it even smaller, it may take additional shimming.
Yup, mosey on over to ModernVespa.com and search "GPS mounts." Lots of threads on it. Most use various Ram mounts, though.

On the Buddy, you may be able to rig a clamp or adhesive mount to the glove bucket to keep the GPS protected by the leg shield.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

thats a good cyclometer! im jealous. it was either that or a new set of Mavics.
I have the scoots!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I have a bike computer on my Blur. If anyone's thinking about the same thing, get one with a large display so that you can see it while riding. There's also wireless versions so you don't have to run a wire up to the display unit. Mine has it's mount tie-wrapped to the right mirror stalk. I can remove the computer whenever I want with a quick twist. The bad news is that the Blur's speedometer is about 5 miles an hour optimistic. :(
Kurzer

Post by Kurzer »

I use a Garmin eTrex Legend on a handlebar mount. I like it because I have maps of the area I'm in... usefull if I'm lost. I can switch to a compass heading with customizable data sections, I use speed and the clock as my two smaller screens then switch between the compass and the map views. This is on my 50, the Buddy doesn't have open handlebars I can mount to. I plan on drilling a pilot hole later this spring to position a slide mount for the Garmin just above the handlebar cover.

Here's a pic of the eTrex...
I don't do much modding on the scoot anymore, just riding :-)
monza

Post by monza »

I have installed bike computers on scooters before. It is easy. Just do not buy a cheap one (like $15 Bell one from Walmart) because they are all crap and wont acurately work above 45mph. Go to a real bicycle shop and buy a decent one.

When you get it, you have to enter a correction factor into the computer to adjust for your tire size. The factor is simply the circumference of the tire in mm. You can calculate direct from the tire size, or measure it with a fabric tape measure (like a sewing tape).
-Paul O.
63 VNB "125 Super"
62 Mini Cooper 1100
ncsteve

Bicycle computer on Buddy

Post by ncsteve »

So far the on line consensus is that the Sigma Sport BC800 is the most popular choice among motorcyclists. That is the computer I am considering most strongly at the moment.
MAJensen

Post by MAJensen »

Has any one had good luck with a wireless bicycle computer? if so what kind?
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

MC'ers prefer Sigmas?? Huh.
That's what I've been using for several years on my bicycle. Great computers: german engineering. Might want to call the local bike shop...not everyone carries them, although most can special-order. (Just so's ya don't waste a trip expecting to get one that day....)

*edit to compensate for forgetfulness*
Sigma makes a really decent variety of wireless cyclocomputers. The one I've got my eye on is around $50, which is pretty standard pricing. Just make sure you don't get one that does cadence, unless you're planning on switching it between your scooter and your bicycle. Don't think you can rig it to read tach, and it would probably fry a circuit in the computer. :wink: