Cannonball Run!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Alix B

Post by Alix B »

I'm REALLY shocked about his carb. What a bummer.

This just doesn't gel with me. I've never heard about anyone having carb trouble with the Buddy?????

I had the same thing happen on my scoot before. I could even drive it a bit and then it would shut off, wait 5 min. drive it again, shut off in 2 min.

It was my jet, in the float. I had to clean it out.

ANother time it was my fuel filter and fuel valve.

Especially if he just had some bad gas, which I read about somewhere.

It's amazing how the little fixes help sometime.
Fuel and Air are your engines oxygen and blood.
docutech

Post by docutech »

Dang Rob, I cant believe no one has a carb for you here in the Gateway...

I hope you find one!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Alix B wrote:I'm REALLY shocked about his carb. What a bummer.

This just doesn't gel with me. I've never heard about anyone having carb trouble with the Buddy?????
It may not be the carb… possibly valves. Sucks either way.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Well, I received an email from Rob saying "Thanks I got it running and i'm back on the road."

He didn't mention that there is a valve problem--or any other performance issue now that the carb was rebuilt.

I don't think they would just rebuild a carb if there wasn't a problem....????
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

Rob sent me this...

I got the valve fixed at moto italia in edwardsville illinois
Thanks
rob
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

ok. good to know.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I got an email from him as well. It was an exhaust valve. He says it's running well and he's off!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
bunny

Post by bunny »

I must be doing something wrong...according to Locatea.net, he's not moving. Anywher. And he's been not moving since last night...
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

bunny wrote:I must be doing something wrong...according to Locatea.net, he's not moving. Anywher. And he's been not moving since last night...
I'm not sure if that tracks in realtime or only when he pings it. I know Spot can do either.
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

Rob is alive & well & mobile in Cincinnati. Had a good time hanging with those guys for a couple hours tonight.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScooterDave wrote:Rob is alive & well & mobile in Cincinnati. Had a good time hanging with those guys for a couple hours tonight.
And Jess even loaned you an avatar. Good you boys buried the hatchet.
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

ericalm wrote:
ScooterDave wrote:Rob is alive & well & mobile in Cincinnati. Had a good time hanging with those guys for a couple hours tonight.
Jess is a good guy. He reminded me why I lost my avatar as I had really forgotten. I lost it because I started using his avatar after he threatened to ban me after one of my ScooterWorks rants.

So, I decided to molest his pickup truck in the parking lot.

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

That is a really nice picture of y'all. Makes you two look like nice upstanding young men.

The one with Dave & Jess's truck, however, is quite the opposite. *cringe*

But anyway, YAY for Rob! And DOUBLE YAY for all the Cannonballers! :)
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScooterDave wrote:So, I decided to molest his pickup truck in the parking lot.
You're rarely fully-dressed, I notice.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

ScooterDave wrote:
ericalm wrote:
Jess is a good guy. He reminded me why I lost my avatar as I had really forgotten. I lost it because I started using his avatar after he threatened to ban me after one of my ScooterWorks rants.

So, I decided to molest his pickup truck in the parking lot.

HAHAHA! :lol: Vroom means yes!
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Is that a class III or class IV receiver hitch on Jess' truck? Rolf spends thousands of miles tenderly fonling the truck only to have you come along and do this :headache:
bunny

Post by bunny »

Never thought I'd see the day of truck molestation...

eh.

It could be MUCH worse, y'know...
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

jperkins

Post by jperkins »

Scooterdave.....like the location refrence........never pegged you as a commputer nerd

127.0.0.1=Home
MB Member #322
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Cannonballers have all finished final day, I think.

From what I hear, Jess came out first in his class, with Joel in second. Pretty sure Rob made it in second in his class against 2 SYM HD200s.

Congrats to ALL riders. Thanks for the pics, blog, and updates.

Maybe see you on the starting line in 2 years!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Well done Rob Taylor! You are a total trooper for hanging in there the whole way on a Buddy.

Great to meet you and your dad.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I just found out Cannonball '04 (the first one) ended 2 miles from my house at NoHo Scooters. I was just a wannabe scooterist back then, dreaming of my first scooter, and totally clueless about such things. :)
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

Congratulations to Rob, and the rest of the CBers!

Can't wait to see pics and hear road stories.
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

jperkins wrote:Scooterdave.....like the location refrence........never pegged you as a commputer nerd

127.0.0.1=Home

:D

Yes. I am a computer nerd.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

i will post tomorrow on my site (and probably here also) telling almost the whole saga. i will not know the whole saga until tulsa scooters checks out my bike and tells me what's wrong but my scooter died in the d.c. area and i had to take it to two scooter shops to try and get a diagnosis.
the first mechanic claims that the engine seized up, but i'm not sure that that is really the case.
i'll post my pics and stories then later i'll let you know what was actually wrong with the scooter.

I missed the finish line by 120 miles :cry:

i was pretty bummed yesterday, but looking back i had such a great time that it is hard to complain. i plan to come back in 2010 and finish the whole thing.

i tried to post a few times from my phone, and i can't find any of those posts so i'm thinking something didn't work there.

sorry about the locatea thing but aparently it would only work if i logged on each time or left it open all the time.

i'll be home tomorrow afternoon and post my stories and answer any questions people have.

thanks for the support and concern, etc.

later,
rob
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Sorry about your engine, but it sounds like a great adventure!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

robonz23 wrote:i will post tomorrow on my site (and probably here also) telling almost the whole saga. i will not know the whole saga until tulsa scooters checks out my bike and tells me what's wrong but my scooter died in the d.c. area and i had to take it to two scooter shops to try and get a diagnosis.
Maybe Philip McCaleb will say you put diesel in it. :wink: Seriously, it was a huge pleasure to meet you and you dad. Sorry your Buddy quit on you in DC, but nobody can say you didn't give 101% on the Cannonball because you totally did.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Oh man, Rob...so close, that sux! We were all rooting for you and I'm happy to hear you're taking from the experience just that...the experience. Man...I hope your scoot is an easy (and cheap) fix.

2010 here you come!
rajron

Post by rajron »

Congratulations on going as far as you did!
Hope the scooter is easy to fix.

That was a very cool you did.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:
robonz23 wrote:i will post tomorrow on my site (and probably here also) telling almost the whole saga. i will not know the whole saga until tulsa scooters checks out my bike and tells me what's wrong but my scooter died in the d.c. area and i had to take it to two scooter shops to try and get a diagnosis.
Maybe Philip McCaleb will say you put diesel in it. :wink: Seriously, it was a huge pleasure to meet you and you dad. Sorry your Buddy quit on you in DC, but nobody can say you didn't give 101% on the Cannonball because you totally did.
Rob, sorry to hear it gave out so close to the end. FWIW, the other riders have been giving you major props.

If you're planning to go again in 2 years, I'm very curious to know what you'd do differently. As I wrote on MV, I've realized that if I'm going to ride, I need a lot more wrench time and expertise and probably another scooter to really customize.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Ouch! That's like being a hot babe swimmer in the Olympics and getting second place by 0.01 seconds. Nice job though. Soooo close.
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Wow Rob, bummer.
But you did something you won't ever forget. You apparently did it really well. I mean most of the MV'ers could have cared less about my ride on the Buddy125, after 22k on the dam thing. But they were sure giving you props!!!

I hope it was an incredible experience...keep us posted on the condition of the bike...and can't wait to hear more of your stories!!!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:...If you're planning to go again in 2 years, I'm very curious to know what you'd do differently.
Think about riding a SYM HD200. Go check the points on the Cannonball site. It looks like Patrick would have won the whole event on an almost-stock HD200 if he had been running in the 250 auto class. Patrick's HD200 had an auxillary gas tank and a modified seat. AKAIK, that's it. The only problem he had the whole time was the stand broke fairly early in the event.
jperkins

Post by jperkins »

Rob, since you had a nearly stock bike do you suppose Tulsa scooters can warranty it out?

surely the external gas can wont void it?

Good Luck
MB Member #322
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Alix B wrote:Wow Rob, bummer.
But you did something you won't ever forget. You apparently did it really well. I mean most of the MV'ers could have cared less about my ride on the Buddy125, after 22k on the dam thing. But they were sure giving you props!!!

I hope it was an incredible experience...keep us posted on the condition of the bike...and can't wait to hear more of your stories!!!
Hey, as an MVer you inspired me to buy a Buddy AND ride it from Cleveland to San Francisco. Plus you were promoting peace. The most noble cause there is!

Alix, don't sell yourself short. Lots of people here and on MV are amazed at what you did.

Rob, we thank you for all you have done to show the world what a Buddy can do! I have to do it in 2010.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jperkins wrote:Rob, since you had a nearly stock bike do you suppose Tulsa scooters can warranty it out?
I don't know whether the dealer or Genuine would choose to do this as a warranty repair, but mechanical failures due to this type of riding aren't covered.

Under Warranty Exclusions: "Any damage that results from hard driving due to a race, rally or operation in a location not generally used for driving;"

There's also an exclusion for "use under abnormal conditions."
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

I'm with oldhogrider! I also knew the Buddy was up for anything when I met you. I bought my Pamplona and have no fear of riding it anywhere. AND I wore my PEACE scooter t-shirt to work today! My students thought it was really cool when I told them your story.
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

teacherquinn wrote:

I'm with oldhogrider! I also knew the Buddy was up for anything when I met you. I bought my Pamplona and have no fear of riding it anywhere. AND I wore my PEACE scooter t-shirt to work today! My students thought it was really cool when I told them your story.
Rob may have earned us some serious Buddy respect over on MV. Many of the riders who posted there had great things to say about him and the Buddy. Props!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

congrats Rob on your ride. You are a winner in our book. Looking forward to hearing road stories when you are rested