Fighting the Cold in OK. . .tucano urbano's termoscud?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lylee

Fighting the Cold in OK. . .tucano urbano's termoscud?

Post by lylee »

Turns out I've been lurking on this site since accidentally hitting the 'kill' switch on my buddy, this was followed by extreme panic. Found the answer here :D

Now I'm trying to figure out a way to ride more--despite the cold. I don't do anything with water, whether frozen, falling, falling and frozen. . .if there is water involved I either take the bus or talk my way into a ride. That said, I want to ride! I'm also tired of the long-john, gets very very old for a commute, and limits what I can wear to work.

So I checked out a "lap apron" at Atomic Brown's yesterday. Couldn't figure out the straps, the staff couldn't help, and it seemed a bit big for my Buddy. I promptly went home and scoured the internet (including this site).

I think I've decided on the termoscud from Tucano Urbano but would like to see if anyone has tried it with a Buddy? What size did you order? (Talked to a super helpful chap in Cincinatti about this, so I have an idea.) Is anyone else in Oklahoma interested in splitting an order since shipping is more than the purchase price (still cheaper than anything domestically)?
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

I wear leather chaps. I got my Pink Tink at Atomic last June. Getting her ready to consign into the shop real soon. I want to get a Q-Link Legacy like my husbands.
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
lylee

Post by lylee »

I've thought about the chaps. (Actually, I've thought a million things as I slowly lose feeling in my legs on my way to work.) Can you wear skirts with chaps? How hard are they to put on?

L

PS I also often think about how I wish I'd gotten a pink one :( Compromised with my husband.
rajron

Post by rajron »

I’m weak so I wait till it gets warmer before going out on the scoot.
lylee

Post by lylee »

Actually, is anyone interested in ordering anything else from the wheelup website that we could share shipping on?

L
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

I've done a few "mods" to mine. Changed the white seat to black(now has pink cammo seat cover on top of it) switched out all the inside pink panels to black,black hand grips. Dosn't look quite so "Barbie Doll" now. :P
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

lylee wrote:I've thought about the chaps. (Actually, I've thought a million things as I slowly lose feeling in my legs on my way to work.) Can you wear skirts with chaps? How hard are they to put on?

L

PS I also often think about how I wish I'd gotten a pink one :( Compromised with my husband.
What color did you end up with? My husband (or DH) had a Cream one for about 4 months, then got a Blur... for 3 days :shock: then finally settled on the Legacy. All bought at Atomic. Pam,Steve, Shelly and the rest of the "gang" are super people to work with. We all got together before Christmas(about 20 people) and rode around Nichols Hills to look at the lights. Then we went to Starbucks for hot chocolate. Had a blast!
lylee

Post by lylee »

Mine is orange--which I like (just not love). My husband is worried that at night in some neighborhoods pink screams "vunerable girl". I had to talk him into the scooter idea, so I compromised. And the orange is pretty cool.

We got ours from Atomic Brown too. They are super friendly. Sounds like the Christmas light trip was really nice. Our neighborhood goes crazy for Halloween, so Christmas is a bit more understated and I miss it.

L
mybetty

Post by mybetty »

i wear snowboarding pants over my real pants. they are warm, windproof, waterproof, and cheap. i paid less than $30 for them. i think it is a pain in the butt to layer warmth under real pants only to strip down once i reach my destination, and with the snowboarding/ski pants over my jeans i just have to peel off the top layer. and i had no trouble finding a roomy pair of mens ski pants to fit over my pants! they also scrunch down to nothing for storing under the seat! hope this helps!
EBee

Post by EBee »

mybetty, that's interesting. I seriously considered a ski jacket for that very reason...it was well made, tough, and bright orange for visibility but I worried it would'nt be enough road rash protection...the pants, however, are a super idea.
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
paige

Post by paige »

avidgirl

Post by avidgirl »

If you know which thermoscud you are looking for, you might try ebay to get a (slightly) better price or cheaper shipping.

I'm interested in which size you think will fit the Buddy, so please share the info is you don't mind.
Leigh

Creme Buddy 125
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Was the lap apron you found confusing at Atomic Brown the Corazzo lap apron? If not, you can see a photo of it on the Modern Vespa forum: http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic8899.html. Looks like it may just have one strap around the waist.
toga28

Post by toga28 »

another orange buddy in OKC...wonderful! i, too, have simply warn a pair of adidas windpants over my jeans/slacks and it made a significant difference in temperature. i have a 12 mile commute, still hanging tough w/ my brain bucket & scarf.

but, boy am i ready for spring.
-Andy Moore
Orange Buddy 125
Covets thy neighbor's Stella
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

I bought motorcycle pants (Tourmaster) with zip-out lining. Windproof, waterproof, reflective side piping, etc, with knee and hip armor. They were $119.00 but a lot were more costly and I didn't like the fit. Keeps me dry and warm all year.

My biggest thing is my hands freeze, particularly my right thumb. Even with the windshield those fingers get cold. Hand warmers have been recommended but I found a pair of 40g Thinsulate waterproof, windproof gloves at Target for $10.00 and they seem to be doing the trick.
lylee

Post by lylee »

The friendly people at the shop in Cincinatti says that the best fit is R151. This is total heresay.

I'm planning to but my order in today or tomorrow. (I'll check out ebay first, promise.) I promise to let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks everyone for the many suggestions, we should be a think tank. Still, as a wanna be engineer, I think the attached to the bike apron is the way to go. (My husband would like to add that it's really the "ooh cool gadget and clips" that I like.) I hate taking on and off clothes (that's what I've been doing up until now). I also think the scooter skirt (whether corazzi, scooterskirt, or italian) is decent idea but I don't want to have to carry it with me all day at work. I don't have an office and what I bring I have to carry.

We'll see.

Again if anyone has something from wheelup that they'd like to order, I'd love to share the shipping.

L
lylee

Ordered!?!

Post by lylee »

Oh my gosh. . .

Cross your fingers. . .

my termoscud is on the way!
lylee

Arrived!!!

Post by lylee »

Oh it arrived!!!! My termoscud....

Not that I need it these days, it has been so beautiful here in OKC. Wow, talk about a February thaw!!!

I just put it on, easy enough. There are instructions in like ten language, something for everyone. Very well designed. Color coded straps. All around, so far so good.

Now I'm going to go drive around and see what it's like!! YiPEEEE!!!!!!!

L
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

That was fast. Would love to see a photo of it when you have a chance. Just curious to see what it looks like on a buddy.
lylee

Post by lylee »

I don't have a digital camera . . . if I did I would get one up.

I must admit it looks a little silly :) Kind of like a scooter sleeping bag!

Even though we're having 70 degree weather here (WOW WOW WOW), the mornings are still cold. My ankles in particular love it--I wear heels alot and even with jeans over my nylons on the way to work, my ankles use to freeze.

I'm still adjusting straps...

And it needs cold weather to prove its worth...

I'll see if I can find someone with a camera
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

Pictures!!

No camera phone?
lylee

Post by lylee »

I do have a camera phone . . . can't seem to email things though. . .

Is there someone who has a phone that I can send to, who can then get that picture onto the computer? If there is such a person, I will post pictures.

FYI: There is someone else who has recently got a termoscud and has posted great pictures. He has a sunset buddy like me, but he has all this stuff. It is totally tripped out-- very cool. Me, I wimped out from buying a top box.