Post what you paid OTD for your buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rossini

Post what you paid OTD for your buddy

Post by rossini »

I'm interesting in gathering the following info from everyone:

1. Date of purchase (month/year is fine)

2. What model/year Buddy did you buy?

3. New or Used?

4. Location (city, state, dealership)

5. What was your base and out the door price paid?
axiom007

Post by axiom007 »

2006 sunset
Oklahoma City
new
01/09/07
If you are gonna do it, make darn sure the juice is worth the squeeze.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

1. Late June, 2006

2. 2006 Buddy 125

3. New

4. Metro Scooters, Cincinnati, Ohio

5. $2,870.00 out the door
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

This is a topic I will not answer and I would encourage fellow Buddy owners in Cincinnati not to answer. Metro Scooters, a gret dealership, have sold their Buddy's at list + freight. If by chance Dave or Seth worked out some kind of deal and sold a scooter for less than that price and other Buddy owners found out, it could cause some ill feelings.

Just my opinion.

Dave
rossini

Post by rossini »

The point of this really isn't to expose and make people feel like they got ripped off. There are multiple reasons why a dealership might cut a deal to someone. Inventory, season, other factors in the package (additional accessories) etc... can all contribute to this and I don't think simply saying what you paid OTD for the scooter is doing anyone a disservice. With that said, if you are really worried about that, simply don't list the dealership. Problem solved. The information is still a value to current and prospective Buddy owners as a frame of reference.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I paid $6500 cash at Metro.

I think I need to have a talk with Seth.

kidding, I'm kidding!

Out the door price can be very different from place to place depending on local licensing practices and fees.

PS - Metro really is a great scooter dealership, I would not hesitate to send someone there for a new scooter and have done so several times. The important thing to me is not the absolute lowest price but what kind of experience you had there. Were they helpful? Did they treat you with respect? Did they answer your dumb noobie questions before and after the money changed hands? Did they have a restroom you could use?
Kevin
AYPWIP?
jperkins

$$$$

Post by jperkins »

1. September 2006

2. 06 125

3. New

4. Tulsa, OK, Tulsa Scooters

5. $2600 OTD
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I seem to be coming down with something so I'm not thinking too clearly this morning. I'm having trouble figuring out what use this information would be. Different states have different taxes and registration rules. Buddys and most other scooters have pretty tight margins, so there's not a whole lot of wiggle room to negotiate. What's left is freight and set up costs. I would imagine that all shops will pass on the freight charge so all that leaves is set up costs, the "dealer prep" of the 2 wheeled world.

If you live in a town with one place that sells Buddys would you travel a few hundred miles to "save" a $100? Sort of defeats the purpose.

I can see where a list like this could help with used prices but not new.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
rossini

Post by rossini »

Well my original post asks for used and/or new as one of the questions. And the question regarding what you paid also asked for base and OTD even though everyone seems to be only giving OTD. :)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I paid MSRP for a new 2006 Buddy 125 last Aygust. Reasonable dealer prepand shipping. Tax tag and title...nothing the dealer can do about them! I was happy with the deal and with my dealer.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

lobsterman wrote:I paid $6500 cash at Metro.
PS - Metro really is a great scooter dealership, I would not hesitate to send someone there for a new scooter and have done so several times. The important thing to me is not the absolute lowest price but what kind of experience you had there. Were they helpful? Did they treat you with respect? Did they answer your dumb noobie questions before and after the money changed hands? Did they have a restroom you could use?
Then you got a better deal than me at Metro. No, they did not treat me with respect and did not let me use their restroom (smart choice). But they did give me beer. Plus, Seth comes over and rides with me in the snow.

Dave
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

gt1000 - We agree once again.
lou76

Post by lou76 »

ScooterDave wrote:gt1000 - We agree once again.
stop all this agreeing at once...
NarMeowZippy

Re: Post what you paid OTD for your buddy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

rossini wrote:I'm interesting in gathering the following info from everyone:

1. Date of purchase (month/year is fine) - August of 2006

2. What model/year Buddy did you buy? - 2006 Buddy 50cc

3. New or Used? - Brand New!

4. Location (city, state, dealership) - Seattle, WA - Ducati of Seattle (best customer service ever!!!)

5. What was your base and out the door price paid? - I think I paid $1,800 without taxes
It's Scooter-rific!!!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

1. Date of purchase (month/year is fine) December 2006

2. What model/year Buddy did you buy? '06 Buddy 125

3. New or Used? Fresh off the crate

4. Location (city, state, dealership) Philly, PA http://www.philadelphiascooters.com

5. What was your base and out the door price paid? I've had at least three people ask me how much it costs, and after the first time, I stopped telling strangers a number. The first person to ask me responded with an insulting, "You paid about $3k for that?!" and rolled his eyes. Now my stock answer is, "Less than you'd think, but more than you'll ever know." And to that, I got the reply, "What? Fifteen hundred? Two grand? How much, come on you can tell me!" Sure I can, but I won't.

And you want to know what really chaps my hide? People who are driving their car or truck or SUV or whatever, go out of their way to flash their lights, honk their horn, or lean out their window with their thumbs up (WHO'S STEERING?!) in order to tell me how much they just love my scooter, but then proceed to all but run me off the road. Jerks.

In short (ha!), I paid dearly for my scooter, but it has been well worth it. So there.
ModBud #442
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

lobsterman wrote:I paid $6500 cash at Metro.
What? Dave and Seth actually charged you? Just joking, too!

I'm with Dave, Lobster and the others: We have a good dealership in Metro here in Cinti and wouldn't want to do anything to put a dent in that relationship. They've shown a lot of patience with this noobie.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

ScooterDave wrote:Then you got a better deal than me at Metro. No, they did not treat me with respect and did not let me use their restroom (smart choice). But they did give me beer. Plus, Seth comes over and rides with me in the snow.

Dave
No doubt they had their reasons for both disrespect and beer. :P

Kind of harsh to give you a beer without letting you use the restroom though.

Seth taught me how to ride a scooter and delivered it to my house. I don't remember seeing either one of those things on an invoice.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I live midway between two dealers. One is a motorcycle dealer, actually a little closer to home, that also sells Buddys They really aren't very interested in scooters. The other is Surfside Scooters. These people are into scooters! I bought from them, never even asked the motorcycle dealer for a quote, and always feel welcome when I stop in! They also organize group rides that I am planning on joining. Thats the kind of place I like to do business with.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

lou76 wrote:
ScooterDave wrote:gt1000 - We agree once again.
stop all this agreeing at once...
Another MB feel good moment! I love these!

Hey, just the fact that we could disagree on something without too much fur flying makes agreeing on other stuff that much more genuine.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800