Worst Drop Yet

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

hermitgirl

Worst Drop Yet

Post by hermitgirl »

So Friday, it's pouring. I don't really want to drive in it, but I had class to get to. It had been raining for a while, so I knew the roads weren't newly-slick. (For Bay Area folkish, I take Central from SJ to Mountain View/Los Altos every day. )

I'm at a left hand light turning onto the Expressway, and it flips green. I make my turn, and my back wheel slides. I overbalance to the right, and down I go, on my right hand side. Shoulder, then head. My bike flies forward, I skid into the other lane on my back. Fortunately, I was at the front of the line (no, not splitting it), and the cars were able to see me in time. I don't even want to think what could have happened had I been immersed in traffic.

I was an idiot and took my helmet off. I did a quick mental check, and felt okay, but mostly I was concerned that my scooter was dead, or that a car wouldn't see me, so I lifted my head to stand up. I hear someone come up behind me, yelling at me to stay down on the ground. He did the same thing I'd do to anyone else, and positioned my head straight. Mind you, it's pouring rain.

A few folks stopped, someone called 911. I kept telling them I didn't want an ambulance (student budget ;) ) They really brought out the band with three police cruisers, two firetrucks, and an ambulance. I actually felt guilty over all this, since I felt perfectly fine, just really annoyed I was missing my class.

Long story short, the bike is okay. The kind people who showed concern and really took care of me are in my thoughts, I wish I could thank them. The officers were very nice, the paramedics as well.

I'm just SO glad Montgomery still runs. Today I woke up, bruised up and down my side (and some of my left leg, NO clue where that came from), and sore as hell. But it's good that it wasn't more serious!
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Yikes! Glad to hear you're mostly okay!

Can you take a bus or something when it's raining?

Be extra careful around those painted lines in the rain, as those will be slick no matter what!
jess

Post by jess »

Oh dear. Always sorry to hear about someone going down. I hope you heal well. I'm still recovering from a nasty spill myself, and it was a month ago.

(Ibuprofen, Ibuprofen, Ibuprofen).
brat

Post by brat »

Sorry to hear about your crash. It sounds like you did what I did. The bruising on the other side of your body is more likely from the bike or one leg hitting the other. I am happy to hear it was nothing more than bruising.

Ice is your friend today!! And get some Arnica for the bruising. It really does help. I am also happy to hear the bike is ok.

Do your self a favor. Take the bike out in the rain again before you HAVE to do it. The first ride in the rain after I went down, I felt like I wanted to white knuckle it the whole ride. It took a bit to not feel like the bike was slipping. Also make sure the steering is not off. If it is you might be able to someone to help you hold the front wheel and get it pretty straight again.

Good luck kiddo, I hope you feel better soon,
Susan
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Glad that you and Monty are both doin' [mostly] okay.

Oh, and hey, welcome to the club of people who've gone down. :wink: :P
Huh? What just happened?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yikes! So sorry to hear about your crash! Glad to hear you're up and not seriously injured.

I did exactly what you tried to do when I crashed: hopped right up off the street. But I didn't let anyone call an ambulance, which I should have allowed.

You may want to get Monty checked out by your dealer. Although it may still be ride-able, there may have been some damage to the frame, which you should definitely be aware of.

There's been a spike in crashes reported on MV and here the past couple months, many having to do with wet roads. Got to take it very slow when it's raining! Tires may seem to do fine when going straight but as a lot of people have experienced, they behave quite different in a turn on wet roads. I've had a couple very eye-opening slips. Yow.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Get well soon!! Sometimes the best thing to do is let others take care of you. :D

And after a wreck/trauma is when you are probably least able to determine if you need care or not because the shock and adrenaline will allow you to overlook/not realize the level of damage to your body. You just get in that fight or flight mode. Always best to be checked out by the professionals.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Glad to hear you're okay. There's already lots of good advice here, all I can offer is to echo what's already been said: take care of yourself and get your Buddy checked out.

Like many, I ride year round in most types of weather. I draw the line at snow and ice but I also normally won't ride into work in the morning if it's already raining. It's one thing to get caught in the rain, I guess I just feel like I'm inviting trouble if make the decision to brave rotten weather in the morning.

It is encouraging that the bystanders rushed to your aid the way they did. Just when I'm feeling like we humans are a real waste of talent I hear something like this that's really positive. Hope you're back to "normal" soon!
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

hermitgirl,

Glad you're OK. I have no sage advice for you, just my prayers for a speedy return to normal.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Good to hear you're not seriously hurt. Also thankful to hear that there were people who came to your aid so quickly. I'm originally from Menlo Park and am aware of how busy the traffic can get on Central Expressway. Heal well!
ivyall

Glad you're okay!

Post by ivyall »

Glad to hear you're okay! Take it slowly and be kind to yourself.

Ivyall