headlight modulator install

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

hyuuu

headlight modulator install

Post by hyuuu »

Hi all,

I got a quite a big project im gonna work on during the weekend. They are: running lights and PIAA headlight, big because I don't know anything about electronics.

I'm thinking, while I am at it, is it possible to install a headlight modulator with the PIAA headlight? Or do I need to have a special headlight? what kind of modulator would you recommend?

thanks +!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

The PIAA HS1 SUPER PLASMA GT-X is a direct replacement 35W bulb. Nothing is needed. Just replace the stock bulb.

For the running lights, use Lil Buddy's wiring adapter (there's a thread in the for sale forum). I recommend using LED bulbs to avoid battery drain.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
hyuuu

Post by hyuuu »

oh i know those, I am thinking about the headlight modulator, I am not sure how it works in terms of installing it.

will the headlight modulator comes with a bulb? Or do I stick the headlight modulator and then the PIAA bulb on top of it?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

hyuuu wrote:oh i know those, I am thinking about the headlight modulator, I am not sure how it works in terms of installing it.

will the headlight modulator comes with a bulb? Or do I stick the headlight modulator and then the PIAA bulb on top of it?
Most modulators are just boxes that wire in and alternate the flow of current to the light. Should be able to use with any bulb, I think. The specs for the specific model should let you know.

Depending on where you live, you may also be required by state law to install a switch to turn the modulator off after dark.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
hyuuu

Post by hyuuu »

sorry for being lazy but since we live in the same state ericalm, do you happen to know the law off hand by any chance?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

hyuuu wrote:sorry for being lazy but since we live in the same state ericalm, do you happen to know the law off hand by any chance?
Yup, you'll have to have a switch to turn it off at night.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25251_2.htm
Motorcycles: Headlamp Flasher

25251.2. Any motorcycle may be equipped with a means of modulating the upper beam of the headlamp between a high and a lower brightness at a rate of 200 to 280 flashes per minute. Such headlamps shall not be so modulated during darkness.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Headlight modulators are legal here in California. You do need to rig a light sensor so it won't blink at night. Most people who run them say they don't shorten lightbulb life.Those who have never used one made up that myth. I just run the high beam in daylight 'cause I'm too lazy/cheap to install a modulator. I wired my own deadlights but the kit is easier. With 8000 miles on them I have had no battery issues with stock bulbs. My LEDs started going out almost immediately after they were installed.
hyuuu

Post by hyuuu »

got it! thanks for the replies guys