Gear Oil fill

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PeteH

Gear Oil fill

Post by PeteH »

I did a quick crankcase and gear oil change last night. This 100cc/ml syringe from Amazon really speeded up the job, and let me get a good 90ml of new gear oil into the hub, easy as can be.:

Scares me a little how (a) nowhere near 90ml came out when I drained it, and (b) how much smoother my rear wheel rotates now. :wha:
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Beauty supply stores are also a good source for them.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I checked in a medical supply store, but they were out of stock on the large ones. So it was more expensive than a cheapo disposable, but less than a specialized gear-oil-dispenser. Didn't think about a beauty supply store (it's a Y-chromosome thing, I guess :D)
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Ahhh in the world of scotering you need to think outside realm of normal. I have been known to run into a drugstore and buy a baby bottle to measure 2T oil when I forgot a mixing cup!
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

BuddyRaton wrote:Ahhh in the world of scotering you need to think outside realm of normal. I have been known to run into a drugstore and buy a baby bottle to measure 2T oil when I forgot a mixing cup!
I just keep my autolube tank topped off. None of that mixing cup bollocks required. :wink:

I have one of these little buggers for gearbox oil. Works pretty well if you have restricted access to an oiling hole.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I use large disposible syringes for quite a few projects around the house including hub refills. I get them from the local farm supply store which carries a good selection of vet stuff.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Got mine at Meijer. It came with a clear tube that came be used to extend the syringe.
ScooterMASS

Post by ScooterMASS »

Walmart carries a product called "The Mix Mizer" Same thing. Short money & great for gear oil jobs. It was kind of near the Automotive Dept.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-Gas-a ... r/16889145
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

az_slynch wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:Ahhh in the world of scotering you need to think outside realm of normal. I have been known to run into a drugstore and buy a baby bottle to measure 2T oil when I forgot a mixing cup!
I just keep my autolube tank topped off. None of that mixing cup bollocks required. :wink:

Oil Injectors Are for Chumps! :mrgreen:

Tampa 2 stroke actually had that made into a bumper sticker....it cracked me up....of course I bought one!
www.teamscootertrash.com

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

BuddyRaton wrote:
az_slynch wrote: I just keep my autolube tank topped off. None of that mixing cup bollocks required. :wink:

Oil Injectors Are for Chumps! :mrgreen:

Tampa 2 stroke actually had that made into a bumper sticker....it cracked me up....of course I bought one!
I have plenty of premix mopeds. Fortunately, the mix cup is fitted to the bottom of the gas cap. That's convenience right there, bubba!

As for being a chump, phbbt! I just dump a quart of Motul in and hit the road. I can get in and out of gas stations quicker than you bozos who are busy playing mixologist. :wink:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...