Muffler Question?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

metty

Muffler Question?

Post by metty »

My wifes 03 125 My BUBU is sounding strange lately. Louder and different sound. Can the muffler be bad or worn out. I do have a spare 150 muffler. Are the 150 and 125 mufflers the same. Thanks, Metty
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Check that the exhaust hasn't come loose from the engine or broken, Either of those reasons will make the bike louder.
metty

Post by metty »

Oh I should have stated that I did replace the crush washer between the head and the muffler. Before I blamed it on the muffler I thought maybe the valves were way off. So I did a valve adj. also and that did not help either. HUM??? Metty
metty

Post by metty »

Just did something else to check for exhaust leaks. I just started it put my hand over exhaust exit and it killed motor. Pulled my hand off exhaust and a puff of air blew out. So I think that would confirm that I don't have exhaust leak. What you think? Metty
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The exhaust tone will change over time and it will become louder as the baffles get compressed and the exhaust wears out.

I think the 150 and 125 stock exhausts are the same. The parts manuals may have the info.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

No, they're a little different (different output shape and heat shield), but since a Prima works on either, they may be compatible.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

I have a bad 150 exhaust if it makes a fun rattle noise it is bad the baffle is no longer good.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

The mufflers eventually get full of carbon and the packing gets hard. My scoot got louder every year with the Prima which I considered to be a good thing. :lol:
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Noticed mine is a little more loud and snarly than i remember this spring. I will check for leaks, but it could be age-related (the muffler, not me. If it were me, it would sound quieter!)
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

metty wrote:Just did something else to check for exhaust leaks. I just started it put my hand over exhaust exit and it killed motor. Pulled my hand off exhaust and a puff of air blew out. So I think that would confirm that I don't have exhaust leak. What you think? Metty
I thought you used a banana for that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HktV2yGtLv8
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

PeteH wrote:
metty wrote:Just did something else to check for exhaust leaks. I just started it put my hand over exhaust exit and it killed motor. Pulled my hand off exhaust and a puff of air blew out. So I think that would confirm that I don't have exhaust leak. What you think? Metty
I thought you used a banana for that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HktV2yGtLv8
You just take those two bananas!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I think Eric has a good point. An aged baffle is probably the culprit.
metty

Post by metty »

Just FYI. I tried to bolt on the 150 muffler to the 125 MY BUBU and the 150 muffler will not bolt up. It was to long. The holes towards the back of the muffler were off about a half inch. Metty