squirrels eating seat!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kazigami

squirrels eating seat!

Post by kazigami »

I don't know why but within the last few days squirrels have been eating on my seat. Does anyone else have this problem? Do they taste good? I plan on shaving down and recovering anyways, that's why I'm not crying, but I gotta figure something out before that. Any suggestions??
PM me if want to ride around Denver :)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I wanted to be the first to make a "nuts" joke, but I've got nothin.'

I've sure never heard of that. Did you recently carry home chinese food in your pet carrier or something?

If you gotta park outside and you don't want to use a scooter cover, a garbage bag over the seat would stop them, probably. Or a waterproof seat cover, like the "Cool A**" seat cover I'm reviewing for 2strokebuzz right now. it's silver and crinkly, so it'd probably keep squirrels away but then you might have a raccoon problem.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Randoscoot

Post by Randoscoot »

You should keep your nuts off the seat....... Sorry, I just had to. :D
carreybat

Post by carreybat »

Randoscoot wrote:You should keep your nuts off the seat.......
and so they start. :D
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Seriously, clean the seat. The chemical smell will probably keep them away.

My cat keeps clawing up my seat. If he keeps it up he will land up like this cat: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... ython.html
Last edited by pcbikedude on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

armor all it, they will slide right off
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Ray Knobs wrote:armor all it, they will slide right off
and so will you! NEVER armor all your seat, I learned the hard way.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

pepper spray might be bad if you wear shorts though
kazigami

Post by kazigami »

My friend suggested lynx urine. I guess you can buy it at a sporting store. Hmmm...
I will check out that shiney seat cover, maybe duck tape a cloth with lynx piss underneath it :)
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

maybe people pee
rayk

Post by rayk »

Boy this post is going down the toilet. :bleh:
MB #2932
Ride safe.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Sitting on Lynx urine. Now there's something sure to improve your social life... "tell me, what is that unusual cologne that you're wearing? I'm not sure I've ever smelt that before. Is it French?" :lol:

(no offense to the French...)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Sitting on Lynx urine. Now there's something sure to improve your social life... "tell me, what is that unusual cologne that you're wearing? I'm not sure I've ever smelt that before. Is it French?" :lol:

(no offense to the French...)
OUI OUI!
kazigami

Post by kazigami »

Man, I don't know what's worse: urine on my seat or holes... I gotta figure something out soon before I put the new leather seat cover on, if they chew that I WILL cry!
About the nuts on the seat, sorry down have any :)
And I really don't carry food in the pet carrier because I don't trust squirrels anyways.
thecarver61

Post by thecarver61 »

Squirrels and many wild animals are attracted to salt even when in sweat. I once had a porcupine eat the ankle lining of my boots while backpacking. What I'm suggesting is perhaps you're packing salted nuts!? :D
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:pepper spray might be bad if you wear shorts though
That's the route I was going to suggest. Is he chewing around the edges? Then you could just give those areas the treatment. We had a squirrel that was trying to chew through a plastic tote on our deck. I had extra bird food in it. After I hit it up with tabasco the squirrel left it alone.

Or maybe it was the threat that I had a recipe for squirrel stew!~! :lol:
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
kazigami

Post by kazigami »

They have been chewing on the top but all they way to the far back of the seat. Even if I had nuts (salted or non) I don't think they would ever be there! The tabasco might stain my clothes, maybe vinegar until I figure out something hopefully not urine related :)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

What about trying some of that spray stuff sold to stop cats clawing furniture? I don't have a cat but from what I hear it tastes terrible. I'm pretty sure they sell it at pet stores.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Chili powder or red pepper. Put it on the seat once as bait. Let the little critters have a taste. They're smart, probably won't come back. Dust it off and go. If that doesn't work, I have a great recipe for fried squirrel, squirrel gravy and rice. UM UMMMM!
Last edited by DennisD on Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I vote to treat this tree rat just like when you find one of it's cousins has been munching on your cornflakes.

Perhaps fire a shot across the bow with one of those glue traps they make (course this runs the risk of finding the glue trap stuck to your scooter) for the critter.

If you prefer something a bit kinder they have this somewhat sticky but not too sticky stuff that you can buy at pet stores that is to discourage pets from laying on the couch or whatever, you might give that a try. They make various sprays and such for furniture for the same purpose.

I know human hair helps to repel deer (it works too-I cut my son's hair and sprinkle it over my garden and when the neighbors' gardens are nibbled to nothingness I have almost no damage at all) maybe raid a hairbrush and see? Doubtful, but maybe...

Personally, I would booby trap the whole area with spring type mousetraps. Then, sit back and wait for the show to start. :rofl: *

My guess is they are looking to line a nest with your seat's guts. :?

*Yeah, I have a mean streak when it comes to rodents. I live in the country and every autumn I go to war in my circa 1850s house to evict little squatters seeking a warm shelter.

-v
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Vic wrote:

-v
So make it easier for them. Leave a wad of insulation outside and let them plunder that. Maybe being easier it will distract them from the seat. Okay, sprinkle the insulation with some salt just in case its attracting them.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

DennisD wrote:
Vic wrote:

-v
So make it easier for them. Leave a wad of insulation outside and let them plunder that. Maybe being easier it will distract them from the seat. Okay, sprinkle the insulation with some salt just in case its attracting them.
You do that and I promise they'll come back looking for the rest of it. Squirrels are extremely smart. The ones around here ended up in a stalemate with my cat. I actually witnessed one squirrel acting as bait for kitty while there were 10 others in the tree above with acorns. Yes, the cat went for the bait and yes, those buggers have really good aim!

I don't know about squirrels, but peppermint oil works on keeping ants out of the house. I get it as peppermint extract in the grocery store, or peppermint essential oil when I can find it in incense or aromatherapy shops. The more concentrated the better. Basically, it's so strong it overpowers their sense of smell and sends 'em reeling. Best thing is it doesn't bother me...I love peppermint! Not sure how well that would work on squirrels, though. Maybe test it out away from your scooter? Possibly some sunflower seed bird food or peanut butter inside a circle drawn in peppermint oil...if it takes them a while to brave it and they balk when they first discover it, you've got a winner.

Aside from that...umm. Bitter apple spray from the pet store? The only problem is my dog loved that stuff. The only thing that's never failed me, no matter what animal (except human) is Tabasco sauce. It stains like mad, though. Don't put it directly on your seat. You could put it on a rag or something similar and just lay that over the seat....
michelle_7728

Squirrels

Post by michelle_7728 »

Another thing you might think about...if they are chewing on your seat, are they chewing on anything else on your bike that might be rubbery...like your tires or brake hoses? Might want to check that out! :shock:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
kazigami

Post by kazigami »

I guess I'll wait to reline it until I get one of those shiney seat covers. Maybe I'll try the pet spray too. I always look to see if they are eating anything else, so far so good. Thanks for all the suggestions and nut jokes :)
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

We have pack rats out here, and they chew up wiring. I lost one Lincoln Town Car to the little bastards, and had to have one scooter rewired a couple of times. Since then I've shot them, poisoned them and even dispatched one with a shovel. A less violent means of discouraging rodents is to leave a pan full of used kitty litter under your scooter; they hate that smell!
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Perhaps a cover for the scoot might be helpful... might have to make it snug on the bottom so that the squirrel doesn't try working its way underneath and having his way with your seat.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Cheshire wrote:I actually witnessed one squirrel acting as bait for kitty while there were 10 others in the tree above with acorns. Yes, the cat went for the bait and yes, those buggers have really good aim!
Squirrels are wily and evil little bastards. They're also well organized. In 2005, squirrels attempted to take over a Russian city. Fortunately, they were defeated when a crack U.S. black ops team was sent in to prevent the rodents from getting their paws on a stash of nukes the Russian mafia had purchased after the collapse of the USSR.

Go Joe!
Sorry, couldn't resist. Now if the thread goes to hell it's my fault.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
kazigami

OMG

Post by kazigami »

Wow that is one of the coolest pics ever! I need them watching my scooter ;)
Rob

Post by Rob »

ericalm wrote:Squirrels are wily and evil little bastards. They're also well organized. In 2005, squirrels attempted to take over a Russian city[/url]. Fortunately, they were defeated when a crack U.S. black ops team was sent in to prevent the rodents from getting their paws on a stash of nukes the Russian mafia had purchased after the collapse of the USSR.
Sorry, couldn't resist. Now if the thread goes to hell it's my fault.
Not to mention that it's a well known fact that many squirrels have coke and alcohol problems.

Just doing my part move the thread a little closer to hell.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Shoot 'em. They'll keep doing damage. Trap/release them and they'll find their way back (over 35 miles). They have a taste for wiring (house/car/scooter), hoses, plastics, wood outdoor furniture, you name it. I've had literally THOUSANDS of dollars worth of damage due to squirrels. The only 100% effective way stopping damage is killing them. Once you see the damage/expense they can cause, you will never think of them as cute and cuddly again. When I see them all I think is MUST KILL! MUST KILL! KILL!!! KILL "EM ALLLLLLL!!!!!!! AAAAAHHHAAAAHHAAHahahaha!

Whew. Ok. All back to normal now.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

k1dude wrote:Shoot 'em. They'll keep doing damage. Trap/release them and they'll find their way back (over 35 miles). They have a taste for wiring (house/car/scooter), hoses, plastics, wood outdoor furniture, you name it. I've had literally THOUSANDS of dollars worth of damage due to squirrels. The only 100% effective way stopping damage is killing them. Once you see the damage/expense they can cause, you will never think of them as cute and cuddly again. When I see them all I think is MUST KILL! MUST KILL! KILL!!! KILL "EM ALLLLLLL!!!!!!! AAAAAHHHAAAAHHAAHahahaha!

Whew. Ok. All back to normal now.
But they are really tasty. Fried squirrel legs, squirrel gravy and rice. :D

My dad couldn't bear to kill the little critters so he captured them alive, spray painted their little feet red and transported them to woods about 5 miles from his house. None of the red footed little devils were seen again.
echochamber

Post by echochamber »

Park next to coyotes.

\e
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

DennisD wrote:But they are really tasty. Fried squirrel legs, squirrel gravy and rice. :D

My dad couldn't bear to kill the little critters so he captured them alive, spray painted their little feet red and transported them to woods about 5 miles from his house. None of the red footed little devils were seen again.
Mmmmm. Squirrel. You're making me hungry.

About a decade ago the Missouri Botanical Garden found themselves in a public relations flap. It was disclosed that every morning the groundskeepers would roam the gardens shooting squirrels with pellet guns. The PETA types had a conniption fit. Soccer moms were in an uproar.

But it came out that over the last 100 years, the botanical garden had tried every known method of humane control and failed miserably. The only thing that was 100% effective was shooting them. They were doing incredible amounts of damage in the gardens that was financially devastating. So they resorted to shooting them.

They did try live-trapping and found it to be a complete failure. They swore they were seeing the same squirrels back in the gardens. So they began tagging the ones they caught. They started out at 5 miles. Sure enough, they kept coming back. So they kept driving them further and further away each time. But they kept coming back. They finally gave up at 35 miles. The tagged squirrels still kept coming back.

So they stuck to their guns despite the public outcry. In fact, they asked the public to come up with a better more effective solution. There was none forthcoming. So shoot them they still do (the last I heard).
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

k1dude wrote:
DennisD wrote:But they are really tasty. Fried squirrel legs, squirrel gravy and rice. :D

Mmmmm. Squirrel. You're making me hungry.

About a decade ago the Missouri Botanical Garden found themselves in a public relations flap. It was disclosed that every morning the groundskeepers would roam the gardens shooting squirrels with pellet guns. The PETA types had a conniption fit. Soccer moms were in an uproar.

But it came out that over the last 100 years, the botanical garden had tried every known method of humane control and failed miserably. The only thing that was 100% effective was shooting them. They were doing incredible amounts of damage in the gardens that was financially devastating. So they resorted to shooting them.

They did try live-trapping and found it to be a complete failure. They swore they were seeing the same squirrels back in the gardens. So they began tagging the ones they caught. They started out at 5 miles. Sure enough, they kept coming back. So they kept driving them further and further away each time. But they kept coming back. They finally gave up at 35 miles. The tagged squirrels still kept coming back.

So they stuck to their guns despite the public outcry. In fact, they asked the public to come up with a better more effective solution. There was none forthcoming. So shoot them they still do (the last I heard).
Do you suppose there would be a public outcry if they kept the squirrels they shot and had a squirrel feast for the homeless maybe once a quarter? It might take that long to collect enough of those tasty little legs. Yum!
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

So many great ideas! I'd say put a pan of vodka under your scoot. The little buggers will be too drunk to get on the seat! With any luck they will then stumble out into traffic.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

olhogrider wrote:So many great ideas! I'd say put a pan of vodka under your scoot. The little buggers will be too drunk to get on the seat! With any luck they will then stumble out into traffic.
Best idea yet! :rofl:
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

I say if ya shoot it eat it! Someday I'm going to try squirrel and when I do I'll get my recipe here!

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

[quote="DennisD The PETA types had a conniption fit. Soccer moms were in an uproar. [/quote]
People Eating Tasty Animals :P
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

I have a huge problem with tree rats, as I have a large oak and a pear tree which attract them. However, this year has been much better. One of the chipmunks living in my retaining wall drowned in a trash can full of water( I did nothing to harm the critter) and it stayed there for a week until the trash collectors came. Ever since all the squirrels and chipmunks have vanished. Just putting that out there.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Post by Portland_Rider »

I've heard that a the way to train indoor cats not to chew on telephone and electric cords is to rub hot sauce on the cords.

idea:
Place some thick plastic tarp over and around your seat securing it down with something like a bungi cord. The smear some really horrendous hot-sauce on top of the plastic tarp.

One contact of the criters mouth to the hotsauce (even dried the residue will then liquify on the squirrels tongue and mouth) and they are in 'heat' to run away.