Physically carrying buddy downstairs?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gooder77

Physically carrying buddy downstairs?

Post by gooder77 »

Hi all,

I am not yet a Buddy owner, but hope to be at some point (I've got my wife semi-sold on the idea :D ). I was just thinking logistics for winter storage. I don't have a garage, but do have a basement. The problem is there are 6 steps going down leading to the basement. I already thought of trying to make a ramp, but there's a tight turn which would get me stuck.

Where are the best points on the Buddy to lift the scooter without damaging it?

-ryan
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Buy a cover. Ride on nice days. Even Maryland has nice winter days above freezing.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

DennisD wrote:Buy a cover. Ride on nice days. Even Maryland has nice winter days above freezing.
Agreed. Or if you own the driveway (not an apartment), buy one of those small outdoor sheds. I think they also make "pop-up" style motorcycle shelters.

Sometimes I pull the back end of Daisy into proper parking alignment by the rear rack, but I fully expect those bolts to snap off someday.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Or if the stairs arn't steep, buy a long 2x6 and roll it down(Don't ride it!)

I do this all the time to get my Buddy onto my porch for maintainance when its raining.
gooder77

Post by gooder77 »

If there are no other options using a cover outside may be the best bet. I was just concerned that leaving the Buddy out in 20-30 degree temps for weeks at a time might not be a good thing.

I was looking at those motocycle enclosures. Really nice, but a bit pricey. I've seen them for $325.

Thanks for the replies.
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

i can admit - i left my buddy out all winter long in the back yard under a cover..in Connecticut. i have no other option and didn't want to store her where i couldn't ride on those random nice days.

this winter she was covered in multiple feet of snow. more than once.

every so often i went out and spun the tires to avoid flat spots. i had her battery on a tender.

when i went to start her up in march, she hesitated, but after a few tries she sprang right to life.

maryland ain't got nothin on a new england winter. go for it.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Kaos wrote:Or if the stairs arn't steep, buy a long 2x6 and roll it down(Don't ride it!)

I do this all the time to get my Buddy onto my porch for maintainance when its raining.
Kaos has the smartest idea. I was about to suggest a similar thing. What I would do it go to the hardware store, go buy a 10 foot long, 1 foot wide board for 6-7 dollars, just walk the bike down slowly. It'll be safer than carrying it, much easier on your body.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I've always stored scoots in the basement before I had access to a garage. The Buddy is light. You'll be able to get one person in front at the handlebars and one in the back grabbing onto the frame. It shouldn't be too difficult. My b/f and I have brought both plastic- and metal-bodied scoots down and up our twisty basement steps in a 125 year-old house with no problems save for a bruise on lower leg. Just make sure you drain the gas. You'll feel more secure knowing the scoot is tucked away for the winter.

You might also want to throw a few barbeques this summer and invite some burly neighbors.
PeterC

Carrying Buddy downstairs

Post by PeterC »

Carrying - actually, rolling - Buddy downstairs is easy; gravity helps. Getting it back up again could be a bugger. One moment's loss of control, and you and Buddy are back in the basement, in a heap. An outdoor shed or portable shelter is a lot cheaper than a stay in the hospital and days out of work!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Don't forget he has a turn on the stairs that cause a problem.

Older gentleman here in town put together a pvc frame and covered it with a tarp using plastic ties. Not a bad idea if somewhat sheltered from winds. Stake down the corners with tent stakes and line if close to ground. His was about 6ft tall. Parked his scooter in it for several years. It was at the end of his drive next to his house.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

gooder77 wrote:If there are no other options using a cover outside may be the best bet. I was just concerned that leaving the Buddy out in 20-30 degree temps for weeks at a time might not be a good thing.
I agree that indoors is the best choice for winter but cold won't really hurt your Buddy. Moisture is by far the bigger concern. If you choose to store it outside under a cover or frame of some kind during the winter, simply remove the battery and store that inside.
gooder77

Post by gooder77 »

Kaos - I was thinking of using boards to create pathways down the stairs. I may have to just test it out to see if it works with my stairs.

It's actually only 4 steps not 6. But I still have a problem negotiating the 90 degree turn from down the stairs through the door. It's a real tight squeeze. When i bring my mountain bike through the basement I pretty much have the bike pointing up at the 12 o'clock position to naviate that turn.

I should probably post pics so you all can see what I'm talking about. I think if I use Kaos' idea and run a 2 x 6 down from a particular angle I'll have a straight shot into the basement.

Thanks again everyone :D
Vic

Post by Vic »

I do not have a garage and due to a pain in the nethers neighbor I won't have one in the near future. I do have a deck and use that for scooter, bicycle and such. I am going to go get some PVC and make a shelter for storage! Great idea, thanks!

-v