Locked my keys in my seat...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Animaetrix00

Locked my keys in my seat...

Post by Animaetrix00 »

I feel monumentally silly, but today was really lame and I pulled up at home all distracted. I pulled my keys (scooter+apartment) out of the ignition, put them in my jacket pocket, folded up my jacket and put it into the open seat, and closed it. As it clicked I realized what I had done.. my keys were locked in the seat!

So, I figure someone somewhere might have done this before. ~_~ I was going to call Motorsport tomorrow when they're open and the Search feature on the forums was kicking my ass, but for now..

I mean, I would hope it would be pretty difficult to pop open my locked seat and get my keys! But is it? Or is there some trick I can do, or Motorsport can do...

AAAAH!#!@#!@@! MY KEYS!!!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

If you PM me I can tell you how to open it. The method is not something that should be posted here (by anyone IMHO) as someone unsavory could potentially read it...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Vic

Post by Vic »

Kind of related but not exactly... I know I have seen it before but my search skills are pretty weak.

How do I fix it so that my seat latches easier? It will latch, but it usually takes me hopping on the scoot and bouncing up and down. I am okay with doing this at home where the neighbors already think I am nuts, but it looks pretty silly at the store and I haven't had the guts to do it out in the parking lot at work...

I know I read something, somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

-v
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Don't feel too bad. You're not the first and probably not the last!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Maybe we should start the "I've Locked My Key's In The Pet Carrier Club"? Wouldn't that be a proud membership :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

if all else fails, you can always use your roadside service for this. :)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Then again there's always the spare you rec'd or the 2 you had made on your way home the day you bought the scooter just in case...oh...never mind. You'll do that tomorrow. :wink:
purromaniac

Post by purromaniac »

Speaking of spare keys, I have key blanks available in the For Sale forum. Special pricing for Club members. :wink:
Animaetrix00

Post by Animaetrix00 »

Yeah, I think a spare is in order!! Thanks for all the advice guys. I has my keys back now. :oops:
db

Post by db »

Too funny, I just did the same thing last night and could not get in my house to get my spare key. I walked up to a grocery store and got some tools and unscrewed the seat, reached my hand in and got the keys out. What a pain in the ass that was and it was at midnight after being at work.

I feel your pain. Pretty easy to get under the seat though. Only the one screw
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Do the 'Super Secrete Pet Carrier Release' mod!!
I did it to my met the day I locked my keys in it. Did it to the Buddy two days after I got it home!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Vic wrote:Kind of related but not exactly... I know I have seen it before but my search skills are pretty weak.

How do I fix it so that my seat latches easier? It will latch, but it usually takes me hopping on the scoot and bouncing up and down. I am okay with doing this at home where the neighbors already think I am nuts, but it looks pretty silly at the store and I haven't had the guts to do it out in the parking lot at work...

I know I read something, somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

-v
Tech Library to the rescue!
topic1814.html
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

solution = spare key
rickko

How to add an emergency seat release in 15 minutes

Post by rickko »

ericalm wrote:Tech Library to the rescue!
topic1814.html
How come this thread topic8459.html was removed from the Tech Library? It described with photos how to make a simple 15 minute modification that adds a secret hidden emergency seat release to your Buddy so you can always unlatch your seat if necessary. I received many PMs from people it helped. In fact the missing thread included similar posts from grateful Buddy owners. Now it is gone!

Basically the mod goes like this. And with a little American ingenuity you can easily disguise its existence from all the bad guys out there that specifically look for owner added custom emergency seat releases (I'm being sarcastic).

Open seat then remove it (2 bolts)
1. Remove Pet carrier (pic 1) (4 screws & 2 bolts)
2. Remove gold seat latch/housing (pic 2) (2 bolts)
3. Turn over seat lever latch/housing and easily remove cable noting it's routing (pic 3)
4. Attach a wire (I used red for the camera) or string or shoe lace (wire is better) to the lever (pic 4) then reattach lever cable.
5. Route wire out to point where it can drop down under cowling (pic 5)
6. Cut it short enough that it isn't visible or tuck it away somewhere only you know where. (pic 6)

When you've locked your keys in the carrier, just reach up, find your release string and pull!

PIC #1 (Seat removed)
PIC #2 (Seat latch housing)
PIC #3 (Other side of seat latch housing with factory cable attached)
PIC #4 (Attaching a wire)
PIC #5 (Routing wire away from latch using tie-wraps to guide it)
PIC #6
(Wire hanging down inside right side under cowling)

Good luck!
..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
polianarchy

Re: How to add an emergency seat release in 15 minutes

Post by polianarchy »

rickko wrote:How come this thread topic8459.html was removed from the Tech Library? It described with photos how to make a simple 15 minute modification that adds a secret hidden emergency seat release to your Buddy so you can always unlatch your seat if necessary. I received many PMs from people it helped. In fact the missing thread included similar posts from grateful Buddy owners. Now it is gone!
It was removed because it gave easy access to people who should not have any access to one's scooter.
ModBud #442
broke

Post by broke »

polianarchy wrote:It was removed because it gave easy access to people who should not have any access to one's scooter.
So, the thief would need to:
1) Become a MB member
2) Read the tech library and find the thread about adding a custom seat pull
3) Find one of the 3 Buddys in the world that has this modification
4) Pop seat of said Buddy and steal... (in my case tools and clear visor)

Seems highly unlikely Poli.
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I pulled it until I had a chance to look at it and see if it was a shortcut to breaking into a Buddy. It was under review because I saw it but didn't really have time to give it a good read, so I temporarily moved it.

rickko: I should have PM'd you to tell you I was having a look at it.
I've read the thread and replaced it in the Library.

If you have a question about moderation, PM me. Please don't just re-post the content.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rickko

Post by rickko »

polianarchy wrote:It was removed because it gave easy access to people who should not have any access to one's scooter.
:D Haha, Parking your scooter on a public street gives one all the access they need! Public access + crowbar + 2 seconds = Seat popped!

I'd venture anyone intent on stealing stuff from your pet carrier probably has enough sense to unscrew the obvious accessible screw. But would he/she have enough sense to spend time searching for an emergency seat release pull? I really doubt it. What's nice is, it is not a factory feature so, most criminals wouldn't be looking for it. Most would rather have the entire scooter than just what is under the seat don'cha think?

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Oh yes, I did this on the bridge across Lake Champlain between Rouse's Point and Alburg. Spent a fair few minutes panicking, trying to brute force open the seat enough to reach in for the keychain.

Then I remembered about the trunk catch release cable and the routing. The solution is obvious if you think about it. Note: be sure you're jerking the cable, NOT the ignition wire.