I anti-thefted myself!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jbougere

I anti-thefted myself!

Post by jbougere »

Well, the good news is the front disk locks work. They stop your scoot. The bad news is... well... they're easy to forget.

I went to Trader Joes today, parked in the garage, and locked the front disk as there were no stationary objects to lock buddy to. After successfully scoring some deliciousness and a free milk crate to haul it back in, I popped in the key, gave it a little gas... and went nowhere. Yup, I forgot to unlock the bike.

After fiddling with the thing for a while I realized the locking pin that fits through the holes in the disk had been bent and/or broken. The lock no longer opens with the key. The lock itself is now jammed behind the front fork, between the fork and the break mechanism. From my noob perspective, it looks like I'm going to have to remove the front wheel and possibly the disk to remove the lock.

Has anyone had any problem like this in the past? Do I, in fact, need to remove the front wheel?

If I do need to remove the front wheel, can someone point me towards instructions on how to do that, exactly?

I'm also more than a little worried I just totaled my front disk, and possible the front breaks entirely... they appeared ok from the outside, but then, I don't really know what to look for.

If all else fails I'll have roadside assitance tow to Genuine of Arlington tomorrow morning... I was just hoping for a little deus ex machina if any was available!!

The sound my heart makes when it breaks sounds a lot like a broken front disk. :cry:
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

That's why I like the Xena, the alarm goes off when you straighten the wheel, which I turn and lock also just in case.

I can tell you for sure that others have done this, that is why they make these:
Attachments
Cord reminds you that the disc lock is attached.  Know it doesn't help you now, but it might help others.
Cord reminds you that the disc lock is attached. Know it doesn't help you now, but it might help others.
RemX1RRSW.jpg (13.38 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
jbougere

Post by jbougere »

Yeah, I had that cord attached to my handlebars. In my excitement to ride, I ignored it. (Note to self-- next time don't use an orange cord on an orange buddy...)
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

God that really sucks. So sorry. Hopefully it's not too much damage.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

sounds like you will need a new disk, the caliper will be fine. Just remove the front wheel and then the disk. I doubt you will be able to get the lock off without damaging the disk. :cry: Good luck!
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

ouch.. bend anything else? possibly the fork or the wheel?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Yuck. So easy to do. Sympathies.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

There's a rotor on ebay, it's in England.

It's late and I've only had my wheel off once, but I think this is all there is.
Remove the caliper
Remove the long bolt that holds the wheel in place
Take the wheel off
Remove the rotor w/ a metric allen

Again it's late/cold, I'll look in the morning to verify that's all there is, but it's easy to do.
-Justin-
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

How do you ignore the cord attached to your handlebars? Especially after loading the pet carrier. You can't put your hand on the bars without it getting in the way of operating your Buddy.

Sorry if I seem suspicious here. But you're asking us how to repair a Buddy that someone attempted to ride on with a disc lock engaged. Then we hear you implausibly ignored the safety cord. Then I notice you're a brand new poster here.

How do we know you didn't ruin a Buddy in a theft attempt and are now trying to repair it?
broke

Post by broke »

I can see it happening K1. Many times I've unlocked my handle bars and getting ready to hit the ignition when my Xena alarm goes off... If that alarm wasn't there I'd probably be in the same situation.

Besides, someone posting after stealing a bike wouldn't admit to ignoring their reminder strap. They would just say they don't use a strap. AND a thief is probably going to recognize the strap and not attempt to roll the bike forward in the first place.

I also believe you are going to need a new disc. How will you possibly remove a disc lock without damaging the disc? If the pin is jammed, you are going to have to cut it. The lock will be MUCH harder to cut through than the pin, but I can't see you cutting the pin without damaging the disc.
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

Oof, I've always been a bit paranoid about doing that to myself as well. The one thing that has saved me is my reminder strap, combined with the fact that at MSF, they ALWAYS made us get on from the left side of the bike. If I try to climb on with the reminder strap still on, my legs usually catch the strap.

I've actually considered getting a buddy key blank, grinding it down where it could slide into the ignition, but not turn, and affixing my reminder cord to that. Then I couldn't even stick the key into the lock without noticing the cord. That and my 500 other things I want to do with the Buddy when I have time/money.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

k1dude wrote:How do you ignore the cord attached to your handlebars? Especially after loading the pet carrier. You can't put your hand on the bars without it getting in the way of operating your Buddy.

Sorry if I seem suspicious here. But you're asking us how to repair a Buddy that someone attempted to ride on with a disc lock engaged. Then we hear you implausibly ignored the safety cord. Then I notice you're a brand new poster here.

How do we know you didn't ruin a Buddy in a theft attempt and are now trying to repair it?
So... he joined in February for when he would try to steal a scooter in April???
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

bluebuddygirl wrote:So... he joined in February for when he would try to steal a scooter in April???
That's how long it took him to figure out he better ask for help. :wink:
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

k1dude wrote:
bluebuddygirl wrote:So... he joined in February for when he would try to steal a scooter in April???
That's how long it took him to figure out he better ask for help. :wink:
Nice one :clap:
jbougere

Post by jbougere »

After reading through this, I'm seeing a couple mistakes I made... First, I didn't load the pet-carrier. I had just strapped my brand "new" milk crate to the rack with some bungees from my backpack, tied in my groceries, and was rearing to test the contraption out. Because I was up on the center stand, I got on the bike from the right side. The cord was looped around my left (rear) break lever and I guess I didn't feel it (or plain ignored it) when I held the lever to start the bike up.

I'm not denying the idiocy of the mistake. It's a blow to the wallet, but a much larger blow to my ego, for sure. :headache:

ZQ8- like you suggested, i tried to fiddle with the long bold to remove the wheel last night, but I only had a stray adjustable wrench and an allen set to help me out. Didn't try to take off the caliper. Then I realized, even if I got the disc off and was able to roll the bike, it's still 10 miles home, mostly uphill... I could try to ride it, I thought...but... how would I get it to stop? :shock:

So, this morning I had the bike towed from the TJ's lot with the help of Genuine's Roadside Assistance. We borrowed a palate mover from the store to get the bike up the ramp and then had to haul it onto the flatbed by hand. Big truck for a little scoot! This is the first warm weekend of spring, so the repair shop said they might have it ready by Monday or Tuesday. And at $89/hr for labor, i have definitely got to learn to do this myself eventually... I'm just hoping there's nothing else wrong with the front end.

Don't do like I do- get something that yells at you like the xena, or somehow make your cord more conspicuous. Hoot, Blue and Broke, i bow to your superior intelligence!
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Glad there wasn't more damage. Don't assume this is the last time. I did this TWICE on an 800 pound Harley! Good thing it had crash bars. There was no holding it up once my feet were off the the ground.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

I did similar gaff the one AND ONLY time I didn't lock my cable to a stationary object. Just threaded it thru the front wheel. Went for an hr walk, hopped on bike and (tried) to scoot away. It pulled the cable thru the fork once or twice. Less than $100 damage. Never again.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Look on the bright side: you've now got an excellent excuse to get the <a href="http://www.scooterworks.com/NCY_Brake_D ... 7.cfm">NCY disk brake</a>. Hell that's the only reason I have a 260mm disk on the Blur (that and a little bit of luck :) )
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
SamMax

Post by SamMax »

I went with the grip-lock since I know that I would do exactly what you did if I went with the disc lock... I also have a kryptonite lock but I use the sure grip for quick in and outs from the store...pic attached

Ps if you get one - don't take the rubber part out- I did at first and didn't realized that you could slide it right off. With the rubber in it, it doesn't budge/
Attachments
l_617c05be64ffe290fa02bce1ca670985.jpg
l_617c05be64ffe290fa02bce1ca670985.jpg (29.87 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
“I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security.
Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad.
Otherwise what is there to defend?”~Robert Redford
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

I have a new trick-

When I use my disc lock (even though it is an alarmed Xena), I put my scooter keys in the little bag the lock sits in. So... I don't forget.

Also, use the center stand and the steering column lock. Put the disk lock near the front top. That way if you do forget there are lots of motions to trigger the alarm.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

I have an piece of plastic that I use to cover the ignition when I use the disc lock. Can't put the key in until I remove the plastic. Removing the plastic reminds me of why I have it there in the first place.
jbougere

Post by jbougere »

Look on the bright side: you've now got an excellent excuse to get the NCY disk brake. Hell that's the only reason I have a 260mm disk on the Blur (that and a little bit of luck Smile )
You know, my dealer was having trouble getting a stock disk rotor in from genuine, so offered to put that swanky little deal on instead. I was all excited to get my scoot back faster and with a little bling when, WHOOPS, turns out he was missing the "adapter." I guess that little black part in the picture is actually an important part of fitting your brake around the larger NCY rotor...

So, the damage all in all wasn't as bad as it could have been. Definitely needed a new rotor, but brake pads and calipers seem to be ok. No other damage except to my pride. Total cost of repair (thanks to genuine's roadside assistance tow) was ~$100 for part and labor. Total turn around, however, was almost two weeks- purportedly due to difficulty getting a rotor from genuine, but I think more likely due to the fact that my scoot went to the shop over two beautiful weeks in late April.

Vespa Arlington said they're looking to get the grip-lock in sometime soon... I think either that or the xena will be my next security layer after the steering column and ginormo On Guard chain lock I've been using...
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Yep, that adapter swings the caliper out a little to fit around the larger rotor. Did you end up getting the NCY disk rotor or did you go with stock?
jbougere

Post by jbougere »

I went stock, and in hindsight I'm kicking myself. After the adapter snafu, my guys assured me that the OEM rotor would be in any day, so I held off on ordering the NCY (with adapter) in the interest of making a speedy return to scooting. Sadly, "any day" took two weeks.

Now I'm reading through the radical 161cc upgrade threads and I'm wishing I had preemptively purchased more front-brake power. Have you noticed a significant increase in stopping power with the NCY? Do you find the NCY is any more or less likely to lock up when stopping quickly?

Of course, I could just go get it anyways and turn the old new rotor into a clock (like in high-school shop class)! Or perhaps a casserole trivet? Or just save the rotor in case I'm dumb enough to do this again...
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I wouldn't say it's got more stopping power... maybe a tad. You have to keep in mind that the Blur's got some pretty amazing breaks in the first place. If anything, I can apply the breaks more often without worrying about them fading due to heat build up.

I wouldn't worry about the NCY rotor unless you do a lot of spirited riding (really aggressive slow/acceleration in curves, etc) or go to a track. If you've already got the stock replaced with stock, I'd stay with that and you'll be just fine.

There's of course the aesthetics of the NCY Rotor, but that's a personal decision.

I got nailed in a hit and run last October and the rotor was one of those things that worked just fine, but still nagged in the back of my mind that something might be amiss. When I stumbled upon the NCY rotor it was the perfect opportunity to put that tiny worry to rest. That's pretty much the only reason I have that on mine.

Not that you can see it unless I'm working on it, but my front tire matches my clutch bell now... it's a little silly :P
SCOOT3R

Post by SCOOT3R »

I am soo curious.. anywhere like food shopping, video games store, on and on where their scooters parking at, so theif can steal scooters?
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

SCOOT3R wrote:I am soo curious.. anywhere like food shopping, video games store, on and on where their scooters parking at, so theif can steal scooters?
scooters are very easy to steal even if they have a disc lock since you can just pick them up and put them in the back of a van or pick-up truck. The best thing to do is lock them to something and/or have really good insurance.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
TVB

Post by TVB »

SCOOT3R wrote:I am soo curious.. anywhere like food shopping, video games store, on and on where their scooters parking at, so theif can steal scooters?
It depends on how dangerous an area you're in. I park my scooter at work all day and at the stores I visit, and all I do is lock the handlebars (to the left), and take the key. That's enough to discourage any impulsive/casual theft. If you think there's a chance that someone (more likely two) might pick up your scooter and put it in a truck or some other set of wheels to carry it away, then you should lock it to something with a chain. But for me, where I live, that's way too much trouble for the incredibly small chance that someone might try to do that while I go in to the store for 15 minutes.
SCOOT3R

Post by SCOOT3R »

Guys , thank for reply and encourage.
jasondavis48108 wrote:
scooters are very easy to steal even if they have a disc lock since you can just pick them up and put them in the back of a van or pick-up truck. The best thing to do is lock them to something and/or have really good insurance.
I will ask my insurance angecy about my scoot.
TVB wrote:
It depends on how dangerous an area you're in. I park my scooter at work all day and at the stores I visit, and all I do is lock the handlebars (to the left), and take the key. That's enough to discourage any impulsive/casual theft. If you think there's a chance that someone (more likely two) might pick up your scooter and put it in a truck or some other set of wheels to carry it away, then you should lock it to something with a chain. But for me, where I live, that's way too much trouble for the incredibly small chance that someone might try to do that while I go in to the store for 15 minutes.
Yeah thats what i have thinking about getting chain, its more safe. ;)
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Just don't get the kind of chain they sell at hardware stores. That stuff is pretty easy to cut. You want chain that's meant for locking up motorcycles, scooters, or bicycles. The metal's been hardened to make it much more difficult to cut through.
SCOOT3R

Post by SCOOT3R »

Cheshire wrote:Just don't get the kind of chain they sell at hardware stores. That stuff is pretty easy to cut. You want chain that's meant for locking up motorcycles, scooters, or bicycles. The metal's been hardened to make it much more difficult to cut through.
Yeah.. I really never thought that go the hardware store and buy the chain.. However thanks for your advice.. Of course I must buy the specifiy locks for motor cycles, scooters on and on from motorcycle stores.. 8)
rickko

Post by rickko »

I've heard these reminders help:

Sorry to hear of your plight.

One tip on removing front wheel. Put scooter on center stand, then keep it tilted back by wedging something under the battery carrier or lower frame. That'll keep your front wheel off the ground. Easier to work on. Don't forget you've got the speedo connected to the wheel. It is removed easily when you pull the axle.
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
SCOOT3R

Post by SCOOT3R »

rickko wrote:I've heard these reminders help:

Sorry to hear of your plight.

One tip on removing front wheel. Put scooter on center stand, then keep it tilted back by wedging something under the battery carrier or lower frame. That'll keep your front wheel off the ground. Easier to work on. Don't forget you've got the speedo connected to the wheel. It is removed easily when you pull the axle.
why should i remove front wheel? brake system will destory if fork on the pavment or sidewalk or curb..
besha

Post by besha »

This just happened to me today. My battery is on the verge of death and I was so excited that my scoot started this morning that I tried to drive off with the lock on.

I called the motorcycle tow guy, and he and his people pushed and pulled at the wheel until the lock went all the way past the fork, then cut the lock off.

It doesn't seem to have damaged the disc, so, uh, I think I got off pretty lucky.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

SamMax wrote:I went with the grip-lock since I know that I would do exactly what you did if I went with the disc lock... I also have a kryptonite lock but I use the sure grip for quick in and outs from the store...pic attached

Ps if you get one - don't take the rubber part out- I did at first and didn't realized that you could slide it right off. With the rubber in it, it doesn't budge/
I have used one for a few years now..Its da bomb!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL