Tire sizes

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skidmark

Tire sizes

Post by skidmark »

Thinking about getting new tires. My 09 St.Tropez came with 100/90-10 tires, seems like most Buddys have 3.50 x 10s. Whats the difference in these two sizes? Any suggestions on tires or how to change them?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The 100/90 is a little wider than a 3.5 x 10. What brand tire is on your scoot now? I thought they all shipped with 3.5 x 10. Hm!

Tire recommendation: Continental Zippy 1. Probably the most widely liked tire in scooterdom.

As far as changing, I say save yourself the trouble and possible messed up rims and have a dealer do it.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Are the Zippy's tubeless? I can't tell by the description on scooterworks page.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yup, they sure are.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

If you want to replace with a whitewall, I found the Maxxis tubeless at scooterlounge.com for 44.95. Excellent price and the Maxxis tires are very good! I may go with Zippy's when I need to replace both, but I only needed to replace the rear and wanted to keep the cool look of the whitewalls.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
skidmark

Post by skidmark »

got Maxxis white walls on there now. I want to get away from the white walls, looking at the Michelins. I put over 100,000 miles on a set I had on my truck. I'm not expecting to get any where close to that from any scooter tire, but I am certainly impressed by the truck tires.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

skidmark wrote:got Maxxis white walls on there now. I want to get away from the white walls, looking at the Michelins. I put over 100,000 miles on a set I had on my truck. I'm not expecting to get any where close to that from any scooter tire, but I am certainly impressed by the truck tires.
The Michelins are good, too. I used to have the Pilot City tires on my Vespa. No complaints.
kmtscoot

Post by kmtscoot »

I see the Continental Zippy in Scooterworks and I also see Continental has some with a smaller tread pattern. Are there advantages/disadvantages to the different tread patterns?
Attachments
eraseme.gif
eraseme.gif (24.29 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
2008 Buddy 125 (sold)
2009 SYM RV250
1963 Karmann Ghia
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I still haven't got my Pirelli SL26s and I was looking at them again, what's the difference between a 100/90x10 and a 3.5x10? They both fit the Buddy no? Is one wider or something?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KRUSTYburger wrote:I still haven't got my Pirelli SL26s and I was looking at them again, what's the difference between a 100/90x10 and a 3.5x10? They both fit the Buddy no? Is one wider or something?
Yup, the 100x90 is wider.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

So given the option between the 2, I should go for the 100/90? It's cheaper anyway, I just didn't know.

Would the thinner ones be better for maneuverability?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I have a Zippy 1 on the back tire, and I liked the performance, but it sure has worn more quickly than the stock tires. I have about 4000 miles on it and it is way worn down. The stock tire on the front has almost 6000 miles and is still fine.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

ericalm wrote:
KRUSTYburger wrote:I still haven't got my Pirelli SL26s and I was looking at them again, what's the difference between a 100/90x10 and a 3.5x10? They both fit the Buddy no? Is one wider or something?
So is it wider in a good way or wider like too wide to fit? I've got a '07 125.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KRUSTYburger wrote:
ericalm wrote:
So is it wider in a good way or wider like too wide to fit? I've got a '07 125.
Honestly, I don't know if the 100x90 will fit. I was wondering that myself while looking at the Heidenau tires.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

It said on the Motorsports Scooters website that the Maxxis WWs for Buddys are 100/90x10, and I've seen lots of people put them on 125s too.
Is there any difference from year to year of what size tire they can take (as far as tread width)?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

lobsterman wrote:I have a Zippy 1 on the back tire, and I liked the performance, but it sure has worn more quickly than the stock tires. I have about 4000 miles on it and it is way worn down. The stock tire on the front has almost 6000 miles and is still fine.
I think that the rear tire will naturally wear faster than the front. I couldn't condemn a tire with that comparison. How did the Zippy's do compared to the stock tire that was on the rear (Shinko?).

The other thing to keep in mind is that while a tire might wear faster, the handling grip could very well be worth it. Harder (less grippy) tires will wear slower than softer compound tires, but the difference in the ride might very well make up for it.

Let us know how the stock rear tire did compared to the Zippy's. Also, your opinion: Do you think it's worth the lower life span of the tire?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KRUSTYburger wrote:It said on the Motorsports Scooters website that the Maxxis WWs for Buddys are 100/90x10, and I've seen lots of people put them on 125s too.
Is there any difference from year to year of what size tire they can take (as far as tread width)?
Nope! A tire that fits on one will fit on any of the others!
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

The 100/90-10 is definitely wider and a little bit taller. At least in the Pirelli SL26, tire sizes vary between manufacturers and even models.

But yes, both sizes fit the Buddy and I have no problem recommending the SL26 to anyone.

Imagewow, filthy. :oops:
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Hey Lagerhead, as you've had all three tires, what if any ride/handling differences did you notice between them?

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

Ok, In 2008 and 2009 Genuine put 100/90-10 Maxxis whitewall tires on it's largest scooter. In 2009 they came out with the Blackjack and put a 3.50 x 10 but no where in the literature do they say what make of tire. Can we assume that on the Genuine "premium" scooter that they would use what they feel are "premium tires". Does anyone know what brand of tire Genuine uses on the Blackjack?
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Hey Lagerhead, as you've had all three tires, what if any ride/handling differences did you notice between them?
Honestly, I didn't notice enough difference between any of the tires I've tried to make it worth worrying about.
I think most of the difference between tires is felt because you're going from worn out tires to new tires.
I'm pretty confident that I can buy just about any modern tubeless tire and forget about it's characteristics within 50 miles of riding.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Thanks for the info Lagerhead! :D
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Lagerhead wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Hey Lagerhead, as you've had all three tires, what if any ride/handling differences did you notice between them?
Honestly, I didn't notice enough difference between any of the tires I've tried to make it worth worrying about.
I think most of the difference between tires is felt because you're going from worn out tires to new tires.
I'm pretty confident that I can buy just about any modern tubeless tire and forget about it's characteristics within 50 miles of riding.
Good to know. I've got a long way to go before I need to do my first tire change, but it is good to have this info filed away. Thanks.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Welp we managed to get one of my new Pirelli SL26s on tonight (rear). I gotta say I was thinking it would help me lean
a little farther into turns, which it most definitely does, but I was NOT expecting how much smoother the road feels!!! :shock:

ESPECIALLY at higher speeds when the Shinko's would normally go all squirrely on me. And we have a couple streets
made of grooved concrete slabs, and I my scooter would be very wobbly and take on a mind of it's own, not anymore! :D

I was really surprised by the difference, I didn't think it would be that substantial, but it's a totally different experience, Awesome!!!
rajron

Post by rajron »

I also finally replaced my rear tire; they only had a trace of tread left and putting on a new Zippy 1 was dramatic. The main difference was how smooth my scoot rolls; many bumps and cracks are hardly noticed now, straight line is not as squirrelly either. I will be replacing the front now, even though they still look new – I love the new found smoothness.
I went to a 100/80 – 10, and it changed my final drive ratio significantly. Top speed dropped form ~72 bmph to ~67 bmph. Acceleration is noticeably stronger up to about 50 bmph. Once these tires wear away, I will not be putting the smaller diameter tires, I don’t like loosing the top speed, for sure the new front will be the correct size.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

My stock tires were spent so my shop but on 100/90x10 Zippy 1 (vs the 3.5x10 Zippy1) and MAN! what a difference.

Better traction, smoother ride and probably BECAUSE of the better traction, it's even FASTER now! woot-woot!

I don't feel the grooved roads really at all. In the wind this AM the bike was way steadier.

I totally recommend going 100/90. One the thing my shop said was the the Zippy's tread works for both front and back, you just flip the back one over. I didn't realize the back tire needed a different tread pattern.

So while I don't know what different 100/90 tires would feel like I do like the higher profile and wider tire over the stock 3.5 x 10.

YIPPEE! Next up - rear performance shock.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

The Heidenau brand tire is loved by those that have purchased them.I have read great reviews over at MV on em.Just do it. :D
Aerosmith, None Other.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Weird. I would've expected skinnier tires to get better top end, not worse.

I'm also looking at new tires now. My back is getting pretty thin after all these wanderlust road trips! :lol: I'm having issues interpreting the sizing most companies are using.
xxx/xx-xx
I'm assuming diameter is the -xx, but what's the acceptable range for the other two, and what ARE they? I'm having trouble getting my mind to wrap around it.

EDIT: my trouble's coming from looking for something rated higher than "J". I can't find anything that's 100/90-10, 100/80-10, 3.5-10"...the closest I get is these Pirelli touring tires where the front is 100/80-10, but the matching rear is 120/70-10. Does that fit?

Kaos: If you see this, it doesn't look like the Diablo scooter tires come in a 10" anymore. :( Those looked nice, too.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Cheshire wrote:Weird. I would've expected skinnier tires to get better top end, not worse.

I'm also looking at new tires now. My back is getting pretty thin after all these wanderlust road trips! :lol: I'm having issues interpreting the sizing most companies are using.
xxx/xx-xx
I'm assuming diameter is the -xx, but what's the acceptable range for the other two, and what ARE they? I'm having trouble getting my mind to wrap around it.

EDIT: my trouble's coming from looking for something rated higher than "J". I can't find anything that's 100/90-10, 100/80-10, 3.5-10"...the closest I get is these Pirelli touring tires where the front is 100/80-10, but the matching rear is 120/70-10. Does that fit?

Kaos: If you see this, it doesn't look like the Diablo scooter tires come in a 10" anymore. :( Those looked nice, too.
You can get the Heidenau 100/90-10 with an M rating here:

http://www.scootershop.com/catalog/prod ... ts_id=3617

I mean is that rating actual or indicated? I don't think i'm doing much over 62mph when I'm indicating 72mph.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

ericalm wrote:The 100/90 is a little wider than a 3.5 x 10. What brand tire is on your scoot now? I thought they all shipped with 3.5 x 10. Hm!

Tire recommendation: Continental Zippy 1. Probably the most widely liked tire in scooterdom.

As far as changing, I say save yourself the trouble and possible messed up rims and have a dealer do it.
Thats why I asked the other day if the 150's had larger tires.I asked cause I seen a pic somewhere online of a 150 and 125 side by side.The 150 had wider,beefier tires.So I wasn't sure if they came that way new.
Aerosmith, None Other.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Ok, here's one. I've been running Pirelli Diablo 100/90's that I got off eBay, but they seem to not exist any more, so I'm in the market for good tires again. The trick being its VERY hard to find P-Rated (94MPH) 10" tires. I'd be OK with N rated(87MPH) though I can actually exceed those speeds(Ok, only by 1MPH, but I'm trying!) anyone know of good sports type tires with high speed ratings that don't wear out super quick?
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Kaos wrote:Ok, here's one. I've been running Pirelli Diablo 100/90's that I got off eBay, but they seem to not exist any more, so I'm in the market for good tires again. The trick being its VERY hard to find P-Rated (94MPH) 10" tires. I'd be OK with N rated(87MPH) though I can actually exceed those speeds(Ok, only by 1MPH, but I'm trying!) anyone know of good sports type tires with high speed ratings that don't wear out super quick?
I was wondering how many pairs you go through in a year. if 5k the wear out point, I need to easy up on my pleasure riding. I can't do this 3 times a year. :(
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jijifer wrote:
Kaos wrote:Ok, here's one. I've been running Pirelli Diablo 100/90's that I got off eBay, but they seem to not exist any more, so I'm in the market for good tires again. The trick being its VERY hard to find P-Rated (94MPH) 10" tires. I'd be OK with N rated(87MPH) though I can actually exceed those speeds(Ok, only by 1MPH, but I'm trying!) anyone know of good sports type tires with high speed ratings that don't wear out super quick?
I was wondering how many pairs you go through in a year. if 5k the wear out point, I need to easy up on my pleasure riding. I can't do this 3 times a year. :(
I've replaced them twice in 18k miles. Though I tend to run them a bit farther past the wear marks than I probably should.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Kaos wrote:
jijifer wrote:
I've replaced them twice in 18k miles. Though I tend to run them a bit farther past the wear marks than I probably should.
You're a brave one. they told me mine were at 80% with MAYBE 500miles left and I begged, borrowed and stole to get my tires on that week. I do 500miles without noticing and was terrified to think they would blow. UGH!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jijifer wrote:
Kaos wrote:
jijifer wrote: I was wondering how many pairs you go through in a year. if 5k the wear out point, I need to easy up on my pleasure riding. I can't do this 3 times a year. :(
You're a brave one. they told me mine were at 80% with MAYBE 500miles left and I begged, borrowed and stole to get my tires on that week. I do 500miles without noticing and was terrified to think they would blow. UGH!
I'm a little ashamed to admit I ran the stock tires till the rear was a slick... It had more than 5k on it, let me tell you...
crackerman

Post by crackerman »

I plan on picking up a pair of the Pirelli SL26 for my Buddy 125. Got a set on my Ruck. I got a good deal on them from this place. Looks like about 50 for the set.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/ ... -Tire.aspx
AZruckuspride

130/70-10

Post by AZruckuspride »

Here is a 130/70-10 Kenda K413. It looks as if it is touching the shock but it's not. No issues. This gives you 5" of surface.

[/img][/code]
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

very useful information! im thinking about ditching my stock tires for some whitewalls, my bf and i were comtemplating what tire size to go with, after reading all these posts, i think i will try the 100/90x10's

hey AZruckuspride, are those tires on the ruckus with the buddy engine?
AZruckuspride

Post by AZruckuspride »

rOsa yes it is. Ruckus frame and body with buddy engine and controls. It started tonight for the first time. I need to rejet and the other ruck will be done tomorrow as well. I will post video as well.