Tactical Bailout Bag: A Proper Review

Product reviews. Read-Only.

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I got the tactical bag. Then they had a big blowout sale a couple weeks ago and I picked up a few other odds and ends, mostly some pouches. I finally drove the cage over there to pick it all up. You would think a place called LA Police Gear would be in LA. It's way the heck out in freakin' Valencia, about a half hour by car and twice as long by scooter.

I took one of the ammo pouches I got, made a few cuts and clipped it to the shoulder strap. Made the perfect holder for my handheld video cam for taking vids while riding. The bag was a huge hit at Amerivespa—lots of people asked me where I got it. (Pics of the holder & sample video to come soon. :))

The other pouches got velcro'd to the inside of the door of my Vespa's glovebox. Helped me clear space in my pet carrier and gave me a good system for charging the iPhone and iPod in the glovebox using my newly installed 12v plug.

I love this bag and have continued using it around town.

But I am a little creeped out by being on the LA Police Gear mailing and email lists…
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Cool idea with the pouches. And yeah, opening your email every day to "KNIFE BLOWOUT 15% OFF!" or "GUN HOLSTERS & HANDCUFFS!" can be a little weird. :lol:
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I have velcro plastered all over the inside of my glove box dood too. I just didnt think to get some of the pocket thingies like you did. I've been using the 34093049832982938293 little plastic bags I bought online instead.

Maybe I need to order some of those pockets. :)
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

15% off everything at LAPG. Use code "THANKS15"

Get your tactical bag plus all sorts of other weird paramilitary stuff I probably don't want to know about.
:shock:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
mojosnmikospapis

Code expired

Post by mojosnmikospapis »

:(

Guess I'll wait until the next "sale"
Black and de-restricted. Black Genuine topcase added to a black rear rack. Silverstars all around. New chrome side cowls (raffle win!)
carreybat

Post by carreybat »

got mine from my dad.. i told him about MB and how they talked about this bag. he always loves this kind of thing.

anyway, he bought 3 and gave one to me! yay!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Bail Out bag is on sale for $14.99 again. I may just get a black one!

I get inquiries about my bag all the time. I love it.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I rarely travel with a bag (maybe 'cause I don't have one) but at that price I think I'm gonna have to get one. Also, looks like the Bail Out Bag has a bigger brother too. Big enough for a laptop. Also on sale...
http://www.lapolicegear.com/jumbo-bailout-bag.html

And I have to include this other one just because it is the...

!!! LA Police Gear Zombie Hunter Bag !!!

http://www.lapolicegear.com/zombie-hunter-bag.html

Now what self-respecting SPAZ member wouldn't want one of these??! :lol:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:I rarely travel with a bag (maybe 'cause I don't have one) but at that price I think I'm gonna have to get one.
We have enough doppelgangers in out scooter group? LOL. Kidding.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BTW, Skootz, though they're "LA" Police Gear, they're operation is way out in BFE (NOT a fun ride) and the warehouse is kind of creepy in that "full of weird paramilitary survivalist type dudes" kind of way. May just want to ship UPS.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:I rarely travel with a bag (maybe 'cause I don't have one) but at that price I think I'm gonna have to get one.
We have enough doppelgangers in out scooter group? LOL. Kidding.
Hey, yours is beige :) Besides, imitation is the highest form of flattery isn't it? :)
ericalm wrote:BTW, Skootz, though they're "LA" Police Gear, they're operation is way out in BFE (NOT a fun ride) and the warehouse is kind of creepy in that "full of weird paramilitary survivalist type dudes" kind of way. May just want to ship UPS.
Soooo glad you mentioned that. I was totally thinking of picking it up in person. Not no more!

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yeah, I had to call them several times, too. It wound up taking a week longer than if I'd shipped it.
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:BTW, Skootz, though they're "LA" Police Gear, they're operation is way out in BFE (NOT a fun ride) and the warehouse is kind of creepy in that "full of weird paramilitary survivalist type dudes" kind of way. May just want to ship UPS.
I was nervous just giving them my address. :?
Glad I did though; the TBOB is my everyday scooterpurse.
(Do you think it's safe for me to call it that?)
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

In this entire thread I don't see any photos of the bag with a scooter? I'm curious about the actual size, whether it fits in the pet carrier when jammed with stuff, etc.

Does anyone really use all those pockets though? Maybe I'm just sloppy, I seem to lean towards zip-top pouches to jam all my stuff in, then dump it all out on the side of the road to find my screwdriver. ;)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:Glad I did though; the TBOB is my everyday scooterpurse.
(Do you think it's safe for me to call it that?)
Safe… from ridicule? NO. Scooterpurse, bwah!

Then again, I saw a picture of myself without gear on & with the bag over my shoulder. It was a bit man bag-y. :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

trackpete wrote:In this entire thread I don't see any photos of the bag with a scooter? I'm curious about the actual size, whether it fits in the pet carrier when jammed with stuff, etc.

Does anyone really use all those pockets though? Maybe I'm just sloppy, I seem to lean towards zip-top pouches to jam all my stuff in, then dump it all out on the side of the road to find my screwdriver. ;)
From another thread about the bag…
ericalm wrote:The one negative: Looks a little man-bag-y when off the scooter. The ladies are unimpressed with this.
It will stuff into a pet carrier. Might be a tight fit if the bag is filled to capacity.

I use all of the pockets! In fact, the main compartment is often mostly empty. On rides with varying climates, I stuff a sweater of light jacket in it. Great for keeping my still and video cameras onhand. Side pocket excellent for water bottle.
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

Intriguing.

I have a "bag problem" as well so I'm trying to avoid temptation here. I think the Zombie hunter bag linked earlier may be better sized for scoot gear to fit in the carrier (with room to spare), but really... I don't need another bag. Why am I looking at this thread?!

Damn you all.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

trackpete wrote:Intriguing.

I have a "bag problem" as well so I'm trying to avoid temptation here. I think the Zombie hunter bag linked earlier may be better sized for scoot gear to fit in the carrier (with room to spare), but really... I don't need another bag. Why am I looking at this thread?!

Damn you all.
Um, yeah… my name is Eric and I have a, um bag problem

It's bad. My everyday commuter is a Timbuk 2, but I'm looking for a (new) backpack because messenger bags are giving me back problems when I ride the Stella (moving my shoulders a lot more, position is more leaning forward). I have a few others which aren't getting much use and won't get any more when I get a backpack. And a couple in the garage awaiting a yard sale that's been years in the making.

Meanwhile, thinking I'll add some 3M reflective material to my new black Bail Out bag… :)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Ordered mine. I'm part of the bag club now. My biggest concern is that I will now start finding things to fill it with. Things that previously I was perfectly content without. Behold the power of a good sale price.

KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Hey Eric (or anyone) I was looking for a magazine/shotgun shell strip that could fit spark plugs (in their boxes) that I could put inside my glovebox door similar to Eric's LX. I found a couple that would be good, but not sure how to tell if the plugs will fit in the clip spaces. Anybody done anything like that? Any NRA members around here that might know the dimensions of a shotgun shell?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I have two; one for my emergency supplies, and one that I use as a range bag...for handguns, ammo, cleaning kit, targets, stapler, earmuffs, etc. Whether you use it for shooting accessories, first aid and survival stuff, or canned tofu rations, it's a great bag. If it threatens your manhood...oh, well.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Hey Eric (or anyone) I was looking for a magazine/shotgun shell strip that could fit spark plugs (in their boxes) that I could put inside my glovebox door similar to Eric's LX. I found a couple that would be good, but not sure how to tell if the plugs will fit in the clip spaces. Anybody done anything like that? Any NRA members around here that might know the dimensions of a shotgun shell?
what gauge shotgun shell? :)

Plugs are small, maybe 3/4 the diameter of a 12 gauge shell. But it looks like many of the holders are elastic, so might be able to hold a plug.

Something like this may be the way to go:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/bushhltypshs.html

This, probably not:

This, in between:

I'd say go for an enclosed mag pouch. That should hold a couple plugs, no problem. Ot get one of the ones with the elastic strips on the outside.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ericalm wrote:I may just get a black one!
Just got mine last week, so far so good. I'm spec-ing it out to be my roadside toolkit for longer rides "outside the beltway".
ericalm wrote:but I'm looking for a (new) backpack because messenger bags are giving me back problems when I ride the Stella
I've never been a fan of messenger style bags on the scooter. I do like that bright yellow boxy shape backpack that bike couriers use, it's waterproof and super visible. Anyone know the name of the company that makes those?
trackpete wrote:In this entire thread I don't see any photos of the bag with a scooter? I'm curious about the actual size, whether it fits in the pet carrier when jammed with stuff, etc.
I'm planning to mount mine on the front rack or in the topcase when I finish packing it out. I'll bring it on Tuesday if you want to have a looksee.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Thanks Eric, I was thinking something along the lines of that bottom pic, but the one in the pouch is prolly better. I'd like to be able to fit 3 spark plugs and the plug socket and ratchet all together. I suppose I could make one myself easy enough, if I had the time.
Syd

Post by Syd »

If you need to carry that many plugs, Krusty, maybe you should consider something like this?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Bag arrived today. Pretty dang awesome. I get the feeling I'll be discovering new pockets for weeks to come. Happy to find out that it holds a 9x12 envelope (just) which I was really hoping for. Makes it much more useful for me. Quite the bargain for a really rugged and versatile bag.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Bag arrived today. Pretty dang awesome. I get the feeling I'll be discovering new pockets for weeks to come. Happy to find out that it holds a 9x12 envelope (just) which I was really hoping for. Makes it much more useful for me. Quite the bargain for a really rugged and versatile bag.
Ooh, mine may have arrived today, too, then!

You're obsessed with this 9x12 envelope requirement. What are you transporting in so many 9x12 envelopes, Skootz? Secret documents? Contracts? Plans for missile systems? Industrial espionage? Are you spying for the Canadians? Mighty fishy. :P
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

I've got a Chrome Metro messenger bag that I used all the time when riding my bicycle. It has transitioned nicely to scooting.

The shoulder straps are better than on other bags I've tried, and the "opposite" shoulder stabilizer strap makes a big difference. Plus it's waterproof on the inside.

And the car-seat-buckle on the front is cool looking.

They're spendy, but worth it, in my book.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Will be ordering tonight, for use on my scooter AND dual-sport bikes. Thanks for taking the plunge and making reviews.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

killbilly wrote:They're spendy, but worth it, in my book.
It's the spendiness that keeps me away from Chrome. I'm a cheap-ass but at the same time like things that tend to cost a lot. The Chrome bags often go for around $100 used on eBay! They seem awesome, but I'm not ready to commit.

Also, just got a bicycle and am trying not to become a bike guy in the same way I became a scooter guy. My wife would probably kill me at that point. :)
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Chromes are spendy, but well worth it, when shut correctly they are as waterproof as anything else. I've been on a few bicycle trips with nothing but my largest bag. Holds clothes camelback pouch, tools, 500 miles and not one back problem.
Drink the kool-aid kiddies, it's the best messenger bag their is, repeat after me...
Eric feel free to insert bicycle obsession in their as well... :P
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Bag arrived today. Pretty dang awesome. I get the feeling I'll be discovering new pockets for weeks to come. Happy to find out that it holds a 9x12 envelope (just) which I was really hoping for. Makes it much more useful for me. Quite the bargain for a really rugged and versatile bag.
Ooh, mine may have arrived today, too, then!

You're obsessed with this 9x12 envelope requirement. What are you transporting in so many 9x12 envelopes, Skootz? Secret documents? Contracts? Plans for missile systems? Industrial espionage? Are you spying for the Canadians? Mighty fishy. :P
No espionage going on here. Move along. Move along... :P

The 9x12 size is important to me simply because that is the size of envelope I generally use to transport Client documents, photographs etc. It's also a typical magazine size etc, etc. That's all. I'm pretty much looking at using this as a briefcase. Very nice too that an iPad will fit inside the bag with ease. For larger documents, press sheets, presentations etc I have a telescoping hardshell tube that works really well. Just sling it over the shoulder.

laxer

Post by laxer »

Wahoo! Tactical Man Purse!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

A manly bag, for a manly man...

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Bag arrived today. GatsbyGirl aka Mrs. Ericalm: "What's in the box?"
Me: "Um… it'sabagIgotonsale."
"A bag? Do you really need another bag?"
"Um… yes…?"
Wonder what she'll say when the backpack shows up.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Order one of the accessory patches available from LA Police Gear (e.g. "SWAT" "POLICE" "AGENT")* and attach it to the big velcro rectangle on the one side of the TBOB, and people will be less inclined to (openly) question your manliness. You may, however, find actual law enforcement officers using the phrase "impersonating an officer" in reference to you, so you do so AYOR.

*I'd include links but lapolicegear.com is blocked at my work place as an "e-commerce, weapons" site.
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

laxer wrote:Wahoo! Tactical Man Purse!
That's the other thing. The Chome bag doesn't scream Tactical Man Purse.

It screams "Hipster Man Purse."

:D

And Eric - mine was a gift, or I wouldn't have one either. Good place to find them is in the bicycle section of Craigslist.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

ericalm wrote:Bag arrived today. GatsbyGirl aka Mrs. Ericalm: "What's in the box?"
"Um… yes…?"
The proper answer to the perpetual "Do you really NEED..." question is, "Need is not the engine that drives our economy; WANT is." My wife is so sick of hearing that, she never asks anymore.
laxer

Post by laxer »

PeterC wrote:
ericalm wrote:Bag arrived today. GatsbyGirl aka Mrs. Ericalm: "What's in the box?"
"Um… yes…?"
The proper answer to the perpetual "Do you really NEED..." question is, "Need is not the engine that drives our economy; WANT is." My wife is so sick of hearing that, she never asks anymore.
It's SO true, though. How many people in our country own only what they actually NEED?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

laxer wrote:
PeterC wrote:
"Um… yes…?"
It's SO true, though. How many people in our country own only what they actually NEED?
Millions have less. They're often referred to as "the homeless." :(
Now I feel guilty for buying a bag. Wife has no sway. Social conscience, however…

All guilt aside, that kind of argument doesn't work all that well in my household because there are plenty more rational arguments against what I'll call, um, "redundant consumerism." In this case, a pile of bags in my office and another in the living room.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:"redundant consumerism"
Now that is an excellent phrase.

Syd

Post by Syd »

Maybe if you were to post reviews of your redundant purchases you could call them business expenses and turn them into tax writeoffs?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Ericalm, God bless him, is a good person and as such, is cursed with a conscience.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I read somewhere that a shot of penicillin will cure that.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ericalm wrote:Now I feel guilty for buying a bag. Wife has no sway.
You could always buy her a bag of equal or lesser value for each bag you purchase, or let her build up "bag credit"!
ericalm wrote:In this case, a pile of bags in my office and another in the living room.
If you feel guilty of those piles, take some pictures and post em on MB or ebay. Turn that guilt into cash.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
ericalm wrote:In this case, a pile of bags in my office and another in the living room.
If you feel guilty of those piles, take some pictures and post em on MB or ebay. Turn that guilt into cash.
Actually, some will be headed to eBay soon. :)
laxer

Post by laxer »

I guess I should have specified what level of need (there are many definitions). And there's no need to feel guilty for enjoying what you've earned, as long as you also recognize that others have not had all the opportunities that you have and you give a fair amount to the needy.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I like tactical bag but I already splurged on emergency preparedness kit last year ( just in case zombies attack :rofl:)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... gMethod=rr

it has lots of pockets, basic survival stuff in case of getting stranded (food packs, water etc) as well as pockets. I do not know how many I will need for scooter stuff I have to get tire fix kit (have portable tire inflator already) and the rest of the scooter -related wrenches and such are all in under the seat compartment. If I travel via scooter (don't know when or where in the world I would go) I would likely either wear the backpack as long as it can rest on the seat or secure it behind me. Bright yellow should make bike more noticeable I haven't looked at it in a while but I do remember it having lots of pockets.
I might look into tactical bag just as an additional space saving something to pack more of my crap in.
Last edited by Stormswift on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
mattgordon

tactical question

Post by mattgordon »

I received my bag, it's exactly what I anticipated. I am curious about the divider-piece thing inside if it....not sure what it's intended purpose is, if anyone has removed it without missing having it, etc (it just velcros in there)

That piece seems a little bit briefcase-y to me. am I missing something?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Thought you all might like to see this... my MacBook, inside my Tactical Bailout Bag, inside my Genuine Topcase. A perfect fit with room to spare. Lovin' it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.