Aluminum Floor Boards - DIY or I can make them for you.

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

davelhunter

Aluminum Floor Boards - DIY or I can make them for you.

Post by davelhunter »

I really like the aluminum floor boards that I've seen on some of the PGO Gmax bikes on the forum. I have been trying to order these for quite a while, but have been unable to find them anywhere in the USA. Even the distrubutor for NCY said that thereis a minimum # that has to be ordered and since our Blurs are not being sold here in the U.S. they are not going to order a large quantity of these due to demand. I have decided to create my own. I first made these out of zinc plated aluminum. For many people these will probably suit just fine. However, I found a silver carbon fiber adhesive sheet which has a clear coating (asct as a non slip material) over it which really makes the boards stand out.

You will need the following:

1. 1 sheet of aluminum from Home Depot (20-25mm thickness)
2. 1 pair of "tin snips" or a bandsaw
3. sand paper
4. Permanent marker
5. Glue
6. A sheet of "silver carbon fiber" from Auto Zone.

How to:
1. Remove your stock floor boards. Place them on top of the aluminum and trace the outline with a permanent marker.
2. Cut along your outline with a pair of tin snips or use a band saw
3. Sand the rough cut edge with a piece of sandpaper to remove the burrs.
4. Cut 2 pieces of the carbon fiber material in a rectangular shape. Leave enough so there is overlap of approx. 1/4" wider than your metal cut out.
5. Peel back the adhesive backing from the sheet of carbon fiber material and stick it to the top of your aluminum piece.
6. Use a razor blade to cut along the edge of the material. Using a razor blade instead of scissors allows you to cut the material right up against the edge of the aluminum so it will not catch on anything and peel up.
7. Use a few small dots of gorilla glue on the front abd back of your new floor boards.
8. Put something heavy over the top while the glue dries.

Enjoy! I can make these for you guys if you are not mechanically inclined.
Attachments
photo (5).jpg
photo (5).jpg (123.82 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
photo (4).jpg
photo (4).jpg (89.52 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Those look very nice! Well done!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

wow. at first i was thinkin these would look like the cheap pieces of crap on the chinese scoots. i hate those. but man, that looks really nice. this might be a weekend project for me. thanks for sharing dude!
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Looks sharp.

One question though: how easy are they to remove without damaging them. Reason I ask is that you need to get the floorboards out of the way in order get at some screws/bolts that secure the lower body panels.
davelhunter

Post by davelhunter »

They are made of aluminum. They are a rigid piece of metal, so you won't break them. Just put a flathead screwdriver under theedge to pop the glue off. I'm sure you could mark the spots on the bottom where the original floorboards line up and epoxy some sort of plastic tab (like they use on car door panels) that will pop into the same hole like the stock floorboards do.
hungcanuck

Post by hungcanuck »

Those are really nice, I might give it a try. The last time I broke out the tin snips was to make bootleg ninja stars back in the 80s.
BeachBuzz

Re: Aluminum Floor Boards - DIY or I can make them for you.

Post by BeachBuzz »

davelhunter wrote:I can make these for you guys if you are not mechanically inclined.
how much for a set :?:
davelhunter

Post by davelhunter »

I didn't really intend on making any more, but for $50.00 I'll help out a fellow Blur rider.