Changing tires wasn't so bad

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

alienmeatsack

Changing tires wasn't so bad

Post by alienmeatsack »

This past weekend, I finally got rid of the Shinko whitewalls my 08 came with. They were looking pretty bad, even when cleaned up, and the tread was starting to wear. (They had 2500 miles on them.)

After some research and a recommendation, I went with a set of Michelin S83s. They are a classic scooter tire and have good wear, grip in wet and dry, and were not super crazy expensive.

Since the tires (3.5"x10") are tubeless, but the rims are the stock split rims, I needed a pair of tubes (same size as above, make sure they have a 90 degree stem) as well.

Removing and replacing the rim was really pretty simple. I should have taken some photos. But here's the process for those who care.

Once I figured out that I could split the rims and it would come apart easily, that helped. The hardest part was getting the tire loose from the wider portion of the rim. I had to put it on the floor, step and pull as hard as I could.

I opted not to get a new tire for the spare yet. I figured why spend another $30 when I have a good tire/tube there already, waiting under the cowl.

The front was easy since it's of the ground when on the stand. I just lodged a shop rag under for grip so I could loosen the nuts and then it came off and went back on with ease.

The rear was a little a little more complicated since I needed to lift the back up a bit to get the tire out. I ended up jacking the back up high enough that I had room to remove/replace the rim/tire combo. You can also undo the rear shock bolt to drop the motor for more clearance, or simply lean the scoot over onto it's side. If you plan on doing this, be sure to turn your fuel lever off and run it out of gas, and only keep it tilted for the shortest time possible to keep flooding/gas leakage/etc to a minimum.

I found a pretty good video on YouTube that helped explain it a bit more. And once I did the job, I felt pretty comfy doing it without too much effort.

And, the new tires feel so much better. Those Shinkos looked great when new, but the tread was horrible esp when they were on wet roads.

Wee.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I'd love it if you'd link to that YouTube video, plzkthnx!
ModBud #442
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
ScooterNews

Re: Changing tires wasn't so bad

Post by ScooterNews »

alienmeatsack wrote:This past weekend, I finally got rid of the Shinko whitewalls my 08 came with. They were looking pretty bad, even when cleaned up, and the tread was starting to wear. (They had 2500 miles on them.)

After some research and a recommendation, I went with a set of Michelin S83s. They are a classic scooter tire and have good wear, grip in wet and dry, and were not super crazy expensive.

Since the tires (3.5"x10") are tubeless, but the rims are the stock split rims, I needed a pair of tubes (same size as above, make sure they have a 90 degree stem) as well.

Removing and replacing the rim was really pretty simple. I should have taken some photos. But here's the process for those who care.

Once I figured out that I could split the rims and it would come apart easily, that helped. The hardest part was getting the tire loose from the wider portion of the rim. I had to put it on the floor, step and pull as hard as I could.

I opted not to get a new tire for the spare yet. I figured why spend another $30 when I have a good tire/tube there already, waiting under the cowl.

The front was easy since it's of the ground when on the stand. I just lodged a shop rag under for grip so I could loosen the nuts and then it came off and went back on with ease.

The rear was a little a little more complicated since I needed to lift the back up a bit to get the tire out. I ended up jacking the back up high enough that I had room to remove/replace the rim/tire combo. You can also undo the rear shock bolt to drop the motor for more clearance, or simply lean the scoot over onto it's side. If you plan on doing this, be sure to turn your fuel lever off and run it out of gas, and only keep it tilted for the shortest time possible to keep flooding/gas leakage/etc to a minimum.

I found a pretty good video on YouTube that helped explain it a bit more. And once I did the job, I felt pretty comfy doing it without too much effort.

And, the new tires feel so much better. Those Shinkos looked great when new, but the tread was horrible esp when they were on wet roads.

Wee.
Breaking the bead (what you described as "getting the tire loose from the wider portion of the rim") on 10" tires is an art form in itself. Imagine trying this on a non-splitting rim, it's a nightmare.
www.scooter-news.com

cheers,

Ryan Carden
Editor/Contributor - Scooter-News.com
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

I'm getting some Heidenau K47 for the scoot, hopefully to come in next week. My question is, since the rims can be split, do I need tire levers at all? Also, do I need to use tire glue or bead glue when installing the new tires? Thanks!
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

magnato1 wrote:I'm getting some Heidenau K47 for the scoot, hopefully to come in next week. My question is, since the rims can be split, do I need tire levers at all? Also, do I need to use tire glue or bead glue when installing the new tires? Thanks!
There is no need for levers or glue.

Some people like using a vice to get the rim off since the deep side can take some elbow grease to get out. However I simply take the shallow side off, then push the deep side out of the tire using my foot and holding onto the rubber.

I like to put a dab of lithium grease on the inner tube to minimize the likeliness of it getting pinched when you reassemble the rim.
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

Lokky wrote:
magnato1 wrote:I'm getting some Heidenau K47 for the scoot, hopefully to come in next week. My question is, since the rims can be split, do I need tire levers at all? Also, do I need to use tire glue or bead glue when installing the new tires? Thanks!
There is no need for levers or glue.

Some people like using a vice to get the rim off since the deep side can take some elbow grease to get out. However I simply take the shallow side off, then push the deep side out of the tire using my foot and holding onto the rubber.

I like to put a dab of lithium grease on the inner tube to minimize the likeliness of it getting pinched when you reassemble the rim.

Lokky,

Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I could pay the shop to do it at ten bucks a rim, but I enjoy doing the work myself and knowing it was done with care. Thanks again.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

A little video to help from Scooter Mercato.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYtlxqjhUGE

It can be tough getting it off the deep rim...especially conti tires. Check the insides of the rims for any rust...don't want a chunk putting a hole in your tube!

An MV thread to help.
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic99529
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

I've been through a couple of sets of tires. I had to use tire irons to break the bead with Heidenau K61s. It was easy and hands only with Vee Rubber tires from ScooterWorks.
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

Ok, so I just put the K47s on. I thought that they would be taller and wider than the Savas, but they're pretty much exactly the same size, but they have pretty awesome tread. I'm about to go ride, so I'll report back on the feel. I couldn't get the rear tire off of the rim, so I'll have someone change it for me, there is a local shop that will do it for $10 a rim. I don't have a vise because I live in a small apartment building and don't have a garage.

So, I have 3 Sava tires, 2 with 500 miles on them, and one with about 20 miles on them that I will give to the 1st taker for the cost of shipping.
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

I'm game for the tires , I'll pm my number
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

Pictures of the K47 next to the Sava. A little wider, nice looking tread!

clark5901

Post by clark5901 »

Thanks for the nice information in the post...
best lsat review best lsat review
pmp classes online pmp classes online
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

Just wanted to say thanks to Magnato. I just received a new to me set of white walls. The timing is a little crazy because my dealer just got in some Michelin white walls for me. The way I see it I plan on riding and riding and riding. So having back up tires will be a must.

Mad props to Magnato for taking care of another member of the MB community.

Thanks!
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

when you get a rear flat on a road trip it's just as much fun...

and you still get to use the toolkit sleeve to protect the grip/lever you have to lay it on (as opposed to using it to keep the front wheel from turning when changing the front)...