What a great scooter shop is like...! ">})

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drumwoulf

What a great scooter shop is like...! ">})

Post by Drumwoulf »

Last month I finally got around to attempting to install the black Buddy rack I bought from Philadelphia Scooters (-back in March '08!)
(Hey, I never said I was a fast worker...) :twisted:

Anyway, the damn thing just wouldn't attach. The arms on it were at least 1/4" too wide for the mounting holes,
and I was afraid if I tried to bend it too much or whack it too hard I would damage it.

So I emailed Larry at Philadelphia Scooters and explained the situation to him, said also that I didn't have the receipt
anymore but did have the original shipping box it came in..
He said, "No problem, send it back and we'll send you another one that will hopefully fit better.."

Which I did, and they did, and I installed the new one so easily it took me maybe all of 10 minutes to do it! :shock:

And THAT my Buddy-riding friends, is IMHO what a GREAT small scooter shop is like! (Although they've been growing
and are probably not that small anymore. -But they sure still act like it!! :D

So if you're in the area and are looking for a scoot, IMO you could hardly do anything better than stopping by to check
these guys out. -The owners might even go out on a test ride with you, riding alongside you... :lol:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Similar experience here from Metro Motorcycle in Neenah, WI. I have a Givi mounted on my rear rack. On Sunday I noticed the rack was broken. The cross piece on the rack which fits over the bolt on the Buddy was completely broken off at both ends, so my rack was in two pieces. I bought the rack and Givi from them late last August. They replaced the rack for me, no problem.

Also last July I was coming home from a camping trip on the Lake Michigan shore. As I was going about 60mph on a country highway Buddy started to lose some steam then slowed quickly and stalled. I thought it was the vapor lock rearing its ugly head again, but I had already fixed that with a hole in the gas cap. I loosened the cap anyway then tightened it and tried to start Buddy. No luck. I could tell it was laboring just to turn over. There was a hot smell, like burned oil. :cry: I checked the oil and it was dry. Lets see, oil filter still tightly in place, no smoke issuing from exhaust (wife was behind me towing camper), no oil spots anywhere I park (at home or at work), and no oil anywhere on Buddy. Where did the oil go?

I got the Buddy back to the dealer and they replaced all the engine components, a total rebuild. They said the only thing not replaced was the engine case. Here is what I paid for, 1 qt of oil and an oil filter. Genuine covered the rebuild under warranty. We never did find out why the oil disappeared. My thought is that it burned out through the exhaust over the previous several hundred miles but at a rate slow enough not to cause a smoke plume.

I now check my oil at every gas fill up. A little paranoid but....
Vic

Post by Vic »

I just have to say something about a scooter shop that heard about an owner of a used Buddy that got stuck on the side of the road after having her scooter for one week. The cause of the problem was decided to most likely be the infamous stator issue. The owner's local dealer looked at the scooter and stated the problem was a cross threaded spark plug and loose battery connection and charged her $98. :roll:

This shop volunteered to have a go at the scooter to figure out what the real problem was and investigate the case of the failing stators.

The issue was determined to actually BE the stator, the problem was fixed and the scooter was given a very thorough going over, a few other problems were located and fixed also. No way this shop was going to send the scooter back without making sure everything was perfect!

The owner also purchased the back rack (fully expecting to install it herself). The scooter was then delivered the 2 hours away from the scooter shop, with the new rear rack installed.

I am in awe of this shop, Pride of Cleveland, and have to admit I am jealous of all you Clevelanders that have such a great shop with awesome people running it.

It has been a little over 1000 miles and I have not had the slightest trouble and I know that I can depend on my scooter to take me "there and back again."

I think the main thing is the good shops have people that put the person (I.E. the scooterist) first, knowing that if you take care of the clients, the clients will take care of the business.

-v
BeachBuzz

Re: What a great scooter shop is like...! ">})

Post by BeachBuzz »

Drumwoulf wrote:Last month I finally got around to attempting to install the black Buddy rack I bought from Philadelphia Scooters (-back in March '08!)
So I emailed Larry at Philadelphia Scooters and explained the situation to him, said also that I didn't have the receipt
He said, "No problem, send it back and we'll send you another one that will hopefully fit better.."

And THAT my Buddy-riding friends, is IMHO what a GREAT small scooter shop is like! (Although they've been growing

So if you're in the area and are looking for a scoot, IMO you could hardly do anything better than stopping by to check
these guys out. -The owners might even go out on a test ride with you, riding alongside you... :lol:

:+!: :clap: Philadelphia Scooters ROCKS :clap: :+!:
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Vic wrote:I just have to say something about a scooter shop that heard about an owner of a used Buddy that got stuck on the side of the road after having her scooter for one week. The cause of the problem was decided to most likely be the infamous stator issue. The owner's local dealer looked at the scooter and stated the problem was a cross threaded spark plug and loose battery connection and charged her $98. :roll:

This shop volunteered to have a go at the scooter to figure out what the real problem was and investigate the case of the failing stators.

The issue was determined to actually BE the stator, the problem was fixed and the scooter was given a very thorough going over, a few other problems were located and fixed also. No way this shop was going to send the scooter back without making sure everything was perfect!

The owner also purchased the back rack (fully expecting to install it herself). The scooter was then delivered the 2 hours away from the scooter shop, with the new rear rack installed.

I am in awe of this shop, Pride of Cleveland, and have to admit I am jealous of all you Clevelanders that have such a great shop with awesome people running it.

It has been a little over 1000 miles and I have not had the slightest trouble and I know that I can depend on my scooter to take me "there and back again."

I think the main thing is the good shops have people that put the person (I.E. the scooterist) first, knowing that if you take care of the clients, the clients will take care of the business.

-v
:+!: :+!: :+!: :+!: I am lucky to live 6 miles away.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
skidad

Post by skidad »

Scooterville In Minneapolis Is The Very Same Way,when It Comes To Service,Sales Etc. Product Knowledge Second To None,Addressed A Couple Of Questions Over The Phone,Told Me To Bring It In, Fixed In 10 Minutes,Out The Door No Charge.. Give Them A Try!!
polianarchy

Re: What a great scooter shop is like...! ">})

Post by polianarchy »

BeachBuzz wrote:
Drumwoulf wrote:Last month I finally got around to attempting to install the black Buddy rack I bought from Philadelphia Scooters (-back in March '08!)

:+!: :clap: Philadelphia Scooters ROCKS :clap: :+!:

BEST DEALER EVARRR
ModBud #442
louie

Post by louie »

The proprietor of Magic City Motor scooters in birmingham came to check on the scooterist, me, when he heard that a scooter was involved in a wreck a couple of blocks away. How's that for service. he checked out the scooter right there at the scene of the accident.

We are all lucky to have such enthusiastic shop owners...
or should i say...
We are all lucky to have a love for scooters, because scooter shop owners love what they do.
mandyscoots

Post by mandyscoots »

I wish I could say the same for my scooter shop. The last time I went in they were not helpful nor friendly.