Buddy Service Manuals Courtesy Genuine Scooter Co.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Kurzer

Buddy Service Manuals Courtesy Genuine Scooter Co.

Post by Kurzer »

===Wondering if this can be a sticky? Just remove the text in the "=" I didn't see this posted so I'm tossing it up, sorry if I missed it in search===

Buddy 50 Service Manual

Buddy 125 Service Manual
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Thanks; these have been posted a few times here and there but never in a post with the subject of "Service Manuals" (go figure!).

I'm hesitant to make anything sticky right now because I think we need to add some new sections to the forum and may have to reorganize. Been meaning to ask the higher up about this, but I don't think any of us have time at the moment...
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
DO3

Post by DO3 »

Does anyone know if there is a Blur service manual available online? I searched the Genuine site (couldn't find the buddy one's either) and also took the address from the buddy links above and changed the file name to guess at what it might be with no luck.

Thanks
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Buddy Owner's Manual wrote: The first 9 digitals are model type, the last 8 digitals are production serial numbers.
or
Buddy Owner's Manual wrote: The luggage comp. become hot. Do not put luggage in the temperature.
WOW... the Buddy's owner's manual (not service manual) sucks...lol! I've read everyone's comments about how bad the writing is for the owner's manual but to actually see it... that's funny. Hopefully they'll update the manual with actual English Soon.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Corsair wrote: WOW... the Buddy's owner's manual (not service manual) sucks...lol! I've read everyone's comments about how bad the writing is for the owner's manual but to actually see it... that's funny. Hopefully they'll update the manual with actual English Soon.
Sucks???? It is without a doubt some of the most entertaining reading I have done in years! With the exception of the owner's manual of course!

Not David
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Ok at first it was funny but now it's just ridiculous. The Owners Manual is becoming a problem. It's not as if the Buddy is some cheap $500 scooter but it sure has a owner's manual that would have you think that it is.
When the blinker switch is shifted, this indicator will flash and tickling.
TICKLING?! Really? Did I just read that the blinker will tickle me??? (ok, that was a little funny) I get that the book wasn't originally written in English but come on. They really should have done a better job than that. There are quite a few areas where you have to translate the translations. This isn't a deal breaker for me at all. The positives of the company EXTREMELY out weighs the negatives, but it's sort of a disappointment.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Corsair wrote:Ok at first it was funny but now it's just ridiculous. The Owners Manual is becoming a problem. It's not as if the Buddy is some cheap $500 scooter but it sure has a owner's manual that would have you think that it is.
When the blinker switch is shifted, this indicator will flash and tickling.
TICKLING?! Really? Did I just read that the blinker will tickle me??? (ok, that was a little funny) I get that the book wasn't originally written in English but come on. They really should have done a better job than that. There are quite a few areas where you have to translate the translations. This isn't a deal breaker for me at all. The positives of the company EXTREMELY out weighs the negatives, but it's sort of a disappointment.
Dude, I know.
*points to signature*
| | |
VVV
ModBud #442
Kurzer

Post by Kurzer »

You mean when you push the button the brinker doesn't tickle? There is being sometring wrong with your wire and you would be making an LED test rite to check the systems. If you have no test rite, you will also be using a vrolt meters to do the same tring.
I don't do much modding on the scoot anymore, just riding :-)
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I can't think of any manual I've had for an imported product that didn't need some degree of translating the transaltion.
charlya

Service Manual

Post by charlya »

I see the Genuine Scooter folks have removed those links.
Anyone feel like posting the manual somewhere for us newbies?
ZeroImpact

Post by ZeroImpact »

I emailed Genuine regarding a Service Manual for the new Buddy Int'l 150 series. Brett Ratner wrote me back saying that they were revising the manuals and that they would post the updates when finished.

If you are looking specifically for the 50/125 Service Manuals, you can find them attached to the first posting on the sticky thread "For All New Members/Owners". topic1354.html The URLs that point to Modern Buddy are still good.

Happy scootin'

Pete
kziemer

150 cc budy manual???

Post by kziemer »

Has anyone been able to find the service manual for the 150cc budy?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Heres the manual hosted on modern buddy!

http://modernbuddy.com/pdf/buddy125_service_manual.pdf

For the 150, it should be similar for most parts, but more technical things like timing, valve spacing and such, those are probably different because of the difference in engine sizes.
2008Buddy125

125 Service Manual

Post by 2008Buddy125 »

Thanks for posting the service manual for the 125. I have benn looking all around the net for one.
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

the url to the service manual doesn't seem to be working anymore. i just checked and got a 404 msg.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

un_designer wrote:the url to the service manual doesn't seem to be working anymore. i just checked and got a 404 msg.
It works for me using this link: http://modernbuddy.com/pdf/buddy125_service_manual.pdf
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
sbacon

Genuine Buddy 150 Series Owner's Manual

Post by sbacon »

I was wondering if anyone was ever able to get a manual for the Genuine Buddy 150 series scooters? I've bought a second-hand scooter and it didn't come with a manual. Let me know! Thanks a bunch!! :-)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Are you looking for a owner's manual that comes with the scooter or the Service Manual?

We don't have the owner's manuals. Genuine was working on new ones, but I think that got sidetracked by a lot of other projects there.

The Service Manual for the 125 is 95% the same as for the 150. I don't know if they even put one out specific to the 150—the only big difference is that it has an oil cooler.

You can probably get either from a dealer or call Scooterworks and order it.
1-888-96-VESPA
Cpryd001

Post by Cpryd001 »

The links are currently broken. I misplaced my own manual and was hoping to refresh myself on some information.

Anyone have backup copies?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Cpryd001 wrote:The links are currently broken. I misplaced my own manual and was hoping to refresh myself on some information.

Anyone have backup copies?
Tried this link?
http://modernbuddy.com/pdf/buddy125_service_manual.pdf

This is the technical manual, not the owner's manual. As far as I know, there's not an version of that one online anywhere. I've looked for PGO Ligero, Bella, and BuBu (names for the Buddy in other countries) and haven't found one.
ilektron

Post by ilektron »

I could have sworn that I found a copy of the user manual a year ago to look at the wiring diagram in it. I'll have to dig through my files and see if I saved a copy... Too bad the PSU on the computer it would be on just died, may be a bit before I can look.
Dad, I know everything.
- 3y/o Son
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ilektron wrote:I could have sworn that I found a copy of the user manual a year ago to look at the wiring diagram in it. I'll have to dig through my files and see if I saved a copy... Too bad the PSU on the computer it would be on just died, may be a bit before I can look.
That's probably also the service/tech manual. I don't think the user's manual has any wiring diagrams in it. Could be wrong; I haven't peeked in it in a while.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Cpryd001 wrote:Anyone have backup copies?
The owners manual is too big to post but I can email it to you.
jade_kadir

Post by jade_kadir »

Dooglas wrote:
Cpryd001 wrote:Anyone have backup copies?
The owners manual is too big to post but I can email it to you.
Is the Owner's Manual different from the Service Manual link that was posted up above? If so, I would like a copy too if you still have it.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

There are links to both the Owner's and Service Manuals on this page:

topic17349.html
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
peterinsfca

Buddy service manual

Post by peterinsfca »

I just bought a Buddy 170i last week. My first scooter. I've been looking on line for a service manual that could help me learn how to do basic service myself. I bought a Haynes Scooter techbook on Amazon but after I received it I noticed its made for Honda, Piaggio, Vespa or Yamaha. Can anyone recommend another source?
AWinn6889

Re: Buddy service manual

Post by AWinn6889 »

peterinsfca wrote:I just bought a Buddy 170i last week. My first scooter. I've been looking on line for a service manual that could help me learn how to do basic service myself. I bought a Haynes Scooter techbook on Amazon but after I received it I noticed its made for Honda, Piaggio, Vespa or Yamaha. Can anyone recommend another source?
I haven't been able to find anything on the 170i yet.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

^ Have you asked your dealer? Service manuals are usually available through the dealer. They are not free though.
peterinsfca

service manual

Post by peterinsfca »

I got an owner's manual from them but that's not very helpful. I'm going in for a windshield and topcase next week. I'll ask them about a service manual then but I'm sure they would rather I pay them for service.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

The link ericalm provided has never worked for me. I get the first 3 pages and that's it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

k1dude wrote:The link ericalm provided has never worked for me. I get the first 3 pages and that's it.
The 125 Service Manual?

Works for me; over 100 pages. Have you tried right-clicking and saving the file?
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

ericalm wrote:
k1dude wrote:The link ericalm provided has never worked for me. I get the first 3 pages and that's it.
The 125 Service Manual?

Works for me; over 100 pages. Have you tried right-clicking and saving the file?
That worked. Thanks!
peterinsfca

Buddy service manual

Post by peterinsfca »

Is the 2004 service manual for the Buddy 125 the only, and most recent, resource? I'm going to ask my Buddy dealer next week if there is a service manual available for the 170.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

bluebuddygirl wrote:^ Have you asked your dealer? Service manuals are usually available through the dealer. They are not free though.
Yes, I asked the dealer in Burlington. He said there isn't an "official" one out for the consumer [yet anyway], he only had one copy that was sent to him from Genuine and it was choppy at best (much like the owner's manual, which was a hacked together copy and paste job by PGO).

If you live close to your dealer, and they're nice to you, maybe they will photocopy what they have for you for a price... otherwise the owner's manual is all you're going to get for now, and the owner's manual is just awful, see this thread for a good laugh about the 170i manual, oh, and this one too, for the Rat 110.
peterinsfca

service manual

Post by peterinsfca »

I have the owner's manual for my Buddy 170i and it's not very helpful. But i'm wondering if there are other publications that can guide me on oil changes, tire changes, battery service, etc. As I mentioned, I bought a book on Amazon but discovered, once it arrived, that it does not cover Genuine scooters. But perhaps I can apply some of that knowledge along with some of the posts here to learn how to do them. But it really shouldn't have to be this complicated.
AWinn6889

Re: service manual

Post by AWinn6889 »

peterinsfca wrote:I have the owner's manual for my Buddy 170i and it's not very helpful. But i'm wondering if there are other publications that can guide me on oil changes, tire changes, battery service, etc. As I mentioned, I bought a book on Amazon but discovered, once it arrived, that it does not cover Genuine scooters. But perhaps I can apply some of that knowledge along with some of the posts here to learn how to do them. But it really shouldn't have to be this complicated.
Like I said above, there is nothing on the 170i available to the consumer right now, other than the owner's manual, which is really awful anyway. It's still a fairly new model, and I'm sure Genuine is aware that their customers are looking for service manuals, but there's only so much they can do for us. I'm sure they understand how awful the owner's manual is, and want to make sure that a service manual would be as comprehensible and useful to us as possible.

With that said, I'm doing DIYs for the 170i as I go. Unfortunately when I did the oil, gear oil, and valve adjustments my bf was taking the pics and hosted them on some online version of Photoshop or something, and MB doesn't support image links to .png files (or at least not the ones he has). So I have to get him to give me the pictures so that I can change the format and partner them with my written directions. While our laptops sit right next to each other, it's like pulling teeth to get him to remember, let alone actually do something like this.. and I'm usually very busy with school, my p/t jobs and client work.

HOWEVER, you can use most of the info on here for the Buddy 150 and not have a problem. The oil cooler and filter on the 170 are in a different spot, but the same ideas apply. I used a couple different 150 DIYs for info about taking my 170 apart monday too (including removing the front wheel, brake and speedo sensor). The only thing that is truly specific to the 170i is the ECU and electronic fuel injection, which I have yet to find any reason why one would need to tinker with these without the aid of a dealer anyway.

So, moral of the story: I didn't have a problem doing any of these things without 170i specific information. Some things are a little different, but if you have an idea what you are looking at, it's generally pretty easy to figure out.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I don't know that I would hold my breath waiting for a Buddy 170 Service Manual. The current service manual available in the Faqs forum dates back to 2004, is for the 100 and 125, and most likely came from the Scooter Community website in Australia. Besides, for what other vehicle can you get the official service manual? There's some, I'm sure, but there's not many.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Syd wrote:I don't know that I would hold my breath waiting for a Buddy 170 Service Manual. The current service manual available in the Faqs forum dates back to 2004, is for the 100 and 125, and most likely came from the Scooter Community website in Australia. Besides, for what other vehicle can you get the official service manual? There's some, I'm sure, but there's not many.
There's actually a lot out there, you just have to know where to look/what to look for, Bentley, Chilton, Haynes and Clymer are the most popular and at least one of them can be found for almost any car or motorcycle since the late 80s if not earlier.
peterinsfca

service manual

Post by peterinsfca »

Okay, great! All good information. I also discovered that Scooterworks sells a service manual for the Buddy 150. And I see there is a link on thi site too for a 150 service manual. I would assume they are the same document so why pay Scooterworks $27 if its here free.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

AWinn6889 wrote:
Syd wrote:I don't know that I would hold my breath waiting for a Buddy 170 Service Manual. The current service manual available in the Faqs forum dates back to 2004, is for the 100 and 125, and most likely came from the Scooter Community website in Australia. Besides, for what other vehicle can you get the official service manual? There's some, I'm sure, but there's not many.
There's actually a lot out there, you just have to know where to look/what to look for, Bentley, Chilton, Haynes and Clymer are the most popular and at least one of them can be found for almost any car or motorcycle since the late 80s if not earlier.
Those aren't the OEM service manuals provided by manufacturers to dealers, though; they're third-party ones. It's highly unlikely that we'll see a Haynes or Clymers for the Buddys/PGOs. They have some that cover misc. automatic/GY6-based scooters. Probably about as specific as they'll get.

Most people will never see the manufacturer service manual for their car, scooter, motorcycle, vacuum cleaner, whatever. Some eventually make it to the public. I don't even remember where we got the Buddy ones we have here. The UK LML sites used to have links for the Star (Stella) 4T service manual and all the links disappeared. Someone over there cracked down and had them all pulled from dealer/distributor sites and the LML forum. We still don't have one of these available. :(
kymur

Re: Buddy Service Manuals Courtesy Genuine Scooter Co.

Post by kymur »

Kurzer wrote:===Wondering if this can be a sticky? Just remove the text in the "=" I didn't see this posted so I'm tossing it up, sorry if I missed it in search===

Buddy 50 Service Manual

Buddy 125 Service Manual
Correct link for the Buddy 50 Service:
http://scooterunderground.ca/knowledge/ ... manual.pdf

In the sticky have it say The Service manual to any Scooter can be found by typing on google "Buddy XXX Service Manual" and it should be the 1st link from google.
Last edited by kymur on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syd

Post by Syd »

ericalm wrote:I'm hesitant to make anything sticky right now because I think we need to add some new sections to the forum
Then I saw the post's date. Sigh.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
kymur

Post by kymur »

LOL
kymur

Post by kymur »

This link has all the parts of the motorbike with the part name and number listed underneath, here is the link:

http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/buddy50aircleaner

You have to go to 'choose parts page' to switch to different diagrams of parts
Ride Ride Ride ~Kymur
lkerber

Need 2006 Buddy 125 owner's manual... any suggestions?

Post by lkerber »

Thanks!
Mcanaves

Post by Mcanaves »

The links seem to be dead. Does anyone have an updated set?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

In the Manuals section of our FAQs and Guides:
topic17349.html