Riding in heavy wind

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bunny

Riding in heavy wind

Post by bunny »

How do you all do it?
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

rajron

Post by rajron »

Depends on which way you’re going;
Don’t fight it.
I think it helps to curse; when going up a hill and against the wind.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

wind surf, i like too tuck i dont know i think it helps with no sheild. problems with side to side (crabing) ect ?
Vic

Post by Vic »

Riding into a headwind, I have a windscreen now and it is much easier to deal with (I don't feel like I am going to be blown clean off the scooter). Just putter along and do the best you can.

Tailwinds are fun. I doubt anyone will complain about them. :)

Side to side winds, these are probably what you are asking about. They suck! Especially if they are not constant or keep changing on you. Keep your arms relaxed but hang on to the grips. The LESS you fight it, the easier it is. Don't panic when you can't hold a perfect line-its okay to move around in your lane. Stay relaxed and don't tighten up.
If you find that you can't stay in your lane, find a coffee shop or something to hole up for a while and see if maybe it clears up a little. These are really small, lightweight scoots and there is some stuff that they just don't belong in.

Good luck. I commute over a bridge over a reservoir, it is usually windy and when we have some weather on the way it can be interesting. :? If it is going to be a really windy day, I take the cage.

-v
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Vic's right on, it's very important to relax and not seize up or grip the handlebars too tightly.

Also, give yourself extra room in your lane, whether it's slowing down or moving away from cars and traffic.

Watch out for intersections. If the wind is really hard and steady like the Santa Anas we get here, it'll whip around buildings. Then when you're clear of buildings, at an intersection for instance, it can pound you from a totally different direction.

Kind of fun and scary, like an invisible giant is trying to punch you. Or something like that.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
cadillaczac

Post by cadillaczac »

Eric couldn't have said it better...I (try) to relax and ride with it. Theres one really sketchy part of my normal commute over the Santa Clara river bridge. If the winds coming through the river basin, combined with the grooves in the bridge, I get loose all over the place. Worst part is the speed limit is 55 MPH, so I got to really be careful!
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
www.camarollersscooterclub.blogspot.com
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

It seems like the winds here in New England have really kicked up over the last couple of years (no climate change? Ha!). Anywho, I was poking around MB looking for posts on riding in wind a few days ago and found alot of posters said it helps to relax. Well, I usually stiffen up like molasses in January when riding in wind, so today (25 mph winds with 35 mph gusts) I pulled a Frankie and relaxed. It really did help! Don't get me wrong; I wasn't loving the wind but I also wasn't chanting "Please don't let me die" the whole scoot home.
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

cadillaczac wrote:Eric couldn't have said it better...I (try) to relax and ride with it. Theres one really sketchy part of my normal commute over the Santa Clara river bridge. If the winds coming through the river basin, combined with the grooves in the bridge, I get loose all over the place. Worst part is the speed limit is 55 MPH, so I got to really be careful!
I feel your pain. The quickest way to my folks house is across a dam. Lord, how I hate it! No grooves but the pavement is full of long, wavy cracks. At least the speed limit is only 35 (which in Americanese translates to about 45). On really windy days I gladly go 10 miles out of my way just to avoid that damned dam!
KCScooterDude

Re: Riding in heavy wind

Post by KCScooterDude »

bunny wrote:How do you all do it?
I agree - relax and make sure you are not going too fast for the conditions.

Question 1: Do you have a windscreen? I found this really helped.

Question 2: I saw you have a Vulcan? I'm thinking about a 900. How do you like it?
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

I'm not sure and correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't having a windshield make it harder?? I mean doesn't it act as a "sail"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScootStevie wrote:I'm not sure and correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't having a windshield make it harder?? I mean doesn't it act as a "sail"
Only a tall windshield. Otherwise, it redirects wind around, reducing drag. I don;t know how much help it is wish winds coming in from different angles, but it's rare for riders to experience the sail effect with windshields under 18" or so.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Vic

Post by Vic »

I have the Genuine brand mid-size windscreen and had a generic brand that was roughly the same size before this one. I have never experienced the sail effect, instead the windscreen cuts through the air and redirects it so your body does not have to perform that function. I have been without a windscreen for most of this season so far and just got the new one about 2 weeks ago. It makes it much more comfortable to ride because you don't have to fight and hang on just to stay on the scooter!

-v
TVB

Post by TVB »

LuvMyScoot wrote:The quickest way to my folks house is across a dam. Lord, how I hate it! No grooves but the pavement is full of long, wavy cracks.
I hope you don't live downstream of that dam.
bunny

Re: Riding in heavy wind

Post by bunny »

KCScooterDude wrote:
bunny wrote:How do you all do it?
I agree - relax and make sure you are not going too fast for the conditions.

Question 1: Do you have a windscreen? I found this really helped.

Question 2: I saw you have a Vulcan? I'm thinking about a 900. How do you like it?
Thanks for everyone's advice.

I have the medium windscreen. And yes, it is the side winds that were bothering me. The sliding over the lane while going in a forward direction really terrified me the first time it happened. I expected it yesterday, so I wasn't as scared and just rode in the far left of my lane to keep from sliding into the next lane...as for the winds, at a couple times during my ride to and from work, I noticed the front wheel was weeble-wobbling and that more than anything scared me. I tried to keep myself relaxed with a firm grip on the handles. It was all that weeble-wobbling that got to me.

So how can I correct that? Or is there a correction for that? It just sucks that the non-rain days are so windy lately. I felt like I was never going to get to ride. And I get twitchy if I can't ride at least once a week. So I attempted yesterday and got wind scared.

How do I get over that?

And we have the Vulcan Classic 1500. We love it. Goes super fast...especially compared to Bonheur...:D It's way too big for me to even attempt to ride by myself. In fact, we were out riding last night and a friend called to tell us her bike died around the corner from her house. We ended up going home, 2-upping the scooter and going to get her because they were going to push the bike home and I can't even get both feet on the ground on the Vulcan.

On a side note, I don't like riding 2-up. Not comfy.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

It's mostly just a matter of confidence and self control. Work your way up to the levels of wind that you're uncomfortable with right now. You've got to be able to relax before you'll feel comfortable with those kinds of winds.

It doesn't matter how long you've been riding, always stay in your comfort zone.

After a while, it's like Eric said, it can be kinda fun... like dodging the wind.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

When we get warm days during the winter in this part of the country, they tend to be very windy, so I know your frustration.

I just kind of got used to it. Of course, slower speed is going to help. Actually, you get used to compensating for a steady wind. It's the gusts that get you. If you can ride through an area with lots of trees, that helps too. Farmers plant them around their homes for a reason.

Again, it's hard not too, but remember not to tense up. As long you stay in your lane, it's okay to let the wind blow you around a bit.
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

I always hate driving through downtown due to the wind. With all the large buildings, the cross streets turn into giant wind tunnels. Driving along with little wind, then get tagged with a 10-15mph blast from a cross street gets kind of exciting ...
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I don't. I'll ride in rain, freezing cold, night, and during a Phillies game, but I will NOT ride in winds stronger than 35mph.
ModBud #442
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

Yeah, those gusty cross winds are annoying, but as everybody said, you just have to relax.

I tend to just wind sail through it. Don't over correct, just make smooth small corrections through the whole of the gust. Sometimes I just put a little bit more weight on the foot where the wind orginates. That way when a stronger wind comes, you just apply a little pressure and that tends to push you through the wind. Note: Obviously if you have a brake there you should be careful and not put your foot on it.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

• Relax, loosen up your arms, go with the flow
  • Expect gusts at intersections
  • Watch the leaves (both on the ground and on the bushes) to see other places where to expect gusts
  • Leave extra space in front of you
  • Don't ride right next to another vehicle (so if you get blown out of your lane...)
  • If the wind is coming from one direction, ride on that side of the lane.
  • Slow down (Ride in the right lane and turn on your hazards if necessary)
  • Add weight under the seat
  • Know your limits, watch wind advisories, and know when NOT to ride
Scooter Commuter
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

sunshinen wrote:
  • Watch the leaves (both on the ground and on the bushes) to see other places where to expect gusts
  • Don't ride right next to another vehicle (so if you get blown out of your lane...)
This is excellent and concise. I'm stealing this for the FAQ. :D
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Lostmycage wrote:
sunshinen wrote:
This is excellent and concise. I'm stealing this for the FAQ. :D
(Good call LMC.)

I'm with Polianarchy when it comes to avoiding riding in the wind. Now that I've ridden in downpours, extreme hot, cold, day, night, rush hour traffic... heavy or gusty wind is the condition I dislike riding in the most. Not that it can't be done (the above advise is excellent) I just find it exhausting, like riding with the ground moving under you, constantly adjusting, correcting, compensating, it's just a lot of work. And of course there is the compromised safety factor.

I like to relax and enjoy the ride, feeling safe and in control along the way. If we have plans to meet and it turns out to be a very windy day, I'll be rescheduling...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

sunshinen wrote:
Yea, excellent stuff.
I have ridden in wind with 60 mph gusts. It was horrible. I really hated it but had to keep going. Knowing your limits is key. Sometimes I had to ride on shoulder until heavy gusts passed--I was getting knocked over there anyways.
It is very helpful to study grass and leaves to discern where wind is coming from and where there are heavier gusts. Once I figured that out it was very helpful--I didn't feel so out of control.
If you have to lean, be on guard at all times. For instance if you go under a bridge, there will be no wind and your lean will be unnecessary.
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

TVB wrote:
LuvMyScoot wrote:The quickest way to my folks house is across a dam. Lord, how I hate it! No grooves but the pavement is full of long, wavy cracks.
I hope you don't live downstream of that dam.
Yes, I do and the dam is maintained by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; I think that's the same group that was in charge of the levees in New Orleans. Time to pack...
MAJensen

Post by MAJensen »

This bit helped me a lot. It can get real windy crossing from Bloomington to Burnsville on the 77 bridge and the textured cement makes it feel kind of slippery. I think this is the same as he writes in proficient motorcycling as well.

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/safet ... g_wind.htm