People looking like WTF? when you're putting riding gear on.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ZQ8 Blazer

People looking like WTF? when you're putting riding gear on.

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

It bothers me a tad bit cause people don't know how fast these things goes and most people around here on crotch rockets and harley's just wear shirts pants and no helmets. I don't wear my helmet in town but anything over 45mph I do.

Anyway I have a riding jacket, goggles, helmet, and gloves. This weekend I've noticed a lot of people looking at me when I pull in somewhere or am putting the stuff on like "why the hell is that guy putting all that on? Or they kinda laugh.

What do you guys do about this?
-Justin-
Syd

Post by Syd »

I never noticed. Now, that doesn't mean it hasn't happened around me, it just means I don't pay attention. In terms of gear, how you ride is your business, how they ride is their business, and if they don't ride, who cares?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

Yeah I know but it's a little discouraging really. I live in a pretty rural area and drove 70 miles to my parents place on the lake this weekend and can almost guarantee this is the most distance anyone has driven on a scooter anywhere around me so people have no idea of what they're capable of.
-Justin-
Lastyearsyou

Post by Lastyearsyou »

Gainesville, FL - Where flipflops, shorts, and tank tops reign supreme... even on a scooter. She isn't wearing eye protection (which I was told is required when riding a scooter/motorcycle in Florida) or a helmet either. Heck, she's probably still drunk from the night before -this is a college town after all. Scary. Anonymity protected only because I couldn't get my cellphone camera to zoom.
trevo_man

Post by trevo_man »

I brought this up in a thread a while back. I got some pretty good responses on how to deal with it.
viewtopic.php?t=4088&highlight=
louie

Post by louie »

when i went back to work after my slide i was noticing all the scuff marks on my gear. the woman i was talking to said, "oh that's what all the leather is for". at least she realized it and another person educated.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

When we're up riding the canyons with the crotch rocketeers, they actually seem to respect that we're pretty well geared up for scooterists.

Yes, people look. I don't really bother engaging them; it's probably pointless.

I usually don't engage them and have never been poked fun of or criticized for gearing up. If someone did say something, I'd probably ask how fast they think the scooter goes. Even if they think these are low-speed vehicles, ask how fast they think you need to be going to get a severe injury. Then suggest they jump out a car at that speed. Then tell them how fast it actually goes. And lie by a few mph. (Guy at gas station yesterday: "How fast does that go? 80?" Me: "Yeah, sure!")
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

Thanks guys, all good points.
-Justin-
Vic

Post by Vic »

I take the perspective of, "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand." And leave it at that.

I gear up because I experienced a wreck on a bicycle at 25mph and owe my life to a Bell bicycle helmet. My skin was only protected by some bits of lycra and cotton-it didn't go very far.

I go a lot faster than that on my scooter. Seems simple to me, but those who don't get it, don't matter.

-v
farrellcollie

Post by farrellcollie »

I had an accident on a bicycle going about 20mph- lost skin, broke some bones and split my helmet. My main concern in the bike accident was whether I had broken my jaw or not(happily not - just took off skin on my face).
So I wear a bright hi viz jacket and full face helmet on the scooter. It is one of the good parts of being middle aged that I don't care what others think and most people don't pay me much attention other than to comment on the brightness of jacket - which is the point of it.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I used to get razzed occasionally about wearing a bike helmet, with adolescent twits joking that I must fall down a lot. Depending on my mood, I might make a comment about <i>my</i> brain being worth protecting. These days on a scooter, I just say, "It's a smart idea, and it's the law."* If I feel they deserve a verbal slap, I just look them in the eye and tell that it's because I lost my boyfriend to a brain injury** and I don't want to end up like he did.

*Michigan law doesn't require a helmet for a 50cc scoot, but they don't know what size my engine is.
**It was a hemorrhage not an accident, but the principle's the same.

As for the jacket and gloves... I'm about to get on a freakin' scooter; the People Think I'm Weird ship has long since set sail. :)
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

TVB wrote:As for the jacket and gloves... I'm about to get on a freakin' scooter; the People Think I'm Weird ship has long since set sail.

:D
Clearly.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I really don't give a C-Rap about what others think or say...

When I was 15 and learning how to drive my instructor told me than my main objective was to get me and my passengers to our destination safely...

ATGATT for me... it's up to me to get myself home safely... I want to live long enough to see grand kids and great-grand kids...
abstraxion

Post by abstraxion »

If anyone ever says anything like that, I simply tell them my little story about when I was working as an EMT in Orange County. A Harley ride took an offramp a little too fast, hit some sand, and slid out, he couldn't have been going much faster than 30 or 40. He was wearing a leather jacket but a half-helmet and jeans.

His big-ass bike ended up creating an angulated tibia fracture, there was severe road rash through the jeans and, although there was no visible trauma to his head, he was screaming and obviously in terrible pain.

I never saw a motorcycle accident with zero protective gear (I kinda think riders in this area think, "Well, since we gotta wear a helmet, might as well wear a jacket, etc") but I'm glad I didn't. Blood tended to kinda stain the floor of the ambulance and having people scream while you're trying to take their BP is a pain. The fact that this guy got so messed up at such a low speed even WITH some gear is testament to the fact that, when you don't wear gear, you're taking a big risk.

Or, I just tell them gear is cheaper than good health insurance!
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

I usually just ignore the thoughtless comments of ignorant people. However, when I feel like responding it is usually this: "Why don't you run down the road as fast as you can then dive, face first, onto the pavement, would you get hurt. This scooter goes a lot faster than you can run and I like the protection." Then I ignore whatever comes next.
Fueldrum

Post by Fueldrum »

Just went for a great Sunday ride with the scooter club the next town over.
Definately a group of regulars and enthusiasts.

That said, every single person on the ride had good shoes, long pants, protective jacket, gloves, and a full-face helmet on.

Was very impressed when I noticed and proud to ride with such a safe group. I didn't say anything because I know gear is a touchy subject with people, but I thought that was truly awesome.

As an interesting contrast, it was Memorial Day weekend and there was a big motorcycle rally in town. Out of probably 50 bikes, I think the most gear I saw were the occasional leather chaps and a few half helmets. Lots of tank tops and sunglasses.

Not trying to claim a stereotype or pass judgement, merely sharing how proud I felt to be a scooterist that day.

Ride safe.
--Nick
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Ride what you feel comfortable in. Ride for the worst case scenario. Ride in flip flops if that's what you're comfortable with (in a slide).

If you're worried about what the person next to you says, twist the throttle and leave them behind to say "oh, I see". It's pointless to explain to others your motives and it's equally pointless to worry about what other's are thinking about you or why they should even care.

Just ride. You'll enjoy it a hell of a lot more if you tune everyone else out.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Roninson

Post by Roninson »

I haven't experienced this, but here in Austin where scoots are pretty popular, I lost track today alone of how many folks were riding with less-than-appropriate gear. Shorts, tank tops, flip-flops seemed to be the uniform of the day (it being Memorial Day & 93 degrees doesn't help). Unforntunately it establishes a norm of sorts & perpetuates the "scooters don't need real gear" mentality, making us who take our safety seriously look over-prepared.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Scooters and motorcycles are as common as flys around here so no one gives a second look. And even if they did, I wouldn't notice because I wouldn't care. :D
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

You've gotta develop a good bone-chilling laugh. Cackle! Guffaw! Show 'em you're having a grand ol' time doing your thing, and leave them there in the dust pondering their navels.

Alternatively, I recommend a nice sturdy Princess Wave. Remember: elbow, elbow; wrist wrist wrist. :D
ModBud #442
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

I tend to not really notice at all, but if confronted my blanket stament has been "If I fall it's my body sliding across the pavement."
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

I tell people that I don't doubt my ability to stay on my bike.

I do however doubt everybody else and their ability to not run right into me.

But in the end, yeah, you're on a scooter. People are going to look at you. I like to think they're just staring because I look pretty good on that scooter.
laxer

Post by laxer »

I just grab them, throw them in their cage, drive it up to 60, and offer them my jacket before I push them out the door, see if they take it.
Gen. Magnus

Post by Gen. Magnus »

iMoses wrote:I really don't give a C-Rap about what others think or say...

When I was 15 and learning how to drive my instructor told me than my main objective was to get me and my passengers to our destination safely...

ATGATT for me... it's up to me to get myself home safely... I want to live long enough to see grand kids and great-grand kids...
I too am ATGATT. I've been damn near killed in a car. I can imagine what that accident would have been like on a scoot.

The way I explain it to people is this: if something happens, it is just me and the pavement. I want gear on that will save my ass - boots, pants, jacket, and full face helm. I use a similar argument when others try to convince me that their decision to possibly by a mainland scoot is a good one (because it saves them money). The argument is just modified to cover chances of part failure.
"Scootering. Fun in the sun cause I'm scootering. Playing ska on my walkman. Scootering with a friend of mine today." - Scootering, The Invaders

Mad Toto Scooter Club of Kansas City
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I just ignore them, end of story!!
I'm by far an ATGATT type of guy BUT I do know what a spill can do even at low speed. I went down on some gravel once at less than 5mph tore me up right through my jeans, not to mention I had only a 'T' shirt on to 'protect' my arm....
I will always wear a helmet & some sort of jacket, I do risk it by sometimes wearing shorts, but NEVER flip flops, heck, I can't keep those damn things on my feet walking.
GEAR is a choice, your choice! They don't like it BUMMER!
Angela

Post by Angela »

I was at a motorcycle store one day on my Buddy and a few of the guys waiting for their bike sin the service area came over to check my scoot out. They were impressed with the safety measures I went through as I geared up. I have a 3/4 helmet and one of the guys was worried I didn't have a full face. He thought it safest no matter what you ride. It was kind of sweet. They were giving me all this advice and chatting gear with me. They loved my scoot and the care I took to ride. I felt good.

On another note. My BFF who has a blue Buddy said I took too long to put all my gear on. She only wears gloves and a 1/2 helmet. Go figure.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Angela wrote:On another note. My BFF who has a blue Buddy said I took too long to put all my gear on. She only wears gloves and a 1/2 helmet. Go figure.
Heh. A friend who hadn't seen me ride before wanted to watch me ride off one night after a gathering. So as we leave, I go over to my scoot and she's standing there, waiting. I'm putting down my backpack, putting on my jacket, getting helmet out of topcase, etc. By the time I started putting my gloves on, she jokingly said, "Could you hurry this up? I didn't know there was a whole ritual involved!"

It is a ritual, though. It's like the scene in superhero and action movies where the heroes gear up.

My delusions of a "get a scooter, hop on and go!" experience were shattered pretty early into scooter ownership. For some reason, it takes me longer than others to put on the same amount of gear. It also takes me longer to say goodbye when leaving a party, to get dressed, to get out of bed. Maybe I'm just slow in many aspects of life except riding and annoying my wife (often because of the aforementioned things that take me longer than most). :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Angela

Post by Angela »

ericalm wrote:
My delusions of a "get a scooter, hop on and go!" experience were shattered pretty early into scooter ownership...
Me too.

My biggest problem, I can't seem to get my jacket on sometimes. Its weird but I get tangled in the liner. Then I need to hook my ipod up to my sound system....its a long process
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

Roninson wrote:I haven't experienced this, but here in Austin where scoots are pretty popular, I lost track today alone of how many folks were riding with less-than-appropriate gear. Shorts, tank tops, flip-flops seemed to be the uniform of the day (it being Memorial Day & 93 degrees doesn't help). Unforntunately it establishes a norm of sorts & perpetuates the "scooters don't need real gear" mentality, making us who take our safety seriously look over-prepared.
then again, its a college town, go figure
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote: My delusions of a "get a scooter, hop on and go!" experience were shattered pretty early into scooter ownership. For some reason, it takes me longer than others to put on the same amount of gear. It also takes me longer to say goodbye when leaving a party, to get dressed, to get out of bed. Maybe I'm just slow in many aspects of life except riding and annoying my wife (often because of the aforementioned things that take me longer than most). :)
+1 to that! I had the same image, even though I knew out of the gate that I was going to go ATGATT. It just takes longer to gear up than you would guess. Drives my wife nuts when I park behind her car in parking lots when we meet somewhere. She wants to pull out and go, and I'm still gearing up :)
TVB

Post by TVB »

:?: I have things like shoes and pants on before I head for the door, and my jacket's on and zipped by the time I get to the scoot. It takes only a few seconds to pop the pet carrier and put on the helmet, then a few more seconds to pull on the gloves. This doesn't take me much longer than it would to unlock a car, climb in, and put on the seatbelt. Is there an incantation or ritual I'm supposed to be doing? :)
ericalm wrote:It's like the scene in superhero and action movies where the heroes gear up.
Clark Kent always seems to do it pretty quickly.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Angela wrote: problem, I get tangled in the liner.........
....its a long process
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's one movie I'd like to see before I read the book!! :wink: :wink:
bunny

Post by bunny »

I lost the liner to my jacket somewhere in the house. So I've been wearing a comparable windbreaker. It's a little thinner, but just as waterproof.

Every morning it's windbreaker, jacket, earbuds, bandanna, helmet before I walk out the door. Then it's gloves while warming up the scooter.

I leave my iPod on the chest pocket of my jacket with the earbuds coiled. So I only have to look for it on Mondays. Otherwise, it gets charged every Sunday night. My ride is less than an hour roundtrip every work day, so it lasts all week on one charge.

I'd rather be geared up and goofy looking than cool looking with an ugly rash, or worse.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

Clevester

Post by Clevester »

KABarash wrote: I will always wear a helmet & some sort of jacket, I do risk it by sometimes wearing shorts, but NEVER flip flops, heck, I can't keep those damn things on my feet walking.
GEAR is a choice, your choice! They don't like it BUMMER!
1,000,000% agree. I never judge anyone by what they wear on a scoot or MC.... except the flip flop wearers. I just scratch my helemt and wonder... Really?
I got enough to pay attention too, and now I have to clench my toes any time I start to move?!?
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

I like the whole gear up process. It gets me in the mind to ride.

As other people have already said. I have my jacket on as I leave the house. I put my ear plugs in on the way there. While I warm up I do a little look over of the scoot and put my helmet and gloves on.

After that, what ever I was thinking about is completely gone and I'm ready ride!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

rabbitgod wrote:I like the whole gear up process. It gets me in the mind to ride...
Totally agree. It's like a pre-game warm up. Focuses the mind. Sports psychologists would concur. I also use my gear up time to give my scooter its pre-ride once over, check tire inflation etc, etc.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Jake

Post by Jake »

I usually tell people about the time I crashed and slid my face into a curb. Without a full face, I wouldn't be as pretty as I am. :wink:
Also, when people hear that it can do 65mph, they're usually get this sorta, 'Oh, well then it's ok," attitude.
I wouldn't mind wearing a jacket, but I sold mine and don't know that I'd wear a new one too often now that the summer weather is near. I guess I'll probably still pick one up...

I also wish there was a super convenient, inconspicuous way to wear knee padding, like under jeans, because the same aforementioned crash has left me with a knee that gets sore faster than the other one when cycling, snowboarding, squatting, etc. But motorcycle pants, even on a motorcycle, are a pain in the ass. Finding a way to carry/store a change of clothes, then having to have it with you all day like if I were to wear them to school, then that adds to the bulk of books and a laptop and everything. Meh...that starts to outweigh the the added safety for a 10 minute trip for me.