Riding on wet roads vs. dry?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ZQ8 Blazer

Riding on wet roads vs. dry?

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

I'm going to head home tomorrow(70 miles) it's been raining here and the roads are a little wet. I've never ridden on wet roads and was wondering how different it was?

So how much different are dry roads compared to:
slightly wet
wet
wet and slightly raining

I won't be driving in med to heavy rain.
-Justin-
louie

Post by louie »

any wet patches will be slippier than dry. take it east on curves.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Freshly wet roads are sometimes the most dangerous as the water lifts up oil that's accumulated.

Any painted surface (stripes, crosswalks) will be very slippery.

You need to allow much more time for breaking and take it much slower on turns.

Honestly, it's not fun riding and I avoid it when possible.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

ok thanks guys. Looks like I'll have my mom take me home and I'll be leaving the scooter here until I can get back which is around 2 weeks from now.
-Justin-
Vic

Post by Vic »

I think the first several minutes of a downpour or when the road is only wet enough to raise the dirt and oil but not wash it away are the most dangerous.

I got caught in some rain today. When the rain started I found the nearest stop point (coffee shop) and went inside to wait for the crap on the roads to get washed off.

After that, I went on home. I am a scooter commuter and had to get over being afraid of wet roads. Yes, you have to be more careful, and you need to make sure your tires are in decent shape, but after that you just have to take it easy...

Never change more than one thing at a time-speed OR direction, never both.
Ride like you have a cup of really hot coffee sitting between your knees with a less than secure lid.
If you get some idiot behind you wanting to jump onto your back rack, just pull over at the next parking lot and let the fool pass you.
If your visor fogs up pull over and wipe it down as best you can (I keep a little tub of Cat Crap and a microfiber cloth to wipe down my visor and the sueded palm of my riding gloves does an excellent job of wiping my visor). Sometimes riding with the visor slightly open helps.
Watch for big puddles and try to skirt the edges if possible, also be prepared if someone else drives through one and you get a shower.
If the rain is really coming down and you can't see clearly, find someplace to stop and have something warm to drink-these kinds of rains tend to be heavy and short lived, might as well go have a cup of coffee and wait until it lightens up-it will.
Remember, rain generally cools things off, so you might get chilled, monitor yourself for getting too cold, especially if you don't have rain gear with you.
Have at least some cheap rain gear with you. :D
Avoid slippery surfaces like paint, smooth metal (I.e. those bloody metal plates or manhole covers...) and such and if you do have to go over them go perfectly straight over them.

Also, remember it is not like you are going from 100% of your normal traction to 10%, typically clean wet roads with reasonable tires you will have something like +80% of your normal traction. This isn't ice we are talking about, just take it easy, don't panic, and you will be fine. Yeah, it sucks to ride in the rain, but it can be done.

-v
sotied

Post by sotied »

Vic wrote:I think the first several minutes of a downpour or when the road is only wet enough to raise the dirt and oil but not wash it away are the most dangerous.

I got caught in some rain today. When the rain started I found the nearest stop point (coffee shop) and went inside to wait for the crap on the roads to get washed off.

After that, I went on home. I am a scooter commuter and had to get over being afraid of wet roads. Yes, you have to be more careful, and you need to make sure your tires are in decent shape, but after that you just have to take it easy...

Ride like you have a cup of really hot coffee sitting between your knees with a less than secure lid.
If you get some idiot behind you wanting to jump onto your back rack, just pull over at the next parking lot and let the fool pass you.
If your visor fogs up pull over and wipe it down as best you can (I keep a little tub of Cat Crap and a microfiber cloth to wipe down my visor and the sueded palm of my riding gloves does an excellent job of wiping my visor). Sometimes riding with the visor slightly open helps.
Watch for big puddles and try to skirt the edges if possible, also be prepared if someone else drives through one and you get a shower.
If the rain is really coming down and you can't see clearly, find someplace to stop and have something warm to drink-these kinds of rains tend to be heavy and short lived, might as well go have a cup of coffee and wait until it lightens up-it will.
Remember, rain generally cools things off, so you might get chilled, monitor yourself for getting too cold, especially if you don't have rain gear with you.
Avoid slippery surfaces like paint, smooth metal (I.e. those bloody metal plates or manhole covers...) and such and if you do have to go over them go perfectly straight over them.

Also, remember it is not like you are going from 100% of your normal traction to 10%, typically clean wet roads with reasonable tires you will have something like +80% of your normal traction. This isn't ice we are talking about, just take it easy, don't panic, and you will be fine. Yeah, it sucks to ride in the rain, but it can be done.

-v
Vic,

That was the most well-reasoned and informative response I've seen in a while. Kudos.

I agree completely and have one tiny thing to add.

Watch out for any metal in the road. Manhole covers, railroad tracks, service openings, grated bridges, steel plates. These are ALL slippery as snot so be careful.

Finally - two weeks without the scoot? Check the radar and check the route. You might have to increase your ride time by 50%, but it might be nice to have the scoot with you for the next two weeks. I'm just saying I'd rather have it near.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

I tend to avoid the center of the road also (this always applies) because thats where the oil from a car drops onto the street. Just stay slightly to one side.
TVB

Post by TVB »

ScootStevie wrote:I tend to avoid the center of the road also (this always applies) because thats where the oil from a car drops onto the street. Just stay slightly to one side.
I assume you mean the center of the lane? Keeping your tires where everyone else's tires go also tends to protect you from dirt and gravel and other detritus that auto tires brush aside.
Last edited by TVB on Mon May 25, 2009 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Vic wrote:I think the first several minutes of a downpour or when the road is only wet enough to raise the dirt and oil but not wash it away are the most dangerous.

-v
Great response!

Also, wind and rain take down pieces of trees, sometimes you find branches in the road. Keep eyes open for those.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

TVB wrote:
ScootStevie wrote:I tend to avoid the center of the road also (this always applies) because thats where the oil from a car drops onto the street. Just stay slightly to one side.
I assume you mean the center of the lane? Keeping your tires where everyone else's tires go also tends to protect you from dirt and gravel and other detritus that auto tires brush aside.

I'm a little tired from my ride :lol: Yes, I meant lane.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Just got back from an hour ride in a downpour. Little uncomfortable when it was heaviest, but otherwise fine. Large raindrops at 55 mph don't feel so good. ;)

Tip I picked up from Kaos: turn your head slightly from side to side so the wind blows the rain off your face shield. (assuming FF helmet). Works nicely at higher speeds. I don't have much luck with it below 40 mph, though.

The first 30 minutes are the most dangerous in more than a drizzle. After 30 minutes of good rain, it's reasonable to expect most of the oil, grease, etc. to have washed off the road.

I found I prefer the left part of the lane. Depending, riding in the tire tracks of whatever cars passed before you is drier road.

Take the curves nice and easy. You can lean, but give them the respect they deserve. If you try knee-dragging stunts, expect to eat the road.

If you're familiar with driving cars in the rain, think about what conditions and speeds you've hydroplaned in. Avoid those.

Slow(er) and steady wins the race. Knuckleheads behind you should be allowed to be in front of you ASAP (when you can safely pull over). I usually look for a wide paved parking lot or such on the side. Wide PAVED shoulder works, too. That way I don't have to come to a full stop or drop too much speed to let one lead-foot by, and I can see that the pavement is clear of debris (like gravel) that would kill traction.

Avoid pulling over in grass. Wet grass might as well be greased.

If your gear (jacket, pants) aren't waterproof...get a shell that is, preferably with reflective something somewhere. Gloves: get a pair that's waterproof and cover the wrist openings in your jacket. Water up your sleeves is a real downer.

BIG TIP!!!: Don't keep important stuff (like your cash and cell phone) in your outer jacket pockets if you don't want it to get wet. My Alpinestar jacket kept me nice and dry, even riding through a downpour. My cell phone took a day or two to dry out. I got lucky. :wink:
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Cheshire wrote: BIG TIP!!!: Don't keep important stuff (like your cash and cell phone) in your outer jacket pockets if you don't want it to get wet. My Alpinestar jacket kept me nice and dry, even riding through a downpour. My cell phone took a day or two to dry out. I got lucky. :wink:
Zip-lock type bags ARE your friend!! I keep several in my 'pet-carrier' at all times....
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KABarash wrote:
Cheshire wrote: BIG TIP!!!: Don't keep important stuff (like your cash and cell phone) in your outer jacket pockets if you don't want it to get wet. My Alpinestar jacket kept me nice and dry, even riding through a downpour. My cell phone took a day or two to dry out. I got lucky. :wink:
Zip-lock type bags ARE your friend!! I keep several in my 'pet-carrier' at all times....
Good idea. I usually have a couple plastic grocery bags and large trash bags with me. The trash bags are for covering my seat if it rains. Riding with wet butt sucks.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

If your not in a hurry, I find that riding in the rain is quite nice, as long as ya take it easy and it's not a torential downpuor, that is.
If there's a car in front of me i ride the shoulder side tire groove.
If no other cars just slow down and cruise.
I keep a packable rain jacket/pants in my pet carrier or my bag.
The only real drag about riding in the rain, is getting wet, if it's cold outside thats a different story. I live in florida it's alot easier to say.
But just take it easy and you should be fine.
Riding in the rain or being without scooter for two weeks? I'll take rain for 100 Alex.
as mother always says: "You aint sugar, you ain't gonna melt."
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

KABarash wrote:
Yeah, I know that NOW. :lol: That was a mistake worth making only once!
Vic

Post by Vic »

Cheshire wrote:
KABarash wrote:
Yeah, I know that NOW. :lol: That was a mistake worth making only once!
But, your experience is a good reminder to the rest of us, maybe some folks will go toss a couple of ziplock freezer bags in quart size in their pet carriers and in the pocket of their jacket so their cell phones don't have to experience a near drowning too!

I wasn't on my scoot when I did it, but I made the same mistake. Unfortunately all the kittly litter in the world could not get it running again, fortunately it was a cheapo free phone and I upgraded, but it still sucked. Now I keep ziplocks stashed all over the place-handly little buggers!

-v
broke

Post by broke »

Vic wrote:Never change more than one thing at a time-speed OR direction, never both.
:+!:
Vic wrote:Ride like you have a cup of really hot coffee sitting between your knees with a less than secure lid.
Vic wrote:This isn't ice we are talking about, just take it easy, don't panic, and you will be fine.

What a great post Vic! I have been riding in the rain this past winter and your post was dead-on. I highlighted my favorite bits :)

My sole crash to date was my own fault... following the car in front of my too closely in a slow turn on a wet road. When the car jammed the brakes suddenly during the turn, I had to grab brake and down I went. That amount of brake on dry roads would have probably been ok (but braking during a turn is always a bad idea), but on the wet road with my Shinkos was no good.

Turn on wet road = OK.

Brake on wet road = OK.

Turn + brake on wet road = bad.
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!