I just had 3 cyclists drafting off my scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sunshinen

I just had 3 cyclists drafting off my scooter

Post by sunshinen »

On the ride home, I pulled up behind 3 cyclists at a light.

At the next light, they pulled up to my right and asked me how fast my scooter went. I said 65. He said, "Oh, don't go that fast. Here pull into the right lane, and accelerate slowly."

I did, and they started drafting off me. I felt like a goose with a trail of goslings.

They made it to about 35-40mph. And then I dropped them like flies. :twisted:

(I was going to slow back down, but they waved me off as they fell back.)

Best ride I've had in a while. :D
Scooter Commuter
Skootz Kabootz

Re: I just had 3 cyclists drafting off my scooter

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

sunshinen wrote:... I felt like a goose with a trail of goslings...
Too funny! What a great visual :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Many cycling teams use scooters for training.
There's a picture of Lance Armstrong's team training with a buddy I think.

30 - 45 mph on a bike is scary fast, good for them, and good for you, for helping them.

Further fueling the idea two wheeled families can indeed work together.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
TVB

Post by TVB »

So that was you I just snapped this picture of!
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :+!:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Nothing like having a line leader who's not having to pedal. ;)
Nice! Kinda makes me want someone to draft me. :lol:
Tomboy.for.Equality

Post by Tomboy.for.Equality »

Awesome story...thanks for sharing
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

:+!: Thats wicked cool. I never thought about bikes being able to draft a scooter, but it makes sense. No different than me drafting a car....
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Me too.....I picked up a lone cycle rider one weekend out on the county roads. He stayed with me for about 1/2 mile or so until I kicked it up and left him. It was fun watching him in my mirror....getting it on big time!
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

So that's what that cyclist was doing! Startled the bejeezers out of me when I looked in the rear view mirror and saw him on my butt!!
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Lazy SOBs.

You'll have to rig up some James Bond equipment and cruise on back there.
TVB

Post by TVB »

dakotamouse wrote:So that's what that cyclist was doing! Startled the bejeezers out of me when I looked in the rear view mirror and saw him on my butt!!
He may have been flirting. Or maybe just trying to reenact his favorite scene from the movie Breaking Away (aka Best Coming Of Age Film Ever). It's hard to tell sometimes.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

drafting in a paceline is one of the most exciting ways to ride. the buzz of the spinning chains spokes and tires when you peel off the front to pick up the rear is inspirational and empowering. it's amazing how much faster a paceline can ride with constant fresh legs at the front.
TVB wrote: Image
this is what I felt like last summer when I took my son-in-law, 2 nephews and a cousin for a scoot around our little beach town. we had 4 50s between me and my neighbor and I had my Burgman. The boyz had all ridden scoots before but limiteds to rentals in KW or Bermuda. I led them all over town like a momma duck & her ducklings. We must have looked pretty funny slow rolling amongst he walkers, joggers and cyclists :lol:
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

BeachBuzz wrote:drafting in a paceline is one of the most exciting ways to ride. the buzz of the spinning chains spokes and tires when you peel off the front to pick up the rear is inspirational and empowering. it's amazing how much faster a paceline can ride with constant fresh legs at the front.
I'm still fairly new to road biking, but yeah, some of the best (and HARDEST) riding I've ever done has been while drafting. So often, (for me, at least) it takes every ounce of effort and concentration to keep up and stay in that draft. I love the technical challenge of my mtn bike and getting out in the woods, but the feeling of riding hard and fast fast fast in a line is thrilling, especially when pushing to stay right on someone's butt and someone is right on your butt ... when even the slightest out of sync twitch could take out everyone. Nothing quite like it.

It was quite impressive to see how fast these guys could go. Especially the guys that were further back and not right on my tail.

The scooter can be pretty tame by comparison. Twist and Go. :D
Scooter Commuter
redcass

Post by redcass »

My DH likes to draft off me too. It's a lovely way to spend an afternoon when the weather is nice.
RedCass
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

I had a cyclist ask at a light to draft off my Ruckus once. 49cc acceleration and top speed was probably just right. :)
laxer

Post by laxer »

beeporama wrote:I had a cyclist ask at a light to draft off my Ruckus once. 49cc acceleration and top speed was probably just right. :)
Wait, on a ruck? Are you sure that you didn't draft him? :P